U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,456,274 times

Advertisements

I am sad to report that Alabama Fish on Race has deteriorated a little bit. I suspect new management or ownership. But, two recent visits were less than spectacular. Its still probably the best fried Cod, but there is something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,386,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I am sad to report that Alabama Fish on Race has deteriorated a little bit. I suspect new management or ownership. But, two recent visits were less than spectacular. Its still probably the best fried Cod, but there is something wrong.
Sorry to hear you report that. Alabama Fish is just another place I have never been to in Cincinnati, but that is not unusual, I quit going to Cincinnati years ago, considerably less wear and tear on my body. But that is not the point, have read many posts on this forum stating they are the number 1 fish place in the city. So I am sad for you to report not keeping up to standard.

I like fish, but it has to be MILD fish, basically the whitefish family. Perhaps the best fish I can remember was when my in-laws bought a house down in Cape Coral FL. Since FIL was on a canal and had a dock, he must have a boat, bought a large one. Was down there on a visit. A neighbor said let's go fishing. Besides gasing up the boat went to the current home type store and bought several large new plastic trash cans. Then got enough ice to fill them up. Out on the Gulf we went. FIL had a depth finder, fish finder, you name it. But the neighbor is the one who knew what he was doing. Said we are looking for Grouper, and man did we find them. Best fishing of my life. Filled up those trash cans in nothing flat. So back home we came. Again the neighbor was the expert, called up the entire neighborhood and said We are having a fish fry! He gutted and filleted all of those fish. The neighbors dragged all of their grills over, in those days still charcoal.

My job was to go and get enough ice (and beer) to refill the trash cans. I swear it was the best grilled fish I ever had, though the beer might have been an influence.

Another of my favorites was Squire Jacks. Went there frequently when my kids were young. Drove to the store and then back home. Still remember the taste.

So once again, sorry to hear about about any decline at a Cincy fish restaurant, whether it is one I frequent or not. Need them to sustain ourselves.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sorry to hear you report that. Alabama Fish is just another place I have never been to in Cincinnati, but that is not unusual, I quit going to Cincinnati years ago, considerably less wear and tear on my body. But that is not the point, have read many posts on this forum stating they are the number 1 fish place in the city. So I am sad for you to report not keeping up to standard.

I like fish, but it has to be MILD fish, basically the whitefish family. Perhaps the best fish I can remember was when my in-laws bought a house down in Cape Coral FL. Since FIL was on a canal and had a dock, he must have a boat, bought a large one. Was down there on a visit. A neighbor said let's go fishing. Besides gasing up the boat went to the current home type store and bought several large new plastic trash cans. Then got enough ice to fill them up. Out on the Gulf we went. FIL had a depth finder, fish finder, you name it. But the neighbor is the one who knew what he was doing. Said we are looking for Grouper, and man did we find them. Best fishing of my life. Filled up those trash cans in nothing flat. So back home we came. Again the neighbor was the expert, called up the entire neighborhood and said We are having a fish fry! He gutted and filleted all of those fish. The neighbors dragged all of their grills over, in those days still charcoal.

My job was to go and get enough ice (and beer) to refill the trash cans. I swear it was the best grilled fish I ever had, though the beer might have been an influence.

Another of my favorites was Squire Jacks. Went there frequently when my kids were young. Drove to the store and then back home. Still remember the taste.

So once again, sorry to hear about about any decline at a Cincy fish restaurant, whether it is one I frequent or not. Need them to sustain ourselves.

I think it was the fish and not the beer that colored your memory.

Fresh Grouper grilled on charcoal is probably the best fish there is, any species, any preparation. I have been trying to duplicate a similar grilled Grouper I had on a fish dock on Florida's west coast 30 years ago to no avail.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think it was the fish and not the beer that colored your memory.

Fresh Grouper grilled on charcoal is probably the best fish there is, any species, any preparation. I have been trying to duplicate a similar grilled Grouper I had on a fish dock on Florida's west coast 30 years ago to no avail.
Sometimes we have an experience which just sticks with us. After all these years still can't forget those Grouper. The FIL decided FL was too damn hot, sold the house and built a new one in Fairfield Glades, TN. Downsized the boat to a pontoon type, sufficient for puttering around in the TN lakes. Nice enough place but never caught a fish there comparing to Grouper. Ended up going to the local dump in Crossville TN which at least had a good fried Cod.

Don't fry it anymore, but my current best is a previously frozen Cod from Kroger. After thawing have several processes for baking it. Still must have my Frisch's Tartar Sauce to top it off, about the only product of theirs I still buy.

When I was a young boy, a long time ago now, my uncle had a Frisch's in Lawrenceburg IN on US 50. I worked there during the summer, filling in for employees taking vacation. They would get fish shipments, not sure exactly what type, from somewhere out West. They came in solid Large fillets and were cut to size in the store. My uncle spent many an hour prepping that fish. My uncle, since it was his store, would cut out anything he felt was not right and discard it. Those where the days when Frisch's absolutely had the BEST fish sandwich in the city.

But times do change, have enough years on me now to understand that.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sometimes we have an experience which just sticks with us. After all these years still can't forget those Grouper. The FIL decided FL was too damn hot, sold the house and built a new one in Fairfield Glades, TN. Downsized the boat to a pontoon type, sufficient for puttering around in the TN lakes. Nice enough place but never caught a fish there comparing to Grouper. Ended up going to the local dump in Crossville TN which at least had a good fried Cod.

Don't fry it anymore, but my current best is a previously frozen Cod from Kroger. After thawing have several processes for baking it. Still must have my Frisch's Tartar Sauce to top it off, about the only product of theirs I still buy.

When I was a young boy, a long time ago now, my uncle had a Frisch's in Lawrenceburg IN on US 50. I worked there during the summer, filling in for employees taking vacation. They would get fish shipments, not sure exactly what type, from somewhere out West. They came in solid Large fillets and were cut to size in the store. My uncle spent many an hour prepping that fish. My uncle, since it was his store, would cut out anything he felt was not right and discard it. Those where the days when Frisch's absolutely had the BEST fish sandwich in the city.

But times do change, have enough years on me now to understand that.

Yea, back then they had Halibut for their sandwich. Can't beat it because it is somewhat dry and goes super with the tarter sauce. There came a time when they switched to cod. I know it was before the late 70's because I was on the outside audit team at Frisch's corporate and complained about it to Jack Maier (in a joking sort of way, of course. He was the boss).

They revived the Halibut fish sandwich at Annette's in Kenwood for a time. But back in the 50's is was Halibut.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:11 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,769,262 times
Baked smoked Trout is excellent. Had a memorable experience in a Toronto restaurant in the late 1980's that I can still recall to this day. Best fish I ever ate that I did not cook myself.

Anything like this available in the Cincy area?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,954,480 times
All I can say about Alabama Fish is that although I've not yet ambled through their doors, the exterior renovation of their building into something less "ghetto" and more "slick" in appearance doesn't bode well.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:48 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,433,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Baked smoked Trout is excellent. Had a memorable experience in a Toronto restaurant in the late 1980's that I can still recall to this day. Best fish I ever ate that I did not cook myself.

Anything like this available in the Cincy area?
I believe that Mitchel's has baked smoked trout. Not 100% sure

Old 02-28-2015, 04:22 PM

528 posts, read 578,414 times
I still like Frisch's fish sandwich but, it seems every time I go there their sandwiches are smaller than the last time. I also like Lake Nina's fish log, which someone else mentioned. I prefer grilled fish most of the time, but it's harder to find grilled fish sandwiches. Butterbee's in Anderson TWP right off I-275 HAS an excellent grilled tilapia sandwich but, I don't get there very often. Found out today at lunch that Buffalo Wings and Rings also has a grilled tilapia that is very close to Butterbee's.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
I still like Frisch's fish sandwich but, it seems every time I go there their sandwiches are smaller than the last time. I also like Lake Nina's fish log, which someone else mentioned. I prefer grilled fish most of the time, but it's harder to find grilled fish sandwiches. Butterbee's in Anderson TWP right off I-275 HAS an excellent grilled tilapia sandwich but, I don't get there very often. Found out today at lunch that Buffalo Wings and Rings also has a grilled tilapia that is very close to Butterbee's.
Some good quotes on fish. But if I hear the name tilapia leave me out. Can't think of another fish I would rather not have, especially when I look it up and they say it is the name for over a hundred common species of fish.

Maybe I am too critical, but I would like to be capable of identifying the fish I am eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati