Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post

The diversity thing about Clifton is way over rated. This is no longer 1955 and my Asian friends living in No Ky love it there. In Cincinnati, "diversity" is code for "lots of blacks." That doesn't translate well into a better lifestyle of necessity because of the differential demographics of urban black famailies in Southern Ohio. K
What are you talking about? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Clifton has a huge Indian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
What are you talking about? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Clifton has a huge Indian population.
I know exactly what I am talking about, and if you could read, you would know what I am talking about too. But, since you are such a splendid person, I'll explain it to you:

The diversity thing about Clifton is way over rated. This is no longer 1955 and my Asian friends living in No Ky love it there.

When I lived in Clifton in the 60's and early 70's, my Indian friends liked Clifton because it was viewed by them as "safe." A place where they would be free from ethnic prejudice. Since Asians are now accepted everywhere (except maybe St. Leon Indiana), living in Clifton as a safe place is no longer necessary. It has a very high crime rate (both my son and his friend Ashwin have been broken into 4 times between them in 18 months in Clifton), so I said it is over rated. It is.

In Cincinnati, "diversity" is code for "lots of blacks." That doesn't translate well into a better lifestyle of necessity because of the differential demographics of urban black famailies in Southern Ohio.

This statement is utterly true. Do you not understand and agree with this simple observation?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 43,878 times
wilson1010, I think I would need to be sold more on the idea of living in Kentucky. My husband's Arab, I'm of Asian descent, and we're Muslim. I've only ever lived in California and have experienced little prejudice. Living in a suburb close to the airport would be ideal but I don't know how well we would be received in those parts.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut's mom View Post
wilson1010, I think I would need to be sold more on the idea of living in Kentucky. My husband's Arab, I'm of Asian descent, and we're Muslim. I've only ever lived in California and have experienced little prejudice. Living in a suburb close to the airport would be ideal but I don't know how well we would be received in those parts.
I hear your concerns. Things have changed a lot in the Midwest, but I will call a couple friends tomorrow to see if there is a substantial Asian or Arab presence around the airport. I'll post up again.

I can tell you that you are less likely to experience prejudice in a predominately white community here than in a predominately black community. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I'll stand by it.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM

204 posts, read 745,118 times
peanut's mom,

I posted a link for Clifton, and I think you should check the area out. There is a mosque on Clifton Ave. ~ 3668 Clifton Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45220. The area is very diverse, because a lot of foreigners going to, or teaching at the University of Cincinnati live in the area.

wilson1010 talks about it being predominately black, but that is not necessarily true of this area. WAIT!!! wilson1010 talks about white vs. black communities & prejudice. I don't want to put any words into wilson 1010's mouth. The city of Cincinnati is almost 50/50 white/black.

Cincinnati is more a street by street thing. You will be on "millionaire's row", and two blocks down will be in "crack alley". Unless you are looking for, or dealing drugs, you will be pretty safe on your street, and driving, or even walking through the streets a couple of blocks down. I live in a great neighborhood, two blocks from a bad one. I walk, and say "Hi" to everyone {including the "suspicious" looking characters}, and don't have any problems. Never have, and I've lived in the city limits most of my 44 years.

Anyhoo, peanut's mom ~ Clifton, in the gaslight village, is one of the greatest areas in the city proper. It is diverse, interesting, fun, and inviting. There are a number of things to do, places to eat & drink, parks to enjoy & plenty of people to meet. I think you will love it.

Last edited by soozycue520; 03-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: all kinds of crazy stuff comes up when I post a quick reply!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
I would recommend going to the Mosque in Clifton while visiting and get a feel for where everyone is living. Someone might even have a good recommendation for an apartment complex. That's what I would do. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 43,878 times
Quote:
I can tell you that you are less likely to experience prejudice in a predominately white community here than in a predominately black community. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I'll stand by it.
wilson1010, I totally get what you're saying.

suzycue520, I so hope Clifton will be a good fit. From the pictures I've seen on the internet, it reminds me a lot of parts of San Francisco, a city I really enjoy. I just have to find a place on a good street.

Hartwell Girl, I will definitely check out the mosque and ask where people recommend renting. Gotta make sure that place of worship is a good fit as well. We don't have to live right by a mosque. Often times, sadly, they are not located in the best of neighborhoods. We just need to get to one in less than 1/2 hour.

Does anyone know if the Holiday Inn Express on Mitchell Ave. is in a pretty safe area? I'm trying to keep our hotel cost down to under $100/night.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut's mom View Post
wilson1010, I totally get what you're saying.

suzycue520, I so hope Clifton will be a good fit. From the pictures I've seen on the internet, it reminds me a lot of parts of San Francisco, a city I really enjoy. I just have to find a place on a good street.

Hartwell Girl, I will definitely check out the mosque and ask where people recommend renting. Gotta make sure that place of worship is a good fit as well. We don't have to live right by a mosque. Often times, sadly, they are not located in the best of neighborhoods. We just need to get to one in less than 1/2 hour.

Does anyone know if the Holiday Inn Express on Mitchell Ave. is in a pretty safe area? I'm trying to keep our hotel cost down to under $100/night.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.
No, the Holiday Inn on Mitchell is in a terrible area. Its close to clifton, but its not that nice a place. In Cincinnati, just about everything is within a half hour except at rush hour. For my part, I'd either spend some $$ and stay in the Westin downtown (AAA Club rate $125 non smoking king need to show card or book through AAA) or stay out by the airport in a new Comfort Suites type place.

I called around a bit this morning and one of my old friends (who is Hindu) is in apartments in Villa Hills Ky and loves it. Says there are few but not many Indians in Villa Hills. His son is in Hebron Ky in an apartment complex with several Asians and they like it well. Both work in air logistics and say a lot of transplants are out there, no problems. I still like Villa Hills.

But, I have thought about what I would want coming from SF and Clifton will definitely make you feel at home. And, of course, the Mosque is there (there are several in Cincinanti but it seems the Clifton one seems the best known to non Muslims).
But like someone else said, Clifton is a street by street place. One street is regular breakins and drug people and another has an Indian heart surgeon living next to University professors. My sister lived there for 50 years and wouldn't live anywhere else so there must be a big attraction for some. Personally, its not worth it to me. I live in Mt. Lookout and have never seen a speck of ethnic or racial prejudice there.

The epicenter of beautiful old Clifton is Telford and Ludlow and if you live 1000 feet from that intersection in one of the old grand apartment buildings ($800-1,000/mo) it will be quite an experience and something you couldn't get in SF for $4000/mo. There is a lot of demand in that area so you need to get your name in sooner rather than later. One of my friends has the building right behind the Esquire Theatre and it is quite a place. Rents about $750-1100, no vacancies right now but if you, phone 513-221-1222 use my name something might be done.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Quote:
No, the Holiday Inn on Mitchell is in a terrible area.
I think that's a bit of an exaggertation. As long they don't go wandering into the heart of Avondale at night they should be perfectly fine.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I think that's a bit of an exaggertation. As long they don't go wandering into the heart of Avondale at night they should be perfectly fine.
Well, one would think so, but one would be wrong. The Holiday Inn is about 300 feet from the Mitchell Ave White Castle which is a gathering place for the late night crowd and has been the scene of as much crime as anyplace you would be able to find. Did you forget about the 350 pound man that tried to kill two police officers? And up the block a few hundred feet is a Shell station that has been robbed four times in three years and had a shooting two years ago that I just missed by about 5 minutes. And, there is absolutely no access restrictions on the hotel property. And, so, any of the neighborhood thugs can just walk right in. And this is not a nice neighborhood. No, I'd go with the Westin or stay out at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati