U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM

267 posts, read 592,828 times

Advertisements

kj your right
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM

75 posts, read 83,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Thanks for the great documentary about the disaster that has been Forest Fair Mall/Cincinnati Mills/Cincinnati Mall. Your depressing background music selection so nicely conveys the mood of the video.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
I just look for videos on YouTube that I feel are somewhat relevant to CD discussions, I don't make them.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,859,254 times
Whats up with the weird colors at the mall and when i went their they had carpet in it really!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 AM

267 posts, read 592,828 times
carpets been there in parts of the mall

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Guy View Post
Hello. I'm doing a bit of personal research on the late great Forest Fair/Cincinnati Mills. I looked on DeadMalls.com and Wikipedia, so don't suggest those.
Not from here, but...

1) When did CompUSA open? (it closed in 1998, and was replaced with what?)
2) Where was the original food court? (it apparently burned down, says DeadMalls.com)
3) What was "O-2"? (near Guitar Center)
4) What replaced Time Out on the Court and what is there now?
5) Did rival gangs really move into the Mall in the mid-1990s?
6) Did Parisian replace Sakowitz?
7) What was the Festivals at Forest Fair like? When did it become Bourban Street? (there is something here: [url]http://www.southlandstone.com/docs/9-Forest_Fair_Mall_1_.pdf[/url] and here: [url]http://www.southlandstone.com/docs/9-Forest_Fair_Mall_2_.pdf[/url])

8) Does anyone have any vintage mall directories/list of stores in 1989 they can share with me?

9) Any miscellaneous memories/tidbits?

Thanks!
I worked as a dispatcher/security guard for many years at this mall.

1.) CompUSA was replaced with Guitar Center.
2.) The food court was on both the upper and lower levels
3.) I asked several former coworkers, none of us remember "O-2"
4.) After Time-Out went away, some shops were put in. Those eventually fell to the wayside also.
5.) Gangs and the brawls that came with it were common during this time. I remember many a weekend being in the midst of large fights when I worked security, and having to call for help from the county when these fights broke out. The dispatch center had a direct 'red phone' that connected right to the Hamilton County Sheriff's office to allow dispatchers to get in touch with them asap instead of wasting precious time calling in via the standard line.
6.) Yes.

9.) Ah, memories. We always knew the finances of the mall at holiday times. If it was good, we were given full sized turkeys at Thanksgiving. Bad...game hens.

The place was doomed to fail when it started. No one did much research, I think. It opened up with places you find in New York, etc - high end. No one could afford those kind of places. Biggs was their first and the mall was built off of it. Not to mention the fact that you can go a exit or so each way on the highway and get to another mall. Once places like Meijer sprung up across the street, and the rest of the area started getting developed, it's just done with. I remember sitting in a security trunk watching the Meijer get built. Personally, I think they should seal the place up tight and turn it into a huge indoor pool.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM

59 posts, read 82,918 times
6. Parisian and Sakowitz were there at the same time and were 2 of the anchors. Also there was Elder Beerman and B. Altman (now Kohl's location). I think there was one more department store, but I can't remember the name.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM

864 posts, read 1,196,697 times
Aren't there plans now to turn it into a Sports Plus type of complex?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Aren't there plans now to turn it into a Sports Plus type of complex?
We keep hearing rumors of such but I have seen no solid plans. Seems to me to be too large for that kind of endeavor. Where are all of the paying customers going to come from?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM

59 posts, read 82,918 times
I think the other anchor was Bonwit Teller.

About the time Forest Fair Mall (original name) was about to open, there was a promotion on a local radio station about watching for the grand opening of the new "Plummet Mall". This was a hoax, but now it seems that the name was appropriate. The Plummet Mall was rumored to be built all underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati