U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times

Advertisements

I would generally agree with the comments of MoveToCincinanti above.

I think I would like to see you get a job first to understand your commute better. Cincinnati is not the easiest small city to commute in if you are in the absolute wrong direction. And, since so much of Cincinnati business is now in what we used to call suburbs, I'd like to know where you will work before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,780,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
It was once said that a black man could not be found after dark in Norwood Ohio. And, that was not all that long ago.
Well that's certainly not the case anymore. I'm new to the area, so I'm not well informed on the historical context. However, anyone who goes to Norwood today can certainly see that it has a very diverse population as of right now.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,669,145 times
Quote:
Oh, I hate to be disagreeable, but Norwood is the last place I would suggest for two college educated persons with apparent racial diversity. Historically, Norwood Ohio was the home of the Fisher Body GM assembly plant where redneck blue collar workers (mostly white, UAW union workers) found their way from Kentucky and Tennessee. Almost everyone in Norwood was connected in some way to the GM plant. The plant is closed now, but their third generation descendants populate Norwood aplenty. It was once said that a black man could not be found after dark in Norwood Ohio. And, that was not all that long ago. It has been described as the twelve step capital of the US because it has more bars and AA meetings than anywhere else. That is an exaggeration, of course, but you get the point.

Today, a sprinkling of yuppy renovators have made thier mark on Norwood, and the all black surrounding neighborhoods of Bond Hill, Evanston, Kennedy Heights have encroached somewhat. This is a good thing for Norwood and the area. But the schools are terrible and there is absolutely no charm whatsoever. I'll let others give you their best positive suggestions but I'd take Norwood off the list, period.
However informed where basic history is concerned, this is such a dated view of Norwood that it is laughable. I'm not sure where all of this big bar scene and subsequent aftermath exist but I'm sure it is more likely to be found on the east side of I-71 in Oakley. Try telling the AA family that just purchased a house behind ours on Grove Avenue (yes, the desirable part of Norwood...not near Bond Hill or Xavier) that they can't be found after dark. There have been a handful of houses sold recently within view from my front door and all of the people moving in are young families/professionals. The 3rd generations you are referring to are the only thing sprinkled in the easten part of Norwood any longer and the Chevrolet Cavaliers are disappearing quickly as Audis and Volvos take their place in driveways.

The major drawback is something most people will agree on... Norwood Schools are not known as being very good. You would need to look into private schools, but many people do this anyway... regardless of neighborhood.

Please don't count Norwood out of the picture completely!!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,768,082 times
Quote:
I would generally agree with the comments of MoveToCincinanti above.

I think I would like to see you get a job first to understand your commute better. Cincinnati is not the easiest small city to commute in if you are in the absolute wrong direction. And, since so much of Cincinnati business is now in what we used to call suburbs, I'd like to know where you will work before making a decision.

I dont really know where Ill work. Ill likely be coming with out a job though. Its not the easiest thing to get hired when you live 10 hours away.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 18,815 times
Sorry, I did not read the TOS completly. By all means I am trying to help, I will no longer mention that I am an agent. It will not happen again. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont really know where Ill work. Ill likely be coming with out a job though. Its not the easiest thing to get hired when you live 10 hours away.
Since you don't really have a plan yet, wouldn't it be better to rent for a year and then take time to really learn the communities you might choose? If I were renting, I think I would choose Hyde PArk or Mariemont which both have lots of affordable rental properites and are convenient to most areas. Then you can see where you end up.

PS: Mariemont has better schools, and has very charming, affordable townhouses.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
However informed where basic history is concerned, this is such a dated view of Norwood that it is laughable. . . Try telling the AA family that just purchased a house behind ours on Grove Avenue (yes, the desirable part of Norwood...not near Bond Hill or Xavier) that they can't be found after dark. There have been a handful of houses sold recently within view from my front door and all of the people moving in are young families/professionals. The 3rd generations you are referring to are the only thing sprinkled in the easten part of Norwood any longer and the Chevrolet Cavaliers are disappearing quickly as Audis and Volvos take their place in driveways.
Well, look, I don't hate Norwood. I'd fit in fine there. I grew up six blocks from Norwood. And, I wish Norwood well. But, I stand by my characterization that Norwood's legacy of a "no blacks welcome" is still alive and well. Proof? Norwood is a low cost (almost 20% lower house price than Cincinnati), lower income (65% of Ohio average) city completely surrounded by three suburbs of the City of Cincinnati each of which is almost entirely black. Bond Hill 90%+ black, Evanston 90%+black, Kennedy Heights 50%+ black. Proof of the perceived racial separation is found in the following City-Data facts:
Races in Norwood:

• White Non-Hispanic (93.4%)
  • Black (2.3%)
  • Hispanic (1.9%)
  • Two or more races (1.4%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
  • Other race (0.9%)
Thats 400 black people in Norwood. And, as you know if you live there, there are several streets that are technically in Norwood that are more accurately part of other the surrounding black neighborhoods. I would bet that you can find whole city block areas in Norwood where no black person lives or ever has lived, ever.

Now, how would Norwood, in 2009 have 2.3% black families other than by the perception that Norwood is not for blacks?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,669,145 times
Norwood (east) is for anyone looking to be in a good neighborhood for an amazing price. As I stated earlier, there is a black family currently moving into a house just behind ours and the boxes are still being sorted and taken into the home. Go ahead and cling to these statistics (which you and I both know are never close to being accurate or up-to-date) and your youthful memories of Nor-tucky.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Well, look, I don't hate Norwood. I'd fit in fine there. I grew up six blocks from Norwood. And, I wish Norwood well. But, I stand by my characterization that Norwood's legacy of a "no blacks welcome" is still alive and well. Proof? Norwood is a low cost (almost 20% lower house price than Cincinnati), lower income (65% of Ohio average) city completely surrounded by three suburbs of the City of Cincinnati each of which is almost entirely black. Bond Hill 90%+ black, Evanston 90%+black, Kennedy Heights 50%+ black. Proof of the perceived racial separation is found in the following City-Data facts:
Races in Norwood:

• White Non-Hispanic (93.4%)
  • Black (2.3%)
  • Hispanic (1.9%)
  • Two or more races (1.4%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
  • Other race (0.9%)
Thats 400 black people in Norwood. And, as you know if you live there, there are several streets that are technically in Norwood that are more accurately part of other the surrounding black neighborhoods. I would bet that you can find whole city block areas in Norwood where no black person lives or ever has lived, ever.

Now, how would Norwood, in 2009 have 2.3% black families other than by the perception that Norwood is not for blacks?
I thought I was being pretty charitable above. I'm glad there are folks with a dream moving in to Norwood. But, its just a dream. Hope it comes true some day. Frankly, I can't see where very many upscale folks can be found who don't care about neighborhood charm, schools, or honest city government. Who will those people be? For now, I'll cling to published statisitcs and the observations I make as I drive through Norwood twice every day.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,768,082 times
Quote:
Since you don't really have a plan yet, wouldn't it be better to rent for a year and then take time to really learn the communities you might choose? If I were renting, I think I would choose Hyde PArk or Mariemont which both have lots of affordable rental properites and are convenient to most areas. Then you can see where you end up.

PS: Mariemont has better schools, and has very charming, affordable townhouses.

Likely we will be renting at first, however, I wouldnt even move there in the first place if it wasnt some place that had the characteristics of what I wanted to buy. Its going to be a significant investment just to pack up and move in itself, certainly not one that Id want to waste if I just had to do it again to go somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati