U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

I was a regular, along with my boyfriend-***-husband at At The Movies aka Moviola (I believe it was a lawsuit brought by Siskel & Ebert that caused the name change). And someone else who remembers the Playboy Club. My boss had lunch meetings there. As a female, it was odd being waited on by a Bunny; we were some of the first females admitted to the Club in 1981! I was employed by Shillito's as their Broadcast Writer/Producer (remember Susie Shillito's?). I loved the Skywalk (Barleycorn's where you would throw your peanut shells on the floor and they had great Happy Hour specials). Also, the jazz club right off Fountain Square below street level -- Bentley's, I believe was the name. Tomorrow's had the best acoustics of any club in town and the largest disco dance floor, I think. Does anyone remember the names of the comedy clubs in Clifton? Was one Giggles? And then there was Zino's. I still can't find a Hot Brown like they made 'em. Wow, thanks for the memories. Cincinnati was a fantastic place to be single in the 80's ;0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:50 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,420,983 times
What's with you people posting in an over 3 year old thread? you can't find anything better to do?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 97,028 times
Nothing wrong with that. I'm stoked that other people remember the Jockey Club. I still miss that place.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM

31,389 posts, read 57,623,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What's with you people posting in an over 3 year old thread?

Since when do shared experiences get old? I'm grateful for any new posts in this thread.

I miss the Jockey Club, too -- even when the bands were mediocre at best, going there was always a fun experience.

Cincinnati was a great place to be single in the 80s!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Yac

5,883 posts, read 6,321,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What's with you people posting in an over 3 year old thread? you can't find anything better to do?
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact we encourage it. As long as the new posts are actually on topic, unlike the complaints about old threads being bumped
Yac.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM

688 posts, read 868,055 times
Aren't there still some portions of the skywalk remaining? Was just downtown today and we walked from 6th & Walnut (Nada) to 5t & Sycamore via a series of sky bridges connecting buildings.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,985,796 times
Yes, remnants are there. But I don't think they're even referred to as being part of the Skywalk any more. Downtown went through a few years of resurgence in the '70s and into the '80s, after losing retail ground to the mushrooming of malls in the suburbs. The Skywalk system was seen as a way to literally capitalize on this by opening up second-floor spaces to businesses which would otherwise have had to wait for something to be available at the ground level. It was also a means of making it easier (particularly in bad weather) to walk from place to place faster and without having to wait for the light at street corners.
At some point, probably around the time the Skywalk Cinemas closed, the popularity of the network hit its zenith and other businesses began failing or leaving. Deserted stretches became favored places for muggers - and the Enquirer, never hesitant about dutifully and heavily reporting urban crime, did its part to scare would-be users away.
Not all that many people downtown are on "shop 'til you drop" missions, tromping between department store and shop and boutique and yet another department store, any longer. Little is there that can't be found in the suburban mall sprawls - which incidentally continue to creep farther and farther out the Interstates north of town. People are far more likely to go there for work, then stay - or return to - what's evolved into a robust arts and entertainment area. My point is that a person's or group's destination is now generally a single spot or a closely-situated pair or cluster of spots, rather than scattershot locations a "Skywalk" system might prove handy for.

What do all of you who are closely observing think about Short Vine these days? Other than Bogart's, Martino's, and the now sketchy-looking Cupboard little from its heyday remained for a long time. But lately all kinds of "urban removal" has been occurring and a few small businesses have tentatively moved in. On the drawing board are still more apartments, retail spaces, and even perhaps a movie theater. We might yet see light-rail service from downtown extended there. A couple of chain hotels have opened in the MLK Drive vicinity. So is it on the cusp of regaining its onetime stature as a bustling destination for "Bearcats" and other young(er) adults? Or is it destined to not shake its reputation for being unsafe, and be full of vacancies in the new generic cubes that replaced the row houses?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 AM

31,389 posts, read 57,623,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
the one jeweler that, like Scully's, relocated every time the city had a bright new redevelopment idea until he finally gave up.
The name of the jeweler just came to me: Dodd's. I can see the storefront as plain as day all of a sudden. LOL I think Dodd's may still be around, just not as a retail store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The Skywalk system was seen as a way to literally capitalize on this by opening up second-floor spaces to businesses which would otherwise have had to wait for something to be available at the ground level. It was also a means of making it easier (particularly in bad weather) to walk from place to place faster and without having to wait for the light at street corners.
At some point, probably around the time the Skywalk Cinemas closed, the popularity of the network hit its zenith and other businesses began failing or leaving.
The number of businesses along the Skywalk back then, when you think of it now, was stunning: souvenir shops, restaurants and coffee shops, clothing boutiques, gift shops and art galleries in addition to the aforementioned Scully's and movie theater.

Quote:
What do all of you who are closely observing think about Short Vine these days?
I can't figure out how Short Vine fell off in the first place, what with the constant re-supply of UC students. There weren't enough of them to scare off the shady characters?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM

5,692 posts, read 5,936,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

What do all of you who are closely observing think about Short Vine these days?
I had heard that the area is deliberately being allowed to go into decline so the university could buy up the land for cheap and turn it into another Calhoun St. which does not look anything like it did when I went to UC in the 80s.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,420,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I had heard that the area is deliberately being allowed to go into decline so the university could buy up the land for cheap and turn it into another Calhoun St. which does not look anything like it did when I went to UC in the 80s.
Since I went to UC in the 50s, don't really have a good opinion on this. Now I had two kids go to UC in the 70s, but like me they commuted from afar (Mason), so they were rarely around during the twilight or rumbling hours. They preferred being close to home as they preferred their HS classmates to those they encountered at UC.

You think Calhoun St. is different now, you should have seen it in the 50s/60s. A broken down stretch of cheap bars totally occupied by UC students. I know, I was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati