U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Another outfit I have to comment on is Arby's. Been there twice this week for their beef brisket sandwich. Have to say they have elevated about 400 degrees. Don''t know who took over the chain, but their slimy thin cut roast beef is now a complete turnaround. Great to see some businesses turning themselves around.
Good to know, I've been intending to try one. Has anyone had their fish sandwich lately? I seem to recall they used to be pretty tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:54 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Good to know, I've been intending to try one. Has anyone had their fish sandwich lately? I seem to recall they used to be pretty tasty.

In a fit of desperation a couple of months ago, after reading an article promising good FF fish, I made the rounds of four fast food places to see if there was a decent fish sandwich. Two bites, toss in can. Sorry Charlie. Nothing worth eating. Wendy's was the best if that term can be applied to the choices.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
In a fit of desperation a couple of months ago, after reading an article promising good FF fish, I made the rounds of four fast food places to see if there was a decent fish sandwich. Two bites, toss in can. Sorry Charlie. Nothing worth eating. Wendy's was the best if that term can be applied to the choices.
Thanks. I did try one from Burger King and had exactly that reaction. In the interest of full disclosure, I do eat McD's sometimes if they're on sale like they are now. You can't exactly even call it a fish sandwich, it's a soft, globby fish sandwich-like sandwich that's oddly appealing mostly because of the tartar sauce and gooey bun. But I appreciate the warning off the rest of them.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,946,405 times
Quote:
Thanks. I did try one from Burger King and had exactly that reaction. In the interest of full disclosure, I do eat McD's sometimes if they're on sale like they are now. You can't exactly even call it a fish sandwich, it's a soft, globby fish sandwich-like sandwich that's oddly appealing mostly because of the tartar sauce and gooey bun. But I appreciate the warning off the rest of them.
I'm an inveterate fan of the Filet o' Fish for a quick snack every month or so. What nails it for me is the slice of processed orange-dyed cheese (maybe cheddar) that goes into each one. And if the bun weren't rubbery white bread and the tartar sauce exactly the same every time I'd start something at the counter. The true secret of the sandwich's success, though, is that it's a faithful replication of what was offered in my public school cafeteria every single Friday! No one can resist nostalgic food.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 AM

682 posts, read 475,878 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. This may have been mentioned up-thread years or so ago, but Lake Nina in White Oak has a fish log I'd put up against anything in town. Of course, it's not a storefront dive, it's a dive with table service.
Seriously.

2015 Fish Fry Directory | Catholic Telegraph

Last edited by sspistol; 03-13-2015 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Adding some Fish Fry linkage!

Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,609,317 times
Just had a fish sandwich from Wassler's Meats on Harrison Ave and it tasted great!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Just had a fish sandwich from Wassler's Meats on Harrison Ave and it tasted great!
It is gratifying to hear several people say you can find good fish sandwiches in Cincinnati if you know where to go. I think I am going to have to go and try Arby's, as I have been very pleased with their upgraded meat sandwiches in the past several months, good quality and large variety. I was particularly in the mood for the beef brisket sandwich this past week, but I did notice they had fish sandwiches on special at 2/$5. Can't believe they would work to upgrade the other meats and then fall down on the fish at this time of year. My current plan is for dinner tonight. They are in fact about the closest fast food restaurant to me.

For years I swore by Frisch's, but not so much anymore, too inconsistent in their preparation and product control today. For a long time I could get a rise out of them by just emailing Blanche Maier with a complaint. But today's generation not so responsive.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-14-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Restaurants, fast food in particular, are such a competitive business. I was extremely surprised a short time ago when I saw the Wendy's close to me closed and frankly demolished. I always considered it decent. To my surprise, a little over a week later I was coming back up Kings Island Drive and saw this brand new Wendy's at the intersection of Kings Mills Rd. By that time they drop the OH-741 designation and it is simply Kings Mills Rd. The new Wendy's is a big operation and right across the street from a McDonalds. Obviously they are going toe-to-toe. Hope Wendy's has their game plan figured out. McDonalds has been there forever and constantly expanding.

I want my food decently prepared and appealing, plus obviously a little taste. But some of these outfits seem to be following corporate directives I am not sure mesh with their local companies. OK Wendy's decide to expand, but I hope you have the figures on business volume when Kings Island is NOT open. If your plan is a McDonald's competition, good luck, what products are you going to introduce to outdo theirs.

As I said, my favorite local draw is Arby's. If they deliver me a decent fish sandwich tonight they will rise to #1 in my book. In my opinion all of the corporate number crunchers are the problem in the fast food business. They want to follow some mandate of a person in accounting who has never managed a restaurant in their life, a pure numbers operation. They need to pay attention to the customer, which most of them I believe neglect.

OK, I will report on Arby's fish, good or rot gut. If rot gut they will likely never see me again.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:19 PM

5,656 posts, read 8,763,412 times
Quote:
Restaurants, fast food in particular, are such a competitive business. I was extremely surprised a short time ago when I saw the Wendy's close to me closed and frankly demolished. I always considered it decent. To my surprise, a little over a week later I was coming back up Kings Island Drive and saw this brand new Wendy's at the intersection of Kings Mills Rd. By that time they drop the OH-741 designation and it is simply Kings Mills Rd. The new Wendy's is a big operation and right across the street from a McDonalds. Obviously they are going toe-to-toe. Hope Wendy's has their game plan figured out. McDonalds has been there forever and constantly expanding.

I want my food decently prepared and appealing, plus obviously a little taste. But some of these outfits seem to be following corporate directives I am not sure mesh with their local companies. OK Wendy's decide to expand, but I hope you have the figures on business volume when Kings Island is NOT open. If your plan is a McDonald's competition, good luck, what products are you going to introduce to outdo theirs.

As I said, my favorite local draw is Arby's. If they deliver me a decent fish sandwich tonight they will rise to #1 in my book. In my opinion all of the corporate number crunchers are the problem in the fast food business. They want to follow some mandate of a person in accounting who has never managed a restaurant in their life, a pure numbers operation. They need to pay attention to the customer, which most of them I believe neglect.

OK, I will report on Arby's fish, good or rot gut. If rot gut they will likely never see me again.
I remember the first time I ate at Arby's was immediately after I graduated from High School. The shop was in Jamestown, NY. Spent time on the lake there with some friends since my friend's father and mother owned a vacation home. Went to Arby's a couple of times. 1981. Very good at that time. But yes, something changed by the 1990's and the beef quality declined. I ended up eating Chicken sandwiches just as much as beef there. I just went to an Arby's a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year and I noted an improvement in the quality of the beef. Chicken was just as good as ever. All natural.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,143,300 times
Quote:
Old Bag of Nails Fish & Chips in Mason on Kings Mills Rd, opposite end of Kroger Building. It is lightly breaded and fried cod, and you don't have to worry about being mugged in the parking lot, though I am sure you don't in Blue Ash either.
This was my go to spot when I lived in Columbus, and when I first came to Cincinnati area having this place right down the street was great. They need to get outdoor seating like the one in Gahanna has.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati