U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times

Advertisements

We are home shopping and are looking in the Lakota, Mason, and Kings school districts. We have found a home we really like in the Kings school district. All 3 of these are rated "Excellent with Distinction" (yay) but then in the school report card for Kings, Columbia Elementary is identifed for needing improvement and deemed "SI" status. I tried to find more info on the Dept. Education website and googling, but haven't found anything. Does anybody know where to find out more about what is wrong with Columbia? Trying to decide if it's a big deal or not. Here's the Report Card, Page 6:
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcardfiles/2007-2008/DIST/050435.pdf
Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 AM

66 posts, read 166,805 times
I am not sure why Columbia Elementary is listed as a school in improvement. The only things I can think of are that this was an error or something silly with No Child Left Behind may have caused this. Columbia might have experienced a year where the test scores didn't rise? Sometimes this happens in excellent school districts such as Kings where the test scores are already extremely high. The test scores can only improve so much each year when they are already very high. (I checked and Lakota had a few schools listed under SI as well). Anyway, as a Kings graduate, I can assure you Columbia is a great school. I have a brother who attends Columbia now and other siblings attending different schools in the district. The teachers and students are great, there are many activities to get involved in, and the academics are superior. I enjoyed my two years at Columbia. Kings is an excellent medium sized district. I know students who attend Mason and Lakota, and while they are both great districts, the size can be overwhelming. At Kings, students graduate in a class of about 300, opposed to 1,000 in nearby districts. At the same time, there are still many of the AP and elective courses offered at the high school. Most of the schools in the district are fairly new, and the high school is undergoing a major expansion and renovation. Many students are involved in activities at Kings and the athletics are great. Our teams are often ranked in the top of those in the FAVC district. The district and community are excellent and the Kings community is a great place to raise your kids. I hope this helped! Kings and Columbia will not disappoint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati