U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-13-2009, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,422 times
Default How safe is Silverton really?

I work at the Kenwood Towne Centre and want a cheap apartment near my work. Some people say Silverton is fine, others say absolutely not. Anyone live there or have any thoughts at all?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

8,205 posts, read 9,989,018 times
City Data Crime Index is about twice as high in Silverton as it is in Deer Park, which should be an essentially identical neighborhood. And, they have identical cost of living indexes. So, that tells me its bad.

Unread 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM

162 posts, read 392,969 times
Although I don't know Silverton that well nowadays, I would think the closer you are to Kennedy Heights, the worse it would be, and the closer to Deer Park, the better. I used to work in Deer Park, almost on the border of Silverton. They had their own police dept. and it was relatively safe when I worked in that area. I would say the area north of Plainfield Rd. and west of Montgomery is probably the best area to look at.

Unread 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM

561 posts, read 1,155,752 times
Drive through Silverton at night. My general perception is that it's unsafe due to the number of loiterers just hanging around.

Unread 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
City Data Crime Index is about twice as high in Silverton as it is in Deer Park, which should be an essentially identical neighborhood. And, they have identical cost of living indexes. So, that tells me its bad.

Silverton borders Kennedy Heights. That's probably the reason for the higher crime index. To the OP, I personally would pick Deer Park over Silverton because of that.

Unread 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 8,102,332 times
What exactly do you consider cheap housing, if I may ask? I found that cheap places are out there if you look hard enough, and most of the time you don't have to compromise safety for the lower price. If you're talking the $500-600/month range, you can find way better places than Silverton, at least from my experience. Good Luck

Unread 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

1,126 posts, read 997,386 times
Silverton is very safe. You can walk around at night without fear. I lived here for 30 years. If there are problems, it's usaully caused by outsiders. I know Bruce Plummer. The problem spots are the UDF on Mountgomery road and an apartment complex down at the bottom of Stewert road. And it's mostly petty theft problems.

There has been 3 major crimes the past 12 years or so. 2 people were killed in 2007 in an apartment building and also in 2007 some guy killed his baby by throwing him against a wall.

Silverton is only 1 square mile and has a population of about 4900. The rent in the area is about $450-$600. Taxes are one and a half percent. The police patrols the whole city often. The racial make up of the city is about 47% black 52% white. More whites are moving in because the housing prices are steady and cheaper than comparable cities.

Homes range from about 80k to 120k. Mostly cape cod houses.

Unread 12-22-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Since race percentage is a topic on here (50% white and 50% black in silverton) I will state that I am a white male and that I love Silverton. My wife and I agree that most of our neighbors on our particular street are black and they are some of the nicest and most friendly people we've ever met!

I grew up in Madeira and when I was a kid most of my neighbors were hermits. In Silverton there are a lot more people that will go outside and my neighbors and I love the friendly atmosphere Silverton has!

I bought my house in Silverton for just over 100K. In Madeira the same house would have been 200k and put me in debt up to my eyeballs! Silverton is the Smarter choice I think! The city is great! However, If my wife and I decide to have kids in 10 years or so we might move out to Mason or something but maybe not.. not sure yet. It is Cincinnat Public Schools in Silverton.

Silverton is very safe too! I go into that UDF all the time and get milk shakes with my wife... all that talk about it not being safe is bologna. There is a great Police presence there! It is the perfect little American City Melting Pot! I love it!

Unread 12-25-2009, 07:32 PM

246 posts, read 557,700 times
grew up in silverton, and here now visiting for the holidays, and it is so, so safe...really where folks loiter are not silverton , but more kennedy heights.

Unread 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 591,716 times
I live nearby in Pleasant Ridge. I certainly wouldn't characterize Silverton as "bad". It's no Walnut Hills or English Woods. There are really really nice streets in the area that have houses at great prices. I'd recommend driving around and seeing how you feel about the place. The condition of the residential properties in an area often speaks volumes about how people feel about their community. The more people care about their community, the more they do to crack down on crime. Also, criminals tend to vandalize property that they think nobody cares about, so if a neighborhood looks rough, it probably is (the whole broken window theory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati