Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times

Advertisements

More crime in the past that people cant let go of. I'm sorry Wilson but this is wrong. Mitchell Ave does have its issues but if that hotel was unsafe, I think the hotel would have gone belly up a while ago. Pooie on the westin and a hotel out in east no mans land kentucky with airplanes flying overhead. Now if you want to call district 5 and ask them for reports or calls of service to that Holiday Inn and prove me wrong, great, but otherwise please let me know what neighborhood you live in so I can think of things that have happened there in the past 10 years which makes it NOW an undesirable place to live or visit. I am sorry but this is exactly why people like myself and a few others get really upset about Cincinnati getting the dealt a bad hand over & over again on this forum. And then someone will say that people like me who defend it have no sense of reality or wear rose colored glasses. Bottom line is I live here and go to meetings (mostly in the evening) all over this City and I have NEVER had a problem. Maybe its because I dont buy or sell drugs, which is one quick way to get yourself harmed in ANY City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
More crime in the past that people cant let go of. I'm sorry Wilson but this is wrong. Mitchell Ave does have its issues but if that hotel was unsafe, I think the hotel would have gone belly up a while ago. Pooie on the westin and a hotel out in east no mans land kentucky with airplanes flying overhead. Now if you want to call district 5 and ask them for reports or calls of service to that Holiday Inn and prove me wrong, great, but otherwise please let me know what neighborhood you live in so I can think of things that have happened there in the past 10 years which makes it NOW an undesirable place to live or visit. I am sorry but this is exactly why people like myself and a few others get really upset about Cincinnati getting the dealt a bad hand over & over again on this forum. And then someone will say that people like me who defend it have no sense of reality or wear rose colored glasses. Bottom line is I live here and go to meetings (mostly in the evening) all over this City and I have NEVER had a problem. Maybe its because I dont buy or sell drugs, which is one quick way to get yourself harmed in ANY City.
I don't know why you would want to lead a somewhat unsecure person (who has asked repeatedly about safety, etc.) and who can stay anywhere in the tri-state to stay at the Mitchell Ave. Holiday Inn. That's just wrong. You can be an optimist, fine. So when your family comes to town, put them up in the Mitchell Ave. Holiday Inn. Your supposition that this hotel would have gone belly up if it wasn't safe is just silly. Holiday Inn has a great franchise and this unit is on I-75's entrance ramp and likely most everyone staying there are auto travelers who have no idea about the neighborhood. Of course it will be sustainable. That has nothing to do with personal safety of people who intend to use it as a base of operations for a few days.

I'm glad you run around town and have no problems. 24000 other folks were crime victims in Cincinnati last year of crimes ranging from rape and murder to auto theft. And, I'm not doing your homework for you, but I'm quite sure that the four robberies and shooting and cop involved death I cited within a few hundred feet of that place would be enough for me or our visitor from SF. Maybe not for you. Good for you.

And, if you had read my posts, you would know that I live in Mt. Lookout. Go ahead, impress me with your tales of crime in Mt. Lookout. But, I live there and have for decades so that I know it is the safest place in Cincinnati. Nice try though.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
No, the Holiday Inn on Mitchell is in a terrible area. Its close to clifton, but its not that nice a place. In Cincinnati, just about everything is within a half hour except at rush hour. For my part, I'd either spend some $$ and stay in the Westin downtown (AAA Club rate $125 non smoking king need to show card or book through AAA) or stay out by the airport in a new Comfort Suites type place.

I called around a bit this morning and one of my old friends (who is Hindu) is in apartments in Villa Hills Ky and loves it. Says there are few but not many Indians in Villa Hills. His son is in Hebron Ky in an apartment complex with several Asians and they like it well. Both work in air logistics and say a lot of transplants are out there, no problems. I still like Villa Hills.

But, I have thought about what I would want coming from SF and Clifton will definitely make you feel at home. And, of course, the Mosque is there (there are several in Cincinanti but it seems the Clifton one seems the best known to non Muslims).
But like someone else said, Clifton is a street by street place. One street is regular breakins and drug people and another has an Indian heart surgeon living next to University professors. My sister lived there for 50 years and wouldn't live anywhere else so there must be a big attraction for some. Personally, its not worth it to me. I live in Mt. Lookout and have never seen a speck of ethnic or racial prejudice there.

The epicenter of beautiful old Clifton is Telford and Ludlow and if you live 1000 feet from that intersection in one of the old grand apartment buildings ($800-1,000/mo) it will be quite an experience and something you couldn't get in SF for $4000/mo. There is a lot of demand in that area so you need to get your name in sooner rather than later. One of my friends has the building right behind the Esquire Theatre and it is quite a place. Rents about $750-1100, no vacancies right now but if you, phone 513-221-1222 use my name something might be done.
Let's help peanuts mom by getting back to the topic. See above.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Let's help peanuts mom by getting back to the topic. See above.
You're the one got off topic with your rants about which hotel to stay in. You've tried this on a couple of threads now and with other posters.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I thought this forum was moderated??? Somebody on here's itchin' to be tossed, or is that TOS'd, for the flaming that's goin' on. Can't we all just get along?

B & B's weren't mentioned before because many innkeepers ban children under a certain age (12, 16) from being guests. This may be because they have antique and/or fragile furnishings, or because they cater to business/pleasure travelers who want to unwind without shrieking kids underfoot. But if the TO is planning to leave the 2-year-old at home, I heartily recommend the Clifton House at 500 Terrace Ave. It's in a quiet and safe area but only two short blocks south of Ludlow.

Neither I, nor I suspect anyone else here, would knowingly recommend a place to stay or visit in a dangerous place without fair warning. The notion that the Holiday Inn Express leaves its doors wide open for "neighborhood thugs" to breeze in and out of freely is pure and simple paranoia. Mitchell Ave between I-75 and Vine St is not the best part of town by far, no argument from me there, but neither is it Dodge City. St Bernard - the community immediately to the north - is a stable and peaceful place. And the other adjoining area is finally showing signs (new and renovated buildings) of recovery from the "flight" and misery of the '60s and '70s. Common sense dictates that gas stations and fast-food restaurants, no matter where they are, should be approached at late hours only with caution. They're targets for trouble whether in Avondale or rural Kentucky.

Legal housing discrimination may be a thing of the past, but laws don't change thinking. It's due to this that most folks still prefer to dwell among others "like them," whether that be in terms of ethnicity or economic class or both. The most live-and-let-live places in Cincinnati are Clifton and Northside. Elsewhere, real social acceptance or an effective facade of tolerance are more easily found the more affluent an area is. The predominant mindset of communities like my hometown of Wyoming runs along the lines of, "So what if they're Muslim, they paid the asking price for that $600,000 house and like tennis." People speak of "my Indian friends," leaving open to debate whether the friendship is genuine or whether it's like a trophy demonstrating how open-minded the people think they are. How much a person is willing to put up with that goes a long way in deciding where they ultimately set up residence.

I don't think it's counterintuitive to assert that "minority" communities are less receptive to a household from a different culture, far from it. When you're already dealing with society as it is, having "outsiders" present who are vying for the same small piece of the pie as you are - or taking it from you - naturally causes resentment. Even so, and this may come as a surprise to some here, there's enough of a concentration of South Asian immigrants in and around Roselawn that the Valley Shopping Center on Reading Rd now contains an Indian/Pakistani food market. And this is a community that has seen its once sizable majority of Jewish residents reduced to almost nothing, and where Catholic parishioners who can walk to Mass are now so few that the neighborhood's church will close this summer. Yep, Roselawn is currently 15% White if that, but it's where to go for sacks of basmati rice (and to chow down at Amma's Kitchen.)

Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Neither I, nor I suspect anyone else here, would knowingly recommend a place to stay or visit in a dangerous place without fair warning. The notion that the Holiday Inn Express leaves its doors wide open for "neighborhood thugs" to breeze in and out of freely is pure and simple paranoia. Mitchell Ave between I-75 and Vine St is not the best part of town by far, no argument from me there, but neither is it Dodge City. St Bernard - the community immediately to the north - is a stable and peaceful place. And the other adjoining area is finally showing signs (new and renovated buildings) of recovery from the "flight" and misery of the '60s and '70s. Common sense dictates that gas stations and fast-food restaurants, no matter where they are, should be approached at late hours only with caution. They're targets for trouble whether in Avondale or rural Kentucky.
Well, actually, against my better judgment, I looked it up. In the past two years there have been 172 criminal cases reported by the CPD on Mitchell and that doesn't include any of St. Bernard. Most of the cases were felonies many violent. The four properties in close proximity, Holiday Inn Express, Mitchell Ave. White Castle (the site of the famous Nathaniel Jones police killing) Avondale Marathon, and Mitchell Shell have had about 20 felonies including a murder in the parking lot at the Shell and two aggravated robberies at the Holiday Inn Express.

Now, I'd say that qualifies for wild west material. And, for a person who is free to stay in any place she chooses under $100 a night in the entire tri state area, I think it is safe to say that it would be a bad idea to recommend the Holiday Inn Express. I'll stand by my comments.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM

To Peanuts Mom:

Sorry this thread degenerated into personalities while you have a serious question pending. Here is my original advice to you. I hope you find it helpful.

Wilson

Originally Posted by wilson1010
No, the Holiday Inn on Mitchell is in a terrible area. Its close to clifton, but its not that nice a place. In Cincinnati, just about everything is within a half hour except at rush hour. For my part, I'd either spend some $$ and stay in the Westin downtown (AAA Club rate $125 non smoking king need to show card or book through AAA) or stay out by the airport in a new Comfort Suites type place.

I called around a bit this morning and one of my old friends (who is Hindu) is in apartments in Villa Hills Ky and loves it. Says there are few but not many Indians in Villa Hills. His son is in Hebron Ky in an apartment complex with several Asians and they like it well. Both work in air logistics and say a lot of transplants are out there, no problems. I still like Villa Hills.

But, I have thought about what I would want coming from SF and Clifton will definitely make you feel at home. And, of course, the Mosque is there (there are several in Cincinanti but it seems the Clifton one seems the best known to non Muslims).
But like someone else said, Clifton is a street by street place. One street is regular breakins and drug people and another has an Indian heart surgeon living next to University professors. My sister lived there for 50 years and wouldn't live anywhere else so there must be a big attraction for some. Personally, its not worth it to me. I live in Mt. Lookout and have never seen a speck of ethnic or racial prejudice there.

The epicenter of beautiful old Clifton is Telford and Ludlow and if you live 1000 feet from that intersection in one of the old grand apartment buildings ($800-1,000/mo) it will be quite an experience and something you couldn't get in SF for $4000/mo. There is a lot of demand in that area so you need to get your name in sooner rather than later. One of my friends has the building right behind the Esquire Theatre and it is quite a place. Rents about $750-1100, no vacancies right now but if you, phone 513-221-1222 use my name something might be done.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Default Clifton apartments etc

1) I would recommend the UC Kingsage Marriot. It is 2 minutes from Clifton and completely safe. I have stayed twice at the Vernon manor and it is very nice as well. 2) If you want to get an apartment in "Clifton" I would recommend that you look in Clifton GASLIGHT. A lot of apartments claiming to be in "Clifton" are in University Heights, Coryville etc which are somewhat different from the Gaslight area and really not as safe IMO. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 43,878 times
Wow, conversations on this forum can get heated. Let's be cool here. I appreciate and take into consideration everyone's opinions. For me, it's totally necessary to get different points of view. So, please keep your feedback coming and, if you have to, pretend you're the only one giving me advice to keep this thread on track.

As for my choice in hotel, plans have changed a bit. Starting at the beginning of April, my family and I will need to camp out in an extended stay during our apartment search. We'll probably stay close to the airport.

What's the weather like in April?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Not to worry. Emotions ran high at the thought of you and your family at the Mitchell Ave. Holiday Inn. Glad you have other plans. The airport area was my first choice, but there was one other suggestion above that was a good one that I overlooked. That was the UC Kingsgate Marriott. Someone above posted that and, if you wanted to stay in Clifton, that is actually a really good suggestion. It is a little more than $100/day though.

We have light snows on occasion in April, but usually it is beautiful. Temps in the 50's and 60's, no bugs, spring plants emerging. You will enjoy April a lot. (August isn't so nice here but especially late April is great.

Good luck on your apartment search. If you are still interested in Clifton, the poster above recommended that you limit your search to the "gaslight" district of Clifton. I agree. If you come out to Mt. Lookout where I live, post up and I'll give you some recommendations for apartments here. Just give your price range, because in Mt. Lookout you can find acceptable apartments for $500/mo to $3500/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati