U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
TLC on Reading Road near (or in) Evendale has a big sign up saying they are doing free quotes for yard work right now...I would them for some specifics. They have some good quality plants and my neighbor who is a master gardner buys from there all the time..
Oh... I think that is the on the northern edge of Reading Ohio near the train tracks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,560,693 times
No, that is reading feed mill..TLC is just a little further north on Reading on the right, almost on the corner of Reading & Cooper.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
Does anyone have any experience with Spring Hall Nursery? I got their catalog in the mail today.

Just based on a quick glance, they seem to offer MUCH cheaper prices than some of the other nurseries I have visited. Any bad experiences? Do you actually get a reasonably sized plant, or are they basically seedlings that won't mature in one season?

Also, does anyone know when the last freeze generally is? I keep looking at all these seed packets that want me to sow after the last frost of the season. Being new to the area I don't have much of a clue. I noticed that the average nightly low rises above 32 starting March 15th, but that's all I could find.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Spring Hall Nursery? I got their catalog in the mail today.

Just based on a quick glance, they seem to offer MUCH cheaper prices than some of the other nurseries I have visited. Any bad experiences? Do you actually get a reasonably sized plant, or are they basically seedlings that won't mature in one season?

Also, does anyone know when the last freeze generally is? I keep looking at all these seed packets that want me to sow after the last frost of the season. Being new to the area I don't have much of a clue. I noticed that the average nightly low rises above 32 starting March 15th, but that's all I could find.
Spring Hill? I have never ordered from them before but many nurserys which do send items send small plants or bare root plants. I wouldnt say they are seedlings, but some items I have received in the mail take a few seasons to reach their full potential. Just my opinion though I personally like to go to garden stores and select my plants and not have to deal with the hassel of mailing something back if it doesnt live. The mailing back just becomes frustrating..and being frustrated is NOT what gardening is about.

As for seeds...well, Cincinnati is a Zone 6 (but I sometimes follow zone 5 too which is just a tab bit north of us). Rule of thumb is to not plant until mothers day but since I have mostly perennials, I usually start planting my window boxes and annuals around the last week in April because I just cant wait! But my veggie garden, no, I wait until after Mothers Day and keep a little sheet handy to throw over the garden on those chilly nights.
Happy Gardening!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
Hehe, yeah, Spring Hill ... sorry about the typo. Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I'll try out the mail-order nurseries with something fast growing like annuals, bamboo, or vines. But that's amazing that planting and seeding doesn't even start until May!! That's something that I don't think I'll ever get used to. In Florida, May is when you have to start worrying about all the things you planted in January wilting in the heat

Last edited by Joe 4520832257; 03-05-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Just start the seeds inside in a sunny window and move them outdoors during the day and back in at night....I have many things in my yard that reseed themselves each year and the weather never hurts them--but I will throw a sheet over them if the weather is expecting some frost which will kill the young seedlings. I have neighbors with greenhouses and last year when may rolled around he gave me a couple 3' tall tomato plants. It was great!
The gardening season is short here but there are many beautiful gardens in Cincinnati and I am sure you will find ways to make the season last.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times
Wow! Totally opposite from my experience! I just moved here from suburbs of Detroit last year and was ecstatic because I could start planting so much earlier (April, really).

In Detroit - the rule is Mother's day -- but honestly, it gets so hot here so quickly (by June 1st here, its pretty warm) that starting plants in May I'd worry that they'd still be pretty tender when the hot weather arrives.

I realize that planting early you may lose a few - and you have to keep in mind micro-climes, etc..

but I think we have a LONG growing season here (approx April - October). I got 2 extra months (verging on 3) by moving 200 miles south - YiPPEE!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,563,387 times
We haven't used Spring Hill nurseries since I was a kid, but my folks ordered stuff from them nearly every year. I don't remember any problems. They are located up at Tipp City I believe. One thing we have learned, it is better to get perennials from a local grower who started the plants. The ones at the big "box" locations may not be accustomed to the climate here. I don't think annuals are quite as sensitive, but it is always nice to work with people who make a living with plants. You seem to get more "caring" assistance.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
Thumbs up Springhill Nursery

Springhill Nurseries is actually located in Ohio and if you want you can even drive to their location...however..I have been using them for probably 5 years with no problems online. (website has more plants and specials!) Anyways, if a plant doesn't survive...no matter what the reason is, they replace it free of charge (they don't even charge you shipping!) And you do not have to send back a dead old plant. I have only had to return one or two plants and I am assuming many had problems with those types because they were discontinued later and Springhill actually sent me a check for the price I paid. The plants usually say on the website how they come...(4" pots..or bareroot for example) If it doesn't say you can call and ask..they will also give you advice! I just ordered 15 poplar trees that come as 2-4 ft trees (for $45 after my coupon!) I can't wait to get them in! I recommend this company all of the time due to thier warranty. Most nurseries will not do that! Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post

Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysoccermom View Post
Springhill Nurseries is actually located in Ohio and if you want you can even drive to their location...however..I have been using them for probably 5 years with no problems online. (website has more plants and specials!) Anyways, if a plant doesn't survive...no matter what the reason is, they replace it free of charge (they don't even charge you shipping!) And you do not have to send back a dead old plant. I have only had to return one or two plants and I am assuming many had problems with those types because they were discontinued later and Springhill actually sent me a check for the price I paid. The plants usually say on the website how they come...(4" pots..or bareroot for example) If it doesn't say you can call and ask..they will also give you advice! I just ordered 15 poplar trees that come as 2-4 ft trees (for $45 after my coupon!) I can't wait to get them in! I recommend this company all of the time due to thier warranty. Most nurseries will not do that! Hope that helps!
If only they had a dating service... hrmm (j/k)

Thank you. I will check them out. T-minus a few days until I pull the trigger on around 30 Wintergreen or Green Velvet Boxwood shrubs. So far Lowes (near tri-county mall) has the best deal for the small ones. $6.97 a piece and they are all healthy little things. Sharon Nursery has boxwoods that are around the same size but they will cost you at least $34 to $54!!!! Kinda ridiculous? The worst place I've visited so far was on Route 42 just north of I-275. Pinecrest Nursery. DO NOT GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati