U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM

800 posts, read 616,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Elementary school classes in Mason have 25-30 kids each. It sounds like a lot and it is, however, they make it work. The teachers are very very good. Young, attractive, and peppy 25-40 year old women....real wholesome women....many are sorority girls from Miami (yum-yum). School administrators are good......Fed Ex would approve how efficiently they move the kids to lunch room, phys. ed, etc. Truly impressive sight to behold.

Mason is snobby only in a couple neighborhoods in Heritage and Long Cove (in my experience).....have to go to Indian Hill and that area for true snobbery (East Coast---old money---private school type snobbery). No one is from Mason...everyone moved there from somewhere else (this has it's advantages and disadvantages). There's nothing distinguishing Mason from any other upper middle class suburb in the Midwest (again, this has it's advantages and disadvantages). Very conservative which is a big reason why it's so successful.
on so many levels.

Firstly, the teachers are very, very good because they are young, attractive, and peppy? Is this serious? Good teachers are good teachers because they can stimulate intellectual thought that incorporates a variety of viewpoints. They are not good teachers simply because they are attractive sorority girls from Miami.

In fact I honestly snickered when you came up with the link between real wholesome women and sorority girls at Miami. I know a ton of Greeks at Miami and wholesome is one the last things I think of when it comes to that. Not that that's a bad thing, but I can guarantee most of them aren't shining paradigms of "Evangelical Christian" values if you really knew them, but then again it seems the determinant for a good teacher in the Mason area is being a pretty, conservative, young woman, forget men, which our education system desperately needs more of.

The comment about Indian Hill is so off base it makes my head spin. Mason has plenty of "new money" snobs which depending on your personality is typically much more obnoxious than the aloof, but kind old money types.

Lastly, Mason's location is the reason for its success, not conservatism

Walnut Hills, despite having a way, way lower average income still blows Mason City Schools out of the water, and I would say its one of the most liberal high schools in Cincinnati. Indian Hill, I believe has leaned Obama the past two elections and is better. Ditto for Mariemont. These schools also offer smaller class sizes and more opportunities for students to participate in various activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Walnut Hills, despite having a way, way lower average income still blows Mason City Schools out of the water, and I would say its one of the most liberal high schools in Cincinnati. Indian Hill, I believe has leaned Obama the past two elections and is better. Ditto for Mariemont. These schools also offer smaller class sizes and more opportunities for students to participate in various activities.
Do you seriously want us to believe Indian Hill voted for Obama in the last two elections? And also Mariemont. How much of that weed they made legal in Colorado have you been smoking? Please identify all of those activities which the students in those schools have access to which the students of Mason do not. When you tout the virtues of Walnuts Hills, that is one school out of a total student population of how many? Considering Mason is a single district considerably smaller than CPS, I would say on a per student basis the one who blows the other out of the water is the other way around. The number of students in CPS which are left on the wayside are several times the magnitude of those who get lost in Mason. And since when does the label of liberal define the ability of a school to educate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati