Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 12,246 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’m moving for my job into Cincinnati. As I’m single I don’t want to move to a neighborhood full of families! Can you help me out with some tips about apartments with funny people! I’m 30 and an engineer, so if I go there I want to make sure I would feel surrounded by families. May be some apartment with amenities.
Thanks to all in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM

18 posts, read 63,020 times
*bump* I'm curious to know the answer to this also.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM

710 posts, read 3,032,793 times
Look for places in:
For your 30s
Downtown
Mt. Lookout
Columbia-Tusculum
Hyde Park
Oakley
Mt. Adams

For your 20s
Downtown
Over the Rhine
Gaslight Clifton
Northside
Covington

Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 PM

181 posts, read 503,902 times
and which of these are hipster areas vs. yuppie areas...? i am in the same situation, possibly relocating for work, single female, 30's. when i moved to chicago i was pointed in the wrong direction, to lincoln park which turned out to be annoying frat party yuppieville. instead of wicker park/bucktown/logan square, which would have been a better fit--i am more the artist/bohemian type, you know, listening to indie rock music, wearing leggings and bangs. (don't roll your eyes!) can someone give us a sense of what the different areas are like in terms of culture?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,129,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
and which of these are hipster areas vs. yuppie areas...? i am in the same situation, possibly relocating for work, single female, 30's. when i moved to chicago i was pointed in the wrong direction, to lincoln park which turned out to be annoying frat party yuppieville. instead of wicker park/bucktown/logan square, which would have been a better fit--i am more the artist/bohemian type, you know, listening to indie rock music, wearing leggings and bangs. (don't roll your eyes!) can someone give us a sense of what the different areas are like in terms of culture?
I imagine the closest thing you'll find in Cincinnati for what you're looking for is Northside. Clifton would probably be more frat party - and as for Mt. Lookout, Columbia-Tusculum, Hyde Park, Oakley, and Mt. Adams...those are much more geared toward the yuppies you're wanting to avoid. There are very few areas in Cincinnati where you'll find a strictly artist/bohemian environment without likewise being in among yuppies or college kids.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 AM

221 posts, read 435,618 times
Isnt Northside where the Taliband is residing... and that offshoot of the Bloods or something

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,973 times
Default Northside/Downtown/OTR?

Most of the neighborhoods in Cincinnati are street-by-street in terms of safety/demographics/quality of housing. I would strongly recommend seeing the neighborhood in person before moving here.

Northside has a nice mix of household types.

I think downtown would work well for the poster, there seem to be a lot of professionals living there and most families with kids tend to live a little farther out.

Over the Rhine (OTR) is a pretty edgy neighborhood. But you can't be scared of black people (a lot of folks here are, I've found out). It's got it's fair share of drugs and crime, is about to undergo some serious gentrification in the next 10 years, and in the middle of all that are some pretty interesting characters poking around.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM

221 posts, read 435,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukener View Post
Most of the neighborhoods in Cincinnati are street-by-street in terms of safety/demographics/quality of housing. I would strongly recommend seeing the neighborhood in person before moving here.

Northside has a nice mix of household types.

I think downtown would work well for the poster, there seem to be a lot of professionals living there and most families with kids tend to live a little farther out.

Over the Rhine (OTR) is a pretty edgy neighborhood. But you can't be scared of black people (a lot of folks here are, I've found out). It's got it's fair share of drugs and crime, is about to undergo some serious gentrification in the next 10 years, and in the middle of all that are some pretty interesting characters poking around.
OTR should be something decent in 10 years, but has some serious work to do. Drugs and crime are down since 2001 when the riots took place, but the rates are still high compared to other neighborhoods. I wouldnt trust living down there right now though

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 59,885 times
Northside and Clifton Gaslight are the most bohemian youngish adult neighborhoods. Clifton is closely connected to the university so more grad students, Northside is more independent young adults. OTR is an option though it is in the process of gentrifying so it depends on your tolerance for disorder.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
Covington, a seat of Kenton County, is a great place to look. Granted, many parts of that town have its "issues," but then again old urban areas generally do. Mainstrasse, an approximately 12 block area centered around Main Street, is a great and safe residential neighborhood with a bookstore (I think), pubs galore, cafe, and several great festivals yearly. And studios there only start at around $450/month!

West Covington along Dixie Highway and 12th Street, near the beautiful Devou Park, is a great place to look; it's just a "downhill," 1/2 mile commute into Downtown Covington, Mainstrasse and Cincinnati proper. Wallace Woods and Licking Riverside are much more family-oriented neighborhoods in Cov., but they place you with in very close proximity to Downtown, Mainstrasse and Newport's entertainment district.

Speaking of Newport, that's not a bad place to look. Some singles/YPs are there, as well as other Campbell County cities such as Bellevue, Fort Thomas and Highland Heights.

The above mentions for places in Cincinnati are also great! Also, any place immediately around Xavier University and in the north part of Norwood, an old working-class community, would be great! There's not necessarily a lot of activity there, though...but I like it because Joseph-Beth Booksellers is in Norwood!

Also, with Over-the-Rhine, the eastern part has undergone a rather swift gentrification and continues to undergo it; the western half still has a ways to go and has been the part of that neighborhood most ravaged by drugs and crime over the last 50 years. But like other posters here have said, give it ten years and I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

I recently interviewed for a job in Covington and things are looking promising. I may well be moving there in the near future, so I'm trying to get a feel for things myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati