U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBuckeye84 View Post
The only thing that sucks is that there are NO friggin decent grocery stores nearby. There is the UC Kroger, but the selection is limited. You could shop at Finley Market, but its not that great compared to what I have seen in other places I have lived. Basically if you want to get groceries and have a decent choice, you have to get on the freeway and drive 5 miles to Rookwood/Norwood where there is a bigger Kroger, a Biggs and a Whole Foods. Also, there is not a lot of places to eat that are quick and good with easy parking (since you have to DRIVE EVERYWHERE) in this city.
I think that a lot of people living downtown and on Sycamore Hill shop at the Krogers at the Kentucky end of the I471 Bridge. I guess thats called Belleview Kroger. Its about a mile and a half from Boal Street which is about the same distance as Hyde Park Krogers is from my house in the Ault Park area. And, its a very nice store without the crowds of HP Kroger. You can't walk there, but then I've never walked to HP Krogers either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think that a lot of people living downtown and on Sycamore Hill shop at the Krogers at the Kentucky end of the I471 Bridge. I guess thats called Belleview Kroger. Its about a mile and a half from Boal Street which is about the same distance as Hyde Park Krogers is from my house in the Ault Park area. And, its a very nice store without the crowds of HP Kroger. You can't walk there, but then I've never walked to HP Krogers either.
We go to the Kroghetto, but IGA is awesome! Best damn beer and ice cream selection in the world.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 PM

257 posts, read 520,021 times
If I were you I'd check the aforementioned Northside, Oakley, and Pleasant Ridge. Clifton is ok, but it's too college-y to me. I moved from a college town and didn't want a do-over of that. Sure there are restaurants, etc there but populated with the college kid scene. Some people are into that though. Mt Auburn definitely has it's nice streets but the shopping (grocery) is a problem as is if you like to walk around the neighborhood (outside of just a few streets in your immediate area). I like OTR but those same reasons are why I won't move there. Off street parking can also be difficult to find in Mt. Auburn as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,124,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
You may want to add Pleasant Ridge to your search too. Some great homes, neighborhoods.

Mike
Thanks for the great advice. Just bought a house in Pleasant Ridge. A 1929 American Foursquare. Great area - reasonable house prices.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 AM

35 posts, read 128,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I moved to Cincy about a year ago. I'm currently living in downtown and am considering buying a house within the next year or so for me and my fiancée. I'm 29 and work in Springdale; my fiancée is a nursing student at UC. I know that there are a ton of great neighborhoods in the area (Hyde Park $$, Mt Adams $$, E. Walnut Hills, Oakley, Clifton, etc. are often mentioned on this forum) but I haven't heard much about Mt. Auburn. I've mentioned it to some people I've met from the area but they're mostly suburbanites and get nervous whenever they drive inside of I-275. Nonetheless they all eek when I mention Mt Auburn, which makes me think twice.

Even still, there seem to be some really great streets in Mt Auburn, such as Liberty Hill, Milton St, and Boal St. I've also come upon some really interesting up-and-coming areas such as the area around Hopkins Park (Bigelow St, etc). Dorsey St and Gothe St near Jackson Hill Park seem to have some really nice houses with great city views.

So, what's the deal? It seems as though Over-the-Rhine gets a ton of press for their trendy ($$) condos. (If you ask me, Vine St can get a bit dicey north of 13th St almost all the way up to the Mad Frog. Besides, I like having walls in my house.) Hyde Park and Mt Adams are waaaay expensive.

What about Mt Auburn? Is resale a problem? Are there any other moderately priced, well kept neighborhoods around? I always hear horror stories about Price Hill, but I honestly haven't been there. Northside? Fairmount? St Bernard? I haven't heard much about College Hill and Amberley.

I suppose we're looking for a neighborhood where you get a lot of bang for your buck (and maybe a cool city view - although that's not necessary). One major criterion I have is sidewalks. It drives me nuts to go out to suburbia and see all of these planned communities with people walking in the stinkin' road because there are no sidewalks. Of course, I don't want to live somewhere with drug dealers and "ladies of the evening" frequenting my front yard either. It would also be neat to pick up a house with a bit of character. Does this utopia exist? For under $175K?
===========================================

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't consider Mt Auburn. Milton Street, Boal etc are more uptown than Mt Auburn, and are all good, though there's a certain amount of crime from surrounding neighborhoods. Northside is up-and-coming, being revived to some extent by gays; everyone gets along fine there. Fairmount? No - don't do it. Rednecks and drugs. I lived in St Bernard for some years, but it started to go downhill as the older folks died off and their houses were converted to two-families; the tenants weren't necessarily who you want to live near. College Hill? Good and bad; some street crime along Hamilton Avenue, though not regularly. Amberley has been largely upscale Jewish for years, though I think it's starting to slip a little on the southern edge.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM

682 posts, read 1,388,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic39 View Post
===========================================

Fairmount? No - don't do it. Rednecks and drugs.
I have to laugh at uniformed people who make "broad generalizations" about neighborhoods.

No denying Fairmount has problems. But it also has emerging neighborhoods like ours (Knox Hill) in Fairmount that are turning a corner.
Welcome to : (KnoxHillNeighborhoodAssoc)

We are far from being Mt Adams or Columbia Tusculum, but there is over 1.2 Million dollars worth of Historic Restoration going on in my neighborhood right now, with another million projected next year, based on houses recently bought by historic preservationists. The city is working with our neighborhood group to deal with the issue of problem properties and progress is being made. We do not want to Bulldoze everything in site like the South Fairmount Community Council does. Some properties in the neighborhood date to the 1850's. Most were built as weekend and summer cottages by the wealthy in Cincinnati, from 1865-1875 who wanted to get away and enjoy the "Schuetzen Verein" where Christian Park now sits today. You can find 1500 square foot cottages and 6000 square foot mansions in our neighborhood, IN FAIRMOUNT.

The area is attracting new residents who are owner occupants, appreciate the historic architecture and rich history of our neighborhood and great views of the downtown and valleys around it. They are bringing new life to the area. We are currently doing the necessary historic research to get the area declared a historic district.

Given the several gay couples that live on my block, I'd hardly call it "redneck" and the drug dealers have pretty much been run out of the neighborhood by an active crime watch program.

If I had listened to some of the people on this board, who have been saying "the same thing" about "the same neighborhoods" for years, I would have never discovered this remarkable neighborhood and found the great neighbors I have.

There are many areas of Cincinnati that are improving, people who comment on this board ought to get out of suburbia more and drive around, you might be surprised!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I have to laugh at uniformed people who make "broad generalizations" about neighborhoods.
Who cares how they are dressed?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
^^ I agree. That person is a moron.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Love your interest in Bigelow street and Mt. Auburn. Ive been on Bigelow for 22 years and love the location. We have had the normal problems of being urban dwellers. Wonderful neighbors who enjoy being social! My home was built in 1864 by William Tinsley and I have a book "The life and Works of William Tinsley" and my home is on the cover. My home is a gothic revival cottage and still has much of the charm of the original structure with a modern kitchen living room plan. If you can come up with closer to 300k I'll consider selling to someone who can appreciate the architecture and neighborhood.

Matt Murray
[EMAIL="mjaym@aol.com"]mjaym@aol.com[/EMAIL]
1902 Bigelow (last house on the left)

Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,124,865 times
Matt,
This is quite an old thread, but thanks for posting. In fact, I ended up moving to Pleasant Ridge, which I find to be a fantastic neighborhood in Cincinnati.

But, I've come to appreciate and love all of Cincinnati's great neighborhoods. Mt Auburn is no exception. There is a TON of great architecture in that area and it's close to downtown, Clifton, Jackson Hill Park, "hospital hill", and has some really cool city steps (which are a unique part of Cincinnati which seems to be disappearing due to disrepair).

-Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati