U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,537 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to Cincy this weekend, and probably staying in a cheap motel somewhere south of the city in Florence, KY. I will spend Friday evening, all day Saturday, and most Sunday till about 2 exploring Cincy.

I never been to Cincy, and it is next on my list of cities I am going to visit. I hear it has a lot of characteristics of the Burgh. I don't want to be one of those ignorant people you find on these boards that are like, "Like ewwww Pittsburgh. I never been there. I hear they got steel mills, pollution, run down buildings. Like ewwww". You know what I am saying, so I am trying to hit up every American city by the time I hit the big 30.

What neighborhoods should I visit? Where can I get some good downtown shots? I am assuming the Kentucky side on the other side of the Ohio. I try to keep it frugal on my trips, but where should I eat? I love art museums. How is the cincy Art museum?

I am creating a pbase account with the cities I travel too. (JW's Photo Galleries at pbase.com) I want to add nice shots of cincy this weekend, and I hope you guys give me good advice. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM

3,761 posts, read 3,067,364 times
I was going to ask if you were going to get us some gorgeous photos! I can't help you out on the other stuff, but I will enjoy the pictures you come out with.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,381 times
Go to Mt Adams. The art museum is free and good. There are also good city views all over Mt Adams and Eden Park.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I will be coming to Cincy this weekend, and probably staying in a cheap motel somewhere south of the city in Florence, KY. I will spend Friday evening, all day Saturday, and most Sunday till about 2 exploring Cincy.

I never been to Cincy, and it is next on my list of cities I am going to visit. I hear it has a lot of characteristics of the Burgh. I don't want to be one of those ignorant people you find on these boards that are like, "Like ewwww Pittsburgh. I never been there. I hear they got steel mills, pollution, run down buildings. Like ewwww". You know what I am saying, so I am trying to hit up every American city by the time I hit the big 30.

What neighborhoods should I visit? Where can I get some good downtown shots? I am assuming the Kentucky side on the other side of the Ohio. I try to keep it frugal on my trips, but where should I eat? I love art museums. How is the cincy Art museum?

I am creating a pbase account with the cities I travel too. (JW's Photo Galleries at pbase.com) I want to add nice shots of cincy this weekend, and I hope you guys give me good advice. Thanks a lot.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati do have a lot in common, as do most midwestern cities. Why do you plan to stay in Florence, its a good 20-30 minutes from downtown. There are cheap hotels to be had in Cincy and also in Covington (right on the KY side of the river). Check out Hotwire or Priceline. I have used Priceline to get hotels for cheap right on the river area. Since the Reds dont start until next Monday, thats out. As far as good shots of downtown, the best place to go in Devu Park (spelling?). Its in Covington and provides a great overlook of the Cincy skyline which is pretty nice. As far as nice neighborhoods, everyone has their own opinion but Indian Hill is the rich hood around here, but Mariemont and Hyde Park have some cool stuff to see and take pics of. Cincy art museum is nice, but i havent been in quite a while. As far as food, the two big Cincy staples are Montgomery Inn BBQ and Skyline Chilli. The first is pretty pricey but well worth it. The second is Cincy style Chilli at its best, chilli with chocolate and cinnamon in it. Got to tell ya - anyone from out of town i have taken there didnt really like it but us locals live and die but the stuff. If you like parks, for pics, my favorite is Ault Park which is in the Hyde Park area (east side of cincy bout 15 min from downtown).

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

G Rizzle

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Go to Mt Adams. The art museum is free and good. There are also good city views all over Mt Adams and Eden Park.
Eden Park which is in Mt Adams is also nice and does have some good views but are vastly exceeded by views from Devu. In any event, Eden Park is a good place to check out, i prefer Ault though.

G Man

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Pittsburgh and Cincinnati do have a lot in common, as do most midwestern cities. Why do you plan to stay in Florence, its a good 20-30 minutes from downtown. There are cheap hotels to be had in Cincy and also in Covington (right on the KY side of the river). Check out Hotwire or Priceline. I have used Priceline to get hotels for cheap right on the river area. Since the Reds dont start until next Monday, thats out. As far as good shots of downtown, the best place to go in Devu Park (spelling?). Its in Covington and provides a great overlook of the Cincy skyline which is pretty nice. As far as nice neighborhoods, everyone has their own opinion but Indian Hill is the rich hood around here, but Mariemont and Hyde Park have some cool stuff to see and take pics of. Cincy art museum is nice, but i havent been in quite a while. As far as food, the two big Cincy staples are Montgomery Inn BBQ and Skyline Chilli. The first is pretty pricey but well worth it. The second is Cincy style Chilli at its best, chilli with chocolate and cinnamon in it. Got to tell ya - anyone from out of town i have taken there didnt really like it but us locals live and die but the stuff. If you like parks, for pics, my favorite is Ault Park which is in the Hyde Park area (east side of cincy bout 15 min from downtown).

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

G Rizzle
Thank you, that was very helpful. I am going to make a list of everything you said and google search it tonight. Thanks a lot especially with the neighborhoods. I like to visit uptown neighborhoods as well as seeing downtown architecture.

I was looking for hotels, and the cheapest are always out in the burbs 20 miles away. Maybe I should look for one close to the city, or atleast in a neighborhood. I hate staying in the burbs. Two weekends ago I went back to Philly, and met friends on Friday night. I drank coffee because I wasn't going to drive back to King of Prussia after having a few. I also couldn't afford the Center City hotel prices. I bet Cincy is cheaper, and it is probably easier to stay closer to town.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 AM

Nice pics by the way. But you cant have pics of Boston without a shot or two of Fenway!

G Man

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you, that was very helpful. I am going to make a list of everything you said and google search it tonight. Thanks a lot especially with the neighborhoods. I like to visit uptown neighborhoods as well as seeing downtown architecture.

I was looking for hotels, and the cheapest are always out in the burbs 20 miles away. Maybe I should look for one close to the city, or atleast in a neighborhood. I hate staying in the burbs. Two weekends ago I went back to Philly, and met friends on Friday night. I drank coffee because I wasn't going to drive back to King of Prussia after having a few. I also couldn't afford the Center City hotel prices. I bet Cincy is cheaper, and it is probably easier to stay closer to town.
You will save money on gas and convienence by staying close to downtown. Like i said, try Priceline and pick the downtown area - which includes Covington. I have gotten the Marriott there for like 60 and the Extended Stay for less than that.

G Man

Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Nice pics by the way. But you cant have pics of Boston without a shot or two of Fenway!

G Man
Thanks. I must get back to Boston. I was planning last fall, but did Shenandoah and Washington instead. I really need to explore uptown Boston. It is one of the most coolest cities I was in. I am going to do N.Y. in June instead which I need to save a lot of money for.

My favorite way to explore a city for cheap is camp around it in a tent for like 20 bucks a night in a campground with atleast showers. Drive to a park and ride and take a train in. That is how I did Washington for very cheap. Then take a day or two to relax in the woods and you get the best of both worlds.

I am going to search for hotels in Covington. I tried hotel.com, but I will try priceline.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I must get back to Boston. I was planning last fall, but did Shenandoah and Washington instead. I really need to explore uptown Boston. It is one of the most coolest cities I was in. I am going to do N.Y. in June instead which I need to save a lot of money for.

My favorite way to explore a city for cheap is camp around it in a tent for like 20 bucks a night in a campground with atleast showers. Drive to a park and ride and take a train in. That is how I did Washington for very cheap. Then take a day or two to relax in the woods and you get the best of both worlds.

I am going to search for hotels in Covington. I tried hotel.com, but I will try priceline.
Yeah, Boston and DC are my favorite downtown areas by far. I didnt like NYC, too crowded and dirty for me, but to each their own. Camping is awesome and as you mentioned pretty cheap. The place we camp around here is called East Fork but its a good 50 minutes outside of Cincy limits. There is also Miami Whitewater but thats about 40 minutes to the west (East Fork is on the east side of the city). In any event, you wont get hotels for 20 bucks but i think i got the extended stay for like 35-40 a night and it has a kitchen as well. Saves you a lot of commute time also.

G MAn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati