U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM

152 posts, read 140,242 times
" and you don't have to worry about being mugged in the parking lot" So, when will this passive aggressive ignorance stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
" and you don't have to worry about being mugged in the parking lot" So When will this passive aggressive ignorance stop?
When those advocating the Alabama Fish Bar quit commenting it is probably safer in the daylight. I am sure from all the recommendations it is a good place, but I am not anxious to go there. Face it, there are places downtown which are dicey at the least.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 PM

152 posts, read 140,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
When those advocating the Alabama Fish Bar quit commenting it is probably safer in the daylight. I am sure from all the recommendations it is a good place, but I am not anxious to go there. Face it, there are places downtown which are dicey at the least.
Maybe so, but Alabanma Fish Bar is a heck of a lot more authentic than a chain restaurant in the white bread suburbs! Did national tv host Guy Fieri just spend a whole week in Mason? No, but he just did in Over The Rhine, going to at least four restaurants I know of.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Maybe so, but Alabanma Fish Bar is a heck of a lot more authentic than a chain restaurant in the white bread suburbs! Did national tv host Guy Fieri just spend a whole week in Mason? No, but he just did in Over The Rhine, going to at least four restaurants I know of.
Like many so called chain restaurants, Old Bag of Nails started in Columbus with a single proprietor breading and frying his own fish. It became so popular he opened another couple of outlets, and now the one in Mason. That is the way successful restaurants grow, starting with the single restaurant Dave Frisch built his BigBoy chain out of.

National TV Host Guy Fieri was in Mason a Hell of a lot sooner than OTR, or maybe you missed the episode he did at Blue Ash Chili. That was at least 3 years ago, because he recognizes an authentic mom&pop operation when he sees one. And BTW he spent 3 days at Blue Ash chili, just one location. It took him 3 years to find his way to OTR. His motto of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is not geared to the trumped up fare being served at the majority of OTR establishments.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Despite the panhandlers and the lack of parking, Alabama Fish remains the best. Not even close. Boathouse second.

And, the Senate has the best hamburger I have ever had in a restaurant (thanks to Avril Bleh - also an OTR fixture). But nothing can compare to the Senate's Duck Fries.

OTR owns good food in Cincinnati right now, and those with fears about leaving their Lilly white shopping center spots are missing out on something great.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
His motto of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is not geared to the trumped up fare being served at the majority of OTR establishments.
I agree with that. There are two places in OTR that meet that description: Alabama Fish House and Tucker's. But he went to the new, fancier places.

We tried Salazar the other night. Really an extraordinary experience.

It should be nowhere near Guy Fieri.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:47 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
The facade of Alabama Fish has been "made over" so that it's more utilitarian and less funky to look at. But it's heartening to see that they're still there despite undoubtedly escalating rents.

Speaking of "white bread," to the best of my knowledge at least 98% of the active participants in this forum are melanin-challenged. But from what I can gather from my Web travels, the mini-chain of Richie's Fast Food (its actual name) has a fairly considerable Caucasian following specifically for their piscine offerings. So, have any of my fellow C-D'ers tried them yet? The business's marketing strategy, pretty brilliant if you ask me, is to purposely locate where the national places refuse to go. Poor Black folks also have to eat every day and also don't always feel like cooking, after all. Anyhow, Richie's restaurants are on Linn St near Ezzard Charles Dr, on the corner of Yarmouth Ave and Reading Rd in Bond Hill (just north of the Norwood Lateral), and at Woolper Ave and Vine St - better known as "where you used to turn to go to the zoo before the parking lot was moved."

IIRC a fish-and-chips restaurant was launched in Price Hill's "Incline District" a year or so ago, but it's apparently no longer around. I guess not enough people were inclined to try it or to return (hahaha.) However, there is a Louisiana Fish Bar on Queen City Ave around what would be termed either South East Westwood or North East Price Hill. Since (as is the case for BBQ) you almost have to go to a shaky part of town for good eatin' of some things, that alone recommends it.

Last edited by goyguy; 07-14-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The facade of Alabama Fish has been "made over" so that it's more utilitarian and less funky to look at. But it's heartening to see that they're still there despite undoubtedly escalating rents.

Speaking of "white bread," to the best of my knowledge at least 98% of the active participants in this forum are melanin-challenged. But from what I can gather from my Web travels, the mini-chain of Richie's Fast Food (its actual name) has a fairly considerable Caucasian following specifically for their piscine offerings. So, have any of my fellow C-D'ers tried them yet? The business's marketing strategy, pretty brilliant if you ask me, is to purposely locate where the national places refuse to go. Poor Black folks also have to eat every day and also don't always feel like cooking, after all. Anyhow, Richie's restaurants are on Linn St near Ezzard Charles Dr, on the corner of Yarmouth Ave and Reading Rd in Bond Hill (just north of the Norwood Lateral), and at Woolper Ave and Vine St - better known as "where you used to turn to go to the zoo before the parking lot was moved."
I'm familiar with it, never tried it though.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

IIRC a fish-and-chips restaurant was launched in Price Hill's "Incline District" a year or so ago, but it's apparently no longer around. I guess not enough people were inclined to try it or to return (hahaha.) However, there is a Louisiana Fish Bar on Queen City Ave around what would be termed either South East Westwood or North East Price Hill. Since (as is the case for BBQ) you almost have to go to a shaky part of town for good eatin' of some things, that alone recommends it.
Not necessarily. This may have been mentioned up-thread years or so ago, but Lake Nina in White Oak has a fish log I'd put up against anything in town. Of course, it's not a storefront dive, it's a dive with table service.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM

goyguy ...

Went and looked up the local Richie's and their menu. For an outfit you state is geared to Poor Black Folks, at those prices they better not be too poor. The majority of the menu was chicken in some form or another.

I finally got down to the fish section where they had 5 varieties. 3 of the 5 I don't care for prepared commercially, particularly Tilapia. And since Whiting is a generic name for a whole gamut of fish species I try and avoid it. The only perch I want is lake perch out of the Great Lakes and then fried in butter. I do like cod which is my favorite. And I do like catfish if it is prepared New Orlean style. New Orleans fish and chips served in paper will give the British a run for their money.

Interesting looking menu, but I didn't see anything not duplicated by dozens of other operations at similar prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati