U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM

41 posts, read 101,670 times

Advertisements

We live about 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Dayton. I noticed that both are having their Home and Garden Show events this weekend. For those who have been to both in the past, which one is better, if we only have time to get to one? We will be looking for ideas, suggestions, tips, and possible professionals to help us out with landscaping and hardscaping this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,560,693 times
I enjoy the one in Cincy and have not been to one in Dayton. I am going to the one in Columbus which starts this weekend and have never been to that one either.
Take a camera with you too....I love to take the pics and use them as ideas for my own yard.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times
The one in Cinci starts this weekend, but is also on NEXT weekend. Also remember you can save $2 by buying your tix at Home Depot.

Last year the Cinci show had amazing landscaping ideas - that's the reason we're going! We hope to do a patio this year.

Happy looking!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
I visited the 2009 Cincy Home & Garden Show 3 times via my job...dismal showing....some small spurts of people...overall, worst showing in years...I spoke to many contractors who spent their last dimes hoping for projects...sign of the times...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Thats sad to hear.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
I went on opening day. It was very dissapointing overall.

Perhaps I went in with the wrong expectations, but the vast majority of vendors were contractors and other service providers. There wasn't much for the do-it-yourselfer. For example, there were all sorts of people who would pave your driveway, but not a whole lot that brought an extensive inventory of stone paver selection, or even a good catalog. It was more like, "hey, yeah, I'll pave your driveway." ... very underwhelming.

We actually talked to a few companies and are going to get a little work done. But they were basically companies we had already known about anyway, and just happened to pass by their booth rather than call them up.

I have a feeling that smaller, more approachable projects (like specialty lighting, molding, or fixtures that you can't find at the big box stores) would have done well, as those booths were packed. But they were few and far between.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Well there is always the flower show in April if that if you are looking for gardening tips and ideas. I heard they moved it to a park in Symmes Twp. instead of having it at Coney Island this year.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM

41 posts, read 101,670 times
We ended up going to the Dayton and Cincinnati Home and Garden show on the same day (first weekend of the Cincinnati show). The Dayton show was basically a waste of time and money. Only 1-1/2 rows even had anything to do with garden or landscaping. Most of it was booths selling non home and garden items! By comparison, I thought the Cincinnati one was great. We were there on the first Saturday, late afternoon. It was rather crowded. We were there because we have major landscaping, a very large pave stone patio, and other projects we are going to hire for this spring. Very few people working these types of booths were even ambitious enough to talk to us to see what our needs were. It was almost like the companies hired people with no knowledge to man their booths. Very disappointing in that aspect, but did get a few good ideas from just looking around. We are setting appointments with companies that sent us literature in the mail on their offerings since the people at the show were less than eager to want any business.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 13,743 times
Werbrich's did a great job. The waterfall was amazing. Seilers uses the same booth year after year after year. LTD does a great job, very colorful. Not impressed by Natorp's, Smithscapes, or the one that won best of show with the green hanging thing and the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati