U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,662 times

Advertisements

I am brand new to this forum and came across it while exploring Cin for a possible relocation. I was wondering if I might get the groups thoughts on the best part of town to live if you are into road cycling. Loveland comes to mind but there must be other areas to explore. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 25,457 times
I do a lot of road cycling where I live (West Chester area) and it's getting a lot better. There are some other areas (Hyde Park, Oakley) that are good as well. But, your best bet is Loveland. I hate the snow that we have had so far this winter! It's been cramping my cycling style.... so I have been doing the spinning classes over at LA Fitness in Fairfield. It helps me get through the winter

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
You will find TONS of cyclist in Hyde Park, and the East End (along the riverfront).

Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,432 times
The most well-developed area for road cycling in the Cincinnati region is anywhere accessible to the Little Miami bicycle trail. Loveland is the most popular jumping off point, but Milford or South Lebanon are also along the trail. The bike trail itself can be used to go to locations north and east of town where you can go on actual roads. So, one answer is to stay in the north eastern suburbs (Kenwood, Montgomery, Mason, etc.)

The main problem with locating farther west of the trail is that there are no continuous trails that can get you out of the suburban mess of West Chester, Mason, etc. However, Butler county outside of Middletown and Hamilton is quite hilly and picturesque. It is just under-supplied with paved trails. Northern Butler county and southern Preble county are really good for cycling - less trafficed than closer in to the city.

To characterize the bicycling conditions around Cincinnati:

Straight north - the area between Rt 4 and I-75 up through Dayton - fuggedaboutit.

Southern Warren county - busy, best bet are the trails.

Eastern Warren county and into Clinton county - excellent for riding.

Clermont - fairly flat in the northern sections, but very busy around Milford. Out past Milford toward Blanchester, quiet and good for riding.

Butler county, west of Hamilton and Middletown - excellent, but quite hilly.

Indiana and KY - no idea. (I live in Warren Cty.)

Hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

181 posts, read 489,740 times
I know its a bump from a while back...I was just wondering if anyone has anything else to add, or new? Looking to relocate next year and looking for a place that cycling is easy to access and get >100mi/week in.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 AM

7 posts, read 19,703 times
Milford is the head of the bike trail and a lot less expensive than Loveland. If you have plenty of money look off of Wards Corner Rd. There are houses whose back yard actually borders the bike trail. Anywhere in that area is good because people are used to seeing cyclist and watch for them.

-4WeHelp Cincinnati's Helpful Movers

Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 AM

206 posts, read 501,741 times
I grew up in Milford and it is a wonderful place!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 32,609 times
Mad,

I would second the Hyde park/Oakley area. They have a few cyclist groups that meet for group rides on Weds (or at least used to when I lived there). It all depends on what you want from your cycling. I have a friend who works downtown who cycles up Mt. Adams (read BIG hills) everyday at lunch. The bike trail is nice. I also know a few serious cyclists in the Clifton area. All I can say is you have plenty of cycling opportunities in the Cinti area.

Best of luck.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or