U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

i am curious about the project you are working on TimeOut

also trying to find who did the design of the original building so i can have structural drawings to help analyze how certain types of uses might fit in the spaces.

i have a feeling this place will become a very special destination in the near future

any help would be appreciated

tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

267 posts, read 593,303 times
the new owners wants to bring it back.. the food court was never on the top floor was on the bottom
near the theater

Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
the new owners wants to bring it back.. the food court was never on the top floor was on the bottom
near the theater
This has been announced several times before by prior owners but never materialized. My guess is it will not materialize this time either. The structure was designed as an enclosed shopping mall and is not going to be readily converted to anything else. Due to distance I have only been there a few times, mainly when it was new due to curiosity.

In comparison, the last time a couple of months ago I was in Tri-County Mall on a Saturday afternoon it was like a ghost town. Very little traffic. I am surprised the retailers there can remain viable. In contrast I recall when years ago Tri-County was a bustling place and I was frustrated just trying to get in and out of the parking lot.

As many have observed, these gargantuan malls are becoming white elephants. If you have a singular purchase in mind, by the time you park and make the long walk to the particular store you are already irritated. The days when the specialy seasons such as Christmas had crowds of people walking through the mall, shopping and making purchases at multiple stores are gone.

I mentioned going to Tri-County recently. The only reason I went there was I had purchased an HD TV set and needed an HD receiver from TWC. I knew TWC has an outlet store in Tri-County. So I went down there with my old receiver to trade it in as I was unwilling to wait for their service technician to show up at my house. That was when I noticed how empty the place looked.

Tri-County must be having trouble hanging on. The traffic is just not there. Cincinnati Mall or whatever they decided to name it has already fallen off the cliff, more than once. Announcements in the newspaper are cheap, actual bricks and mortar are not.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:16 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,620,829 times
You want to see a dead mall, go to Beechmont Mall (or whatever it is called now) in Anderson. I remember crowds there in the 1980s and early 90s. It is a joke now. Even Eastgate is struggling. I was in town visiting last summer and stopped in Eastgate several times over the course of a week. While the mall appears clean, there was nobody there.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 AM

i talked to a guy at borders.. since their gone sears might leave if that happens that will hurt northgate
my g/f and i went to kenwood they were busy

Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM

213 posts, read 539,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut on the Court View Post
Well, the last corp to buy Cincinnati Mills (turning it into Cincinnati Mall) was doing it for only a turn around profit. They had no intention to clear up the roadblocks that would stop Cincinnati Mall from turning around.

What issues am I referring to? Taxes. But the new company has stated they intended to pay off these taxes, lower the rent and revive this mall.

So....perhaps the juggernaut has one final breath left in her....
Man that would be great if it happened. I keep hearing rumors of this. Forest Fair is by far the nicest mall in Cincinnati. The layout is great, the interior is beautiful with the wood floors, etc... It's really ashame it hasn't gotten back on it's feet. Although it seems like a longshot, I'm still holding out hope that someday it will.

Obviously I appear to be in the minority as one who has and always will prefer the enclosed mall over the outdoor Rookwood Common type places...

Last edited by Montrell; 05-19-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM

213 posts, read 539,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You want to see a dead mall, go to Beechmont Mall (or whatever it is called now) in Anderson. I remember crowds there in the 1980s and early 90s. It is a joke now. Even Eastgate is struggling. I was in town visiting last summer and stopped in Eastgate several times over the course of a week. While the mall appears clean, there was nobody there.
No doubt. I was never a fan of Anderson Towne Center or whatever they called it after they tore down the mall. I liked the Mediterranean restaurant they had there and that was about it. Everything else seemed like your typical strip mall store. The way they designed it was really bad too. It's a wonder more accidents dont happen with the way the lanes run into each other. And you're right, there isn't much to Eastgate. It was always my least favorite mall in Cincy. There just isn't much there.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 AM

125 posts, read 219,373 times
Poor management has doomed Forest Fair since its inception really. It's a huge mall, and the Cincinnati Mills decorative scheme I liked, just not the racist management that implemented a dress code targeted at young black males soon the facility reopened under Mills management. They have never been able to lure enough tenants is the bottom line with this place. Even in its "heyday" with Biggs, TimeOut arcade, the dollar Showcase theatre and Parisian, there wasn't nearly enough in between those huge anchors.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 AM

only thing saving them is bass pro shop babys r us kohls

Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
I was in Cincinnati Mills last week to check out Bass Pro Shop and, while there, walked out into the mall - or what's left of it. I hadn't been in this mall for at least the last 10 years and I'm not sure many other people have either. It was like being in a submersible gliding silently through the wreck of the Titanic, it was that creepy. Completely empty storefronts that are so pitch-black inside you can't even see to the back wall. Eerie mall music piped through speakers echoing off the walls. Even the food court was a depressing site, with barely two or three spaces open and zero customers patronizing them. The wing that Bass Pro Shop is in has no tenants, and the top floor is closed off altogether with ropes blocking a derelict escalator.

I felt like Jack Torrance in The Shining, walking through the deserted Overlook Hotel. I wonder if the security guards there go mad?

This is probably as close as we get around here to a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati