U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,605,028 times

Advertisements

Everyone says Bridgetown Finer Meats on Bridgetown Rd. has amazing fish sandwiches. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I plan to in the next couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:59 PM

528 posts, read 576,412 times
My wife's boss brought that in for her office lunch last Friday, huge fillets and excellent flavor.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Everyone says Bridgetown Finer Meats on Bridgetown Rd. has amazing fish sandwiches. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I plan to in the next couple weeks.
We picked sandwiches up last Friday. They cost $9 now and if anything are even better than in past years. You can phone your order in and they have a drive through/curb service arrangement so you don't need to even get out of your car. The sandwich will easily feed two people, especially if you supplement it with their delicious slaw or another side item. It's a large, flat, moderately breaded slab of some mild white fish on rye and comes with lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes on the side. I could practically eat their tartar sauce with a spoon, it's so good.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
We picked sandwiches up last Friday. They cost $9 now and if anything are even better than in past years. You can phone your order in and they have a drive through/curb service arrangement so you don't need to even get out of your car. The sandwich will easily feed two people, especially if you supplement it with their delicious slaw or another side item. It's a large, flat, moderately breaded slab of some mild white fish on rye and comes with lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes on the side. I could practically eat their tartar sauce with a spoon, it's so good.
Thanks for the promo. When something good is being served it is nice to get the word around. I assume this is a seasonal offering timed with Lent. Is that true or is it year round?

Years ago I would work at my uncle's Big Boy in Lawrenceburg IN on US-50. That was back in the days when the fish was cut and trimmed in the stores. I could guarantee a good fish sandwich there since Mace did the preparation himself and discarded any portions even looking suspiciously strong. But as is often said the times they do change.

BTW, Mace was his nickname, actual name George of which he was not enamoured. Last name was Mason, so he just went by Mace. Great uncle and a great restaurant owner/manager. Since I am 74, he quietly passed some time ago. But the one thing which sticks in my mind is his resolute to always serve his customers something they would come back for. When he left the Lawrenceburg store it was to take over a store in Washington Courthouse OH which was failing with the understanding he could become franchise owner. He not only got it back on its feet, but got a 2nd franchise in Chillicothe OH which he hired another one of my uncles to manage. They served those communities for many years and were renown for their fish sandwiches(plus anything else they served).

Sarah, thanks for reporting there are still people out there who concentrate on serving their customers. Let's hope we give them enough business to avoid the strictly grind mill operation.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM

I don't think they do the fish any time except Fridays during Lent. They do offer a nice selection of pre-cooked items, but I think exclusively refrigerated. In fact, they fry the fish in a bunch of huge kettles outside the back door in the parking lot.

Kudos to the township law enforcement for stationing two officers there on Friday afternoons for traffic control. They need it. It's a mob scene.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't think they do the fish any time except Fridays during Lent. They do offer a nice selection of pre-cooked items, but I think exclusively refrigerated. In fact, they fry the fish in a bunch of huge kettles outside the back door in the parking lot.

Kudos to the township law enforcement for stationing two officers there on Friday afternoons for traffic control. They need it. It's a mob scene.
But sounds like it is a deserving mob scene. Townships need to support anyone who serves a better than average serving of anything.

I went to the local Old Bag of Nails operation near me the other night. Ordered two dinners of their fish & chips for carryout. Was very pleased. At our age the wife and I do not consume such large portions. So we had dinner and kept the other half for lunch the following day. Nice to get two meals out of one. Quality and taste were good.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 PM

So I won't argue about the best fish. I just want some Good fish and I am happy So I am happy this franchiser out of Columbus is opening these bar/club/restaurants with his signature fish dinners. Far as I am concerned he is about beating everyone else. At the same time I realize what a competitive business it is. Just give me some good fish and I will be there.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 PM

Another outfit I have to comment on is Arby's. Been there twice this week for their beef brisket sandwich. Have to say they have elevated about 400 degrees. Don''t know who took over the chain, but their slimy thin cut roast beef is now a complete turnaround. Great to see some businesses turning themselves around.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:49 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Another outfit I have to comment on is Arby's. Been there twice this week for their beef brisket sandwich. Have to say they have elevated about 400 degrees. Don''t know who took over the chain, but their slimy thin cut roast beef is now a complete turnaround. Great to see some businesses turning themselves around.
This is really great to hear although off-topic. I've been a fan of Arby's since their "Is Delicious" days and before clueless me had to be told by his father that "Arby" is derived from the letters "RB," standing of course for Roast Beef. DUH.
For the longest time the chain had been trending downward in terms of number of locations. The last outlet around Boston was torn down several years ago. It got so that I had to add them to my "fast food I can't get back East" list along with Long John Silver's. And then...Arby's started disappearing in Cincinnati too! Their store on Reading Rd in the "frontier" between Woes Lawn and Reading shut down a year or so ago. (No surprise, though, since 'most everything thereabouts has been doing the same thing - sad to say.) More shockingly, their big place in what looks like a onetime bank building - at the prominent intersection of East McMillan and West Clifton - had "CLOSED" and "FOR LEASE" signs in the windows at Christmas time.

Back on track: I think this thread is as good a place as any to let loose on where the good fish fries are in 2015. What a letdown to learn that Am Lux's and Sarah's new go-to place only makes their "big enough for 2" sandwiches at this time of year. I was all set to host a meetup there.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
This is really great to hear although off-topic. I've been a fan of Arby's since their "Is Delicious" days and before clueless me had to be told by his father that "Arby" is derived from the letters "RB," standing of course for Roast Beef. DUH.
For the longest time the chain had been trending downward in terms of number of locations. The last outlet around Boston was torn down several years ago. It got so that I had to add them to my "fast food I can't get back East" list along with Long John Silver's. And then...Arby's started disappearing in Cincinnati too! Their store on Reading Rd in the "frontier" between Woes Lawn and Reading shut down a year or so ago. (No surprise, though, since 'most everything thereabouts has been doing the same thing - sad to say.) More shockingly, their big place in what looks like a onetime bank building - at the prominent intersection of East McMillan and West Clifton - had "CLOSED" and "FOR LEASE" signs in the windows at Christmas time.

Back on track: I think this thread is as good a place as any to let loose on where the good fish fries are in 2015. What a letdown to learn that Am Lux's and Sarah's new go-to place only makes their "big enough for 2" sandwiches at this time of year. I was all set to host a meetup there.
It's actually a meat market, so no seating available any time of year. We went again last Friday mostly so we could also pick up a sandwich for our neighbor, and the traffic was so bad we'll probably swear off the rest of this season. Best to try to get there by about 4:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati