U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,591 times

Advertisements

About the food court Dead Malls mentions...it did exist. I remember being able to see a burned out Gold Star Chili behind cracks in the drywall FFM staff used to cover it up. The mall did also drywall up abandoned bathrooms as well during the late 1990's in un-occupied wings of the mall. The staff @ Cincinnati Mall doesn't even do that anymore. The abandoned store fronts and just blacked out (black like tint on the windows) of many former stores. Biggs, Johnny Rockets, Step 'N Style, Games Galore, American Eagle, Wilson's Leather, Media Play, Copacabanna and Namco's Wonderpark are all like this. The mall is basically a ghost town these days. I honestly don't see how they can afford to pay the utilities there. It is truly Cincinnati's dead mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM

189 posts, read 600,895 times
For those that may be interested, there is a blog by a guy, who is a photographer, who loves to photograph abandoned buildings and other interesting things. He was at FFM, and here is the blog:

Queen City Discovery: Portrait of a Dead Mall

I love all his stuff, and this is very interesting!! Enjoy!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
This Mall was dead on arrival.

Too big and on the wrong side of town. It might, I say might, have made it on the Montgomery side.

It was a grand idea to make a shopping experience that would bring in tour buses and visitors. Way to big for normal shopping.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,448 times
Default Forest Fair's early demise

Not sure if you're aware from other sources but the developer of the mall, George Herscu, owned all of Bonwit Teller and B.Altmans and was partnered with Parisians. Although the property was ill conceived to begin with, the Hescu bankruptcy prompted the liquidation of Bonwit and Altmans. That left a lot of cheap, empty space.

Just a tidbit of information from when I worked the bankruptcy.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM

83 posts, read 228,660 times
I believe I found the answer to my questions.

1) When did CompUSA open?
Since the beginning, it was where Guitar Center later occupied.
2) Where was the original food court?
Almost directly above the current one.
3) What was "O-2"?
I think it was just a marker on the directory. Moore's Fitness was there.
4) What replaced Time Out on the Court and what is there now?
I believe it was either Urban Behavior or the movie theaters.
5) Did rival gangs really move into the Mall in the mid-1990s?
Don't know. Seems hard to believe, and if it was, certainly exaggerated
6) Did Parisian replace Sakowitz?
I've heard it did. It lasted from 1991-1998 and was wildly unsuccessful.
7) What was the Festivals at Forest Fair like?
Don't know, but it had shops, restaurants, and a few bars. Not much else is known.
When did it become Bourbon Street?
By the late 1990s only one place remained, America Live, which was replaced by Bourbon Street.
8) Does anyone have any vintage mall directories/list of stores in 1989 they can share with me?
Guess not.

OK, how about the indoor beach playground? It was around in 1998, but not much is known. Obviously it had sand, but did it have water? How much?

Also, was the mall ever "officially" (this means signage and ads) renamed to Forest Fair Fashions prior to Cincinnati Mills?

Last edited by Texan Guy; 08-16-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff

Old 08-16-2009, 08:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,867 times
^No and No.

However, the mall did have a small bumper car area, mini-putt course (like 3 holes or something), a ferris wheel, and a really sweet ball maze exhibit thing.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

83 posts, read 228,660 times
Here are the only two references on the Internet.

"or a mall with an indoor beach playground (Forest Fair in Fairfield)."
The Enquirer's Cinciguide "s", 1997

"The eight-screen Super Saver cinema will remain, as will the Beach and Time Out indoor amusement park."
Forest Fair Mall redefines itself, 1999

This implies the Time Out (the original amusement park) and the Beach area were separate. Much much later, I read that an ambitious prospective owner of Rolling Acres Mall wanted to put a beach area inside the old Target with sand and water fixtures. I can't find a "real" reference for it, though.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,867 times
^Yes, they were. Completely different sections of the mall, if I may add. Time Out was by (included) the Ferris Wheel and was in the big end of the mall near what is now the Danbarry Cinema. The beach was closer to the food court and right next to the amazing ball maze.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
Where is the basketball kinetic sculpture that was in center of mall?? I hope that they didnt trash it

Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This Mall was dead on arrival.

Too big and on the wrong side of town. It might, I say might, have made it on the Montgomery side.

It was a grand idea to make a shopping experience that would bring in tour buses and visitors. Way to big for normal shopping.
I agree with you on the most part, but I would say it would be dead from the beginning on the Montgomery side as well.

To be honest, I think the "mall" in general is doomed .... at least the indoor mall.

I can see something like Rookwood Commons, minus the sea of parking surviving though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati