U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
On a similar topic, what is the attraction of the so-called outlet malls? The newer Cincinnati Premium Outlets near Monroe off I-75 in particular comes to mind. Just how many outlets can any company have unless they specifically create product for them? Then where is the outlet?

A number of years ago there was an enclosed outlet mall at the North end of Kings Island Drive and Kings Mills Rd. It had a large sign very visible from I-71. I assume they expected traffic from Kings Island to be curious and stop there. I went there a few times until I realized the so-called outlet prices where as phony as a two-dollar bill. When it closed the building was converted into offices. For awhile a large national finance outfit utilized it, I believe as a credit card processing center. Then they decided to relocate. I am not sure whether it is currently occupied or mostly empty.

But the Mecca of outlet malls has to be Pigeon Forge Tennessee. After not having been to the Smokeys for a large number of years we decided to rent a cabin and have all the kids and grandkids there for the Christmas Holidays. The cabin was great, 3-stories with a hot tub on each balcony and sleeping accommodations for 25. Since there was extra space we invited the sister-in-law, brother-in-law and some of their grandkids to join us. Then all of the women discovered Pigeon Forge and went nuts. My son and son-in-laws said Dad we appreciate the vacation time you provided for all of us here, but what the wives are spending in these outlet malls is killing us.
They DO create product specifically for the outlet malls. The following quote pretty well sums up what I've read elsewhere:

"The Merchandise Isnít What You Think
The original outlet and factory stores sold overstocked, discontinued items, and imperfect merchandise unfit for retail sale; thatís what made the prices so cheap. But nowadays, the majority of common outlet stores supplement their stock with merchandise created especially for outlet-store sale. These lines carry the brand name, but theyíre made with lower-quality fabrics and cheaper construction techniques. The companies depend on customersí inability to tell the difference between the quality of real designer merchandise and the lower-quality knockoffs carrying the same label. The knockoffs may be cheap, but that cheapness comes at the expense of quality."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 19,323 times
does anyone know if there was a flyer created for the grand opening of both forest fair and cincinnati mills opening? I have searched online but can't find anything.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM

267 posts, read 592,828 times
from what i read there's going to be traditional and non going into the mall

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castler View Post
does anyone know if there was a flyer created for the grand opening of both forest fair and cincinnati mills opening? I have searched online but can't find anything.
In 2004 when Cincinnati Mills "opened" (re-branded from Forest Fair) they mailed out a blitz of "welcome" flyers locally. We are near Lebanon and we received it. Sorry, I didn't keep it. It just looked real generic with some clever graphics.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
In 2004 when Cincinnati Mills "opened" (re-branded from Forest Fair) they mailed out a blitz of "welcome" flyers locally. We are near Lebanon and we received it. Sorry, I didn't keep it. It just looked real generic with some clever graphics.
If anyone kept a flyer from the original Forest Fair opening, they should have long ago discarded it. Maybe someone will respond and say they actually have a flyer and you will get lucky. The Cincinnati Mills was doomed before they even opened. The latest incarnation, Cincinnati Mall is even worse, renamed in what 2008. The occupancy rate has to be about 30%.

I keep reading they will convert it into something other than a shopping mall, like a tourist destination with a motel, restaurants, indoor water park, etc. Yea sure, Kings Island it is not.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM

only thing saved it is bass pro shops.. kohls, baby's r us,

Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
only thing saved it is bass pro shops.. kohls, baby's r us,
I believe Bass Pro Shops went into the original Parisian store, and Kohls into the B. Altman. Not sure about Baby's R Us. What percentage of occupancy of the total space would you estimate they have?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM

864 posts, read 1,196,697 times
I would say it's well over 30 percent. I haven't been in it in a years, but it was already very empty then. I'm pretty sure the whole side of the mall where Biggs used to be is empty.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM

i remember going into forest fair mall

Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 PM

620 posts, read 991,347 times
Timeout On The Court was the s*** when I was a kid. If I died and had to choose between heaven and Timeout, I'd choose Timeout lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati