Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times

Advertisements

My wife is a doctoral student at Childrens and I am a postdoc at UC. We have been renting in Newtown, but are now ready to buy our first home. We have an 18-month old. We do not plan to stay for more than 3-4 years. We are city folk who recently moved from NY and LA. We are looking for neighborhoods that have a good resale value, are family friendly, and have good commuting time to Childrens and UC.

I have heard from folks that Hyde Park, Oakley, Kenwood and parts of Norwood would be a good fit. A few other areas we are considering are Clifton, Walnut Hills, Northside and Evanston.

My wife and I also saw a property at Villages of Daybreak in Bond Hill as well as City West near the Music Hall. The tax abatements are appealing as well as the fact they are new construction but we are concerned we will have a hard time selling when we move. In addition, Mason and Loveland may offer more house for the dollar, we are concerned about the long commute with a toddler, especially in bad weather. This year we got stuck in the snow a few times and we cannot imagine being stuck with a toddler. We were also told that the eastside is more tolerant than the westside. How true is this?

Finally, I know all the homes that are within a reasonable distance to Childrens and UC are old homes. Is it better to buy an old home with a short commute or a new home with a long commute? Which would seller easier?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
gaslight clifton is great and probably your best choice.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
gaslight clifton is great and probably your best choice.
I'd agree with this recommendation.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times
As usual i would side with Norwood. Puts you close to everything and its going to have as good resale value in these times as any. If you do your homework, you can get a good deal and even make a little in a small turn around like 3-4 years.

G Man

Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,821 times
Hello- I hope you are excited for your move to Cincinnati! As a few have already posted, the Gaslight area of Clifton is a very nice place to live (walk-able community, great architecture, good property values, convenience to hospitals and UC) Personally I lived in Clifton/Corryville while attending UC and I love the area. I am actually looking to move back. The East side of Cincinnati is known as the 'nicer' area- with many great communities (Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Lookout, Norwood) and it is convenient to downtown. The property values also hold much stronger on the East side. Norwood will give you all of the conveniece of the east side with some great deals on houses. However, being born and raised on the West side, I must also say it is a great part of town. It is equally convenient to Clifton and offers some great deals in awesome communities. Personally, I would not choose Mason or West Chester simply due to the commute to UC/Childrens, but they are great neighborhoods.

I am a licensed Realtor with Huff Realty in Cincinnati and would love to help you make your move. If you have any questions about Cincinnati or local real estate, please let me know! Thanks-Tim 513-598-3244 TTrauth@huff.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati