U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,485,180 times

Advertisements

Silverton is fine. I know lots of people that live over there. Also, i know a few that live in Kennedy Heights and while ill admit its not as desireable, i dont feel unsafe there either. This is after all, Cincinnati, and not South Central LA. If you want to live close to Kenwood Mall, you have plenty of options and Silverton is definately a good one.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,026,398 times
It is not too bad. There are some pretty decent well kept blocks. The residents are racially diverse and hardworking.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
All of my family is from the Silverton/Deer Park area. Like many neighborhoods, it is much different than what some want to make it out to be. 33 years ago my wife announced she wanted a 5 bedroom home. Our total age spread among the 4 is 15 years. So we had two teenagers and an about to be newborn. Moved to Mason, which was then rural with approx 3,000 population. Got our 5-bedroom house at a price I could afford. Now the population is around 32,000. Defiitely a nice place with great schools. If I was looking today, I would definitely consider one of the closer in areas. Traffic in this city is abominabal. I was lucky, my company also moved to Mason, a half-mile from my house. Why spend 2 hours a day commuting when there are so many other choices?

Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 AM

363 posts, read 832,473 times
Silverton is A-OK. I've heard the "good stuff" and "bad stuff"...then I went and saw Silverton for myself. I think it's a pretty decent area.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM

9 posts, read 18,171 times
WOW! I grew up there from 1958-1976 and visited my parents for 15 years later and silerton rocked...jeez...get the kiddies out of their grand folks houses and paents houses and it will revivie. I love my hometown who I am proud to call my home and do not include it in Cincinnanti...damn.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisse8 View Post
WOW! I grew up there from 1958-1976 and visited my parents for 15 years later and silerton rocked...jeez...get the kiddies out of their grand folks houses and paents houses and it will revivie. I love my hometown who I am proud to call my home and do not include it in Cincinnanti...damn.
Silverton is still a great place! A great middle-class area with racial diversity. I'd be happy to live there.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,345,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Silverton is fine. I know lots of people that live over there. Also, i know a few that live in Kennedy Heights and while ill admit its not as desireable, i dont feel unsafe there either. This is after all, Cincinnati, and not South Central LA. If you want to live close to Kenwood Mall, you have plenty of options and Silverton is definately a good one.

G Man
While I absolutely love Cincinnati, its one of my favorite midwestern cities, that is an odd comment.

You do realize that there are some legitimately dangerous neighborhoods in Cincinnati right?? (OTR north of Liberty, Avondale, etc.)

Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
While I absolutely love Cincinnati, its one of my favorite midwestern cities, that is an odd comment.

You do realize that there are some legitimately dangerous neighborhoods in Cincinnati right?? (OTR north of Liberty, Avondale, etc.)
I believe the poster's intent is to simply point out there are locations like Pleasant Ridge and Silverton which are part of the inner neighborhoods and suburbs while also close to upscale shopping areas like Kenwood Towne Center. They have maintained a relatively stable environment over quite a number of years, and offer housing selection costs well below some other areas. I would place Kennedy Heights and Deer Park in the same category. There is no comparison crime wise with the areas of the city you mention.

Anyone who had lived in Cincinnati for any number of years knows the areas to avoid. And Pleasant Ridge, Kennedy Heights, Silverton, and Deer Park are not among them. Just the opposite, areas to visit and enjoy, possibly to live.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,353,735 times
The only bad part of Silverton is the apartment complex down by the I-71 entrance ramp on Stewart Road. I would not hesitate to walk any other street any time of day or night. The area west of Ohio Ave is particularly nice.

I am also very high on Deer Park and Dillonvale. I see rock solid houses on very nice streets selling for 110-120K, and younger people are snatching them up. There are numerous houses available for renting as well, as the neighborhood is turning over from elderly retirees to young families. If you have the opportunity, drive the loop from Ohio and Montgomery in Silverton north on Ohio to Landsowne, west to Quartermain, north on Quartermain to Frontenac, East on Frontenac to Gail, north on Gail to Galbraith, east on Galbraith to Plainfield, then South on Plainfield to Montgomery. Anything inside that loop (Silverton and Deer Park mostly) is completely safe, relatively inexpensive, and within a mile of a dozen restaurants, a bank, a grocery, a TJ Max, several dry cleaners, a few bars, and a bunch of other miscellaneous small shops.

I walk or run with my dog several miles through Silverton and Deer Park almost every morning before dawn and every evening after dark because my neighborhood does not have sidewalks. I have never seen anyone loitering or causing trouble. Safety is simply not a worry in any of these areas.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Chemistry_Guy... You should certainly know as you use the area as a walking/jogging path frequently. People needing an affordable housing buy are certainly well advised to look in the areas you outline.

I am surprised Amberley has not installed some biking/jogging/running paths through the village, since as you say most streets have no sidewalks.

Even Mason has a pretty nice network of paved biking/jogging paths through town. From my neighborhood the ambitious and adventurous can take our local path east past Kings Island and down to the Little Miami Scenic Trail, one of the longest paved walking/biking/jogging/running trails in the US, extending 78 miles from Newtown, Ohio to Springfield, Ohio. A little more than a daily workout, but I see a lot of those on our local path too.

One of the local spurs runs from a cul-de-sac close to my house through a Mason city park and then to the school complex, Municipal Building and Community Center. There is another spur you can take from there to the original downtown. For those physically capable it is a great way to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati