U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,664 times
Default Moving...need information on commute and neighborhoods

My husband just got a job near the Great American Ball Park by the Ohio river. I've never been to Ohio, so I don't know anything about the place. We really need some ideas of some good, safe neighborhoods that are within a 30 minute drive to his work. How's the commute? We'll be renting initially. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,247,581 times
Just about any part of the city or any of the suburbs are within 30 minutes of the ballpark (downtown) so you have all the choices you want. Aside from safety, what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Progressive? Conservative? Nightlife? Quiet? Shops? Farms?

It also makes somewhat of a difference if you have kids.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:10 PM

I have two young kids. I'd like to be close to things (I don't want to live 20 minutes from the grocery store), but I still would like a quiet, "country" feel. But that's very encouraging that he could get to work within 30 minutes. We used to live 8 miles from where he worked, and it would take a good 45-60 minutes in traffic...

Would you recommend northern Kentucky? Or does it matter? In general, what are some of the better neighborhoods?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,913,228 times
I really like Ft. Thomas Kentucky. it has a really small town feel, but as you will probably see on the map, you are really close to Great American Ballpark. They have the whole range of houses and apartments and pretty good schools. And, I do suggest KY.

The top neighborhoods for you to consider are Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Mariemont, and Terrace Park in Ohio and Fort Thomas, Fort Mitchell and Villa Hills in Ky.

You won't find a rental in Terrace Park or Villa Hills though.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: add comment about rentals

Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

710 posts, read 1,919,718 times
I would recomend Mariemont

Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,306,701 times
I would not recommend NKY, myself. I would recommend something on the east side, like Hyde Park, Oakley, Norwood, or Kenwood. HP and Kenwood can be high for buyers but for renters there are good deals to be found. Its about a 15-20 minutes commute down 71 South from there to downtown and 71 is a much easier highway to access than 75 (if you end up on the west side). Also, you dont have to mess with the bridges or the cut in the hill, which you do if you end up in NKY.

G Man

Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,162 times
Hello- I hope you are excited for your move to Cincinnati! As many here have posted, nearly all of the suburbs in the Greater Cincinnati Area are very convenient to downtown via I-71 and I-75. The East side of Cincinnati is known as the 'nicer' area- with many walk-able communities (Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Lookout) and it is convenient to downtown. The property values also hold much stronger on the East side. However, being born and raised on the West side, I must also say it is a great part of town. It is equally convenient to downtown and offers some great deals in awesome communities.

I am a licensed Realtor with Huff Realty in Cincinnati and would love to help you make your move. I know you mentioned you will be renting initially, but if you would like to discuss other options (lease-purchase, or just some really great deals) then feel free to contact me. Our relocation department at Huff will provide you with the help and expertise that you are looking for. If you have any questions about Cincinnati or local real estate, please let me know! Thanks-Tim 513-598-3244

Last edited by MoveToCincy; 02-25-2009 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Problem with text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati