U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,486,447 times

Advertisements

I dont agree with Didmac -

First of all, Cincy Metro is a joke. I am familar with the UC sponsored one and while it slightly better than the general schedules, Metro buses are gross and are commonly late. Also, they dont run super frequently so you will find yourself doing a lot of waiting around.

Also, there is off campus free parking to be had. As i mentioned before got down Riddle Road and use RiddleView or Marshall. Parking there. Of course it depends on when you get to campus, but even if you get there mid day there will be spots, just farther down the hill on Marshall perhaps. Beats paying for a garage every quarter and i have never had my car broken into down that way.

G Man
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 14,317 times
Well, I accepted UC's offer, so I will be moving there.

Are there paid parking places that aren't university lots? $200 per quarter is expensive!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Can anyone give me an opinion on McMillian Manor? Would it be safe walking to campus during the day? Anything on this would help. It's another student living place that I'm used to, but it seems relatively close, but don't know about walking.

Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM

19 posts, read 42,205 times
As a Cincinnati resident without a vehicle, and a regular user of the Metro, I can tell you that they are not gross, no worse than many mass transit systems I've used in other cities. Although they are either a little early or late many times, it is usually no more than 5 minutes or so, and busses run regularly through the day and early evening. Weekends and nights are more scarce. UC's program uses the same schedules as the general Metro system, since they are the same system. Since UC is close to downtown, many of the busses run every 15 minutes or so (to downtown and from downtown). You can read up more about it all at www.go-metro.com and http://www.uc.edu/af/facilities/go_METRO.html (broken link)

McMillian Manor, if I remember correct, is near the intersection of McMillian and High, which is across from Job and Family Services and probably a 10 minute or so walk to the first building on campus (which would be the Edwards Building). If your classes are in McMicken Hall, Teachers, Swift, Baldwin, etc. you would be looking at a 20 or so minute walk to class. It is very safe during the day and evening, as is everywhere around UC generally, it's the late nights that are questionable, but UC has a Night Walk program and shuttles that would run by that building (the CAS shuttle would). You can read more about that at http://www.uc.edu/af/facilities/shuttle_services.html (broken link) (shuttles) and http://sites.ucfilespace.uc.edu/sga/nsb (broken link) (night walk).

Since you are unfamiliar with the UC area, driving and parking on those streets can be frustrating if you get there on a day at a time when they are full up, since you won't really know where you can go next, PLUS, Cincinnati is doing many reconstruction projects around the area which will limit street parking on some roads and cause the people that usually park there to find other spots. The only pay lot off campus that I am aware of is that in Burnet Woods that was discussed earlier. Hope all this has been helpful. Good Luck with everything and Welcome to Cincinnati!!

Last edited by Didamc; 04-29-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatez112 View Post
Can anyone give me an opinion on McMillian Manor? Would it be safe walking to campus during the day? Anything on this would help. It's another student living place that I'm used to, but it seems relatively close, but don't know about walking.

Thanks!!
McMillan Manor is a ghetto already and its newly constructed. Why on earth they built that monstrosity is beyond me. It is not convenient to UC, is not safe, and has zero charm. Stick with the conventional UC student housing choices that have probably been discussed endlessly on this forum.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 AM

189 posts, read 601,613 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
McMillan Manor is on McMillan & Highland. There is a shuttle service to campus, with a stop outside of MM, that runs at almost all hours. It is a secure building. The Job & Family Services building across the street from MM is closing.

You could walk, but you don't have to, with the shuttle. If you walk Taft Rd. to campus, it is primarily walking by churches, offices & a masonic temple, to University Plaza. It is not residential, and traffic is heavy on Taft, so it is a very safe walk.

Queen City Metro has a contract with UC & the hospitals where students and employees are eligible for a bus card, which allows them to ride free. This program is basically new. You used to be able to just use your student or employee ID, but I guess there was some abuse, and you now have to apply for a card.

Metro has raised it's fares & replaced or remodeled all their buses. They also have added a number of hybrid buses. They are not dirty or gross. I do not drive, and either walk, bus or cab, and I can get almost anywhere I need to go in the city just fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Thank you all very much for the replies. I'm hoping to be able to avoid using the shuttles.

Are there any other apt complexes that might fit in my wants? Something furnished, not too terribly old, reasonably priced and within walking distance?

wilson....can you explain why you consider it to be "ghetto"?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much for the replies. I'm hoping to be able to avoid using the shuttles.

Are there any other apt complexes that might fit in my wants? Something furnished, not too terribly old, reasonably priced and within walking distance?

wilson....can you explain why you consider it to be "ghetto"?
Well, my office is about a mile south of there, and every time I go by there are the cell phone and slouchy pants crowd outside congregating on Highland Ave. I've never been inside but wouldn't want to be.

It may be coincidence. I snap a cell phone pic if I go by in the next day or so.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,678,769 times
My friend's daughter lives in a really nice furnished apartment that's located above the Panera. It's been very safe and she walks everywhere. You might want to check them out. They're newer and might fit your needs. Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 42,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
My friend's daughter lives in a really nice furnished apartment that's located above the Panera. It's been very safe and she walks everywhere. You might want to check them out. They're newer and might fit your needs. Best wishes.
Sunnydee is talking about the University Park Apartments. You can get info on them from UC's Housing Services or by going to www.myownapartment.com. They are pretty much right on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati