U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,953,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't quite understand you comment. The whole intent was to overcome the old Mall concept where people just wonder around supposedly shopping. I believe people today do not desire to go shopping, they have an idea of what they are interested in purchasing and just want to go do it and leave. About 90% of my shopping is done on the internet. Just yesterday I went to our local Kohls store and bought a new wallet, as it seemed rediculous to pay shipping for it. But I had already selected what I wanted on the internet, went to the store found it, and left.
Yeah, I think a lot of different kinds of social change have pretty much supplanted the notion of a pleasant three or four hours spent strolling the mall and possibly picking up one or two minor purchases. It's turned into dinosaur behavior, sort of like putting the kids into their jammies, loading the family into the car, and going to the drive-in, or the big extended family gathering for lunch after church on Sunday, followed by a leisurely afternoon of "visiting." None of those activities are gone, they're just things very few people do any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM

109 posts, read 134,611 times
Quote:
But again, the old Mall concept is what is disappearing. So the only thing important is are the current merchants earning a profit or not, not whether they satisfy patrons interests. If they do not make a profit, they too will disappear.

Which the businesses at the new Beechmont Mall have been doing since it opened. Disappearing.
That place is truly a joke. The turnover has been constant. I remember there was actually a scrubs store there a few years ago. A scrubs store! Good grief. They're trying to be Crestview Hills Towne Center but failing miserably.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times
Quote:
But again, the old Mall concept is what is disappearing. So the only thing important is are the current merchants earning a profit or not, not whether they satisfy patrons interests. If they do not make a profit, they too will disappear.

And the "new" mall concept is failing (or has failed).

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
Which the businesses at the new Beechmont Mall have been doing since it opened. Disappearing.
That place is truly a joke. The turnover has been constant. I remember there was actually a scrubs store there a few years ago. A scrubs store! Good grief. They're trying to be Crestview Hills Towne Center but failing miserably.

I was in the Denny's or Perkins right there at the mall 2 years ago. In the early evening hours, my family were the only customers in the place.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM

109 posts, read 134,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I was in the Denny's or Perkins right there at the mall 2 years ago. In the early evening hours, my family were the only customers in the place.
It's an IHOP. They actually do good business there during the day. Not as much at night, but that's expected. The few restaurants in the mall do well, but the shops are sort of a joke.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM

7,670 posts, read 5,414,310 times
As for Forrest Fair, only thing that mall was ever good for was Parisian's (sales only), Kohls, Biggs, Comp USA and a place to walk 4-5 miles a day during bad weather after my heart surgery!

Oh, I forgot, Auntie Ann's Pretzels and the little Gyro Shop in the food court!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
The fire happened in the upstairs part of the food court. A big chunk of the upstairs area above the putt-putt course was walled off. The walkways were still there all around the time-out play area, but there were no stores up there, just white drywall panels. There were gaps in the drywall where you could see storefronts, and I think there was a bathroom back there.
Are you sure that the walled off area up there was a fire and not the old Moore's Fitness? Moore's took half of the upstairs food court for several years until it moved over near where Guitar Center once was. I was a member there and remember that the upstairs food court area was much larger than the area by Guitar Center.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM

603 posts, read 778,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
Are you sure that the walled off area up there was a fire and not the old Moore's Fitness? Moore's took half of the upstairs food court for several years until it moved over near where Guitar Center once was. I was a member there and remember that the upstairs food court area was much larger than the area by Guitar Center.
I think the fire happened right around the time the mall first opened. I'm not even sure if the upstairs food court was ever open. It might have happened before the mall was open to the public. I remember going during the week or two after the grand opening and my brother and I were trying to figure out what that area was good for. We decided the only use for that area was watching people try to take their full Biggs shopping carts down the escalator. I remember there was once a sign to a bathroom up there, but no bathroom. I've seen photos somewhere of the burned up Gold Star, but we didn't see it. There were small gaps in the walls and we saw glass behind them, but that was all we could see.

Moore's moved in years later.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
This is the most recently announced expansion I know of the sports complex at Cincinnati Mills. Still seems ambitious to me. If they can pull it off find and dandy. But we have been told of renovations and expansions here which never actually happened.

Plans for new Cincinnati Mall sports facility expand

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,563 times
Will look for more Time-Out photos. Was part of the Time-Out staff, as Regional Manager from Texas, that opened the Court. Alot of hard work, alot of fun! Hard to believe it's fate, bitter sweet.

Contact me at [email]wmmarks1958@yahoo.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati