Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,882 times

Advertisements

I just took a job between Cincinnnati and Dayton. Where should a single, late 20's professional woman look for an apartment/condo. I would like to be in an area where there are other single people to meet, go to a movie, the gym, theatre, or shopping. I am leaving a job in small town Ohio which could double for Pleasantville. Its a great place if you already have a husband and kids. - I want that - but everybody is already taken here. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I want safe, but want someplace vibrant. Does it exist north of Cincinnati or South of Dayton??
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
There's an abundance of apartment/condo "communities" all along the northern stretch of I-275 between Montgomery to the east and Forest Park to the west. The suburban cities of Fairfield and West Chester contain many additional complexes along or near I-75 and Route 4 north of the Interstate. But the farther north you go on either of those highways, the more "family-oriented" the towns become; you'll see mostly subdivisions and big-box stores along with some remaining woods and farmland.
Aside from a walkable town center in Montgomery, this part of the world is American "sprawl" writ large: cineplexes, chain restaurants, etc with non-connecting parking lots flanking wide and busy roads. Blechhhh.
Many unattached working adults, principally in their 20's and 30's, would be your neighbors in these complexes. The best way to mix socially would be via the tried-and-true methods of sunning by the pool or stopping off at one of the umpteen local bar/restaurants after work. Far be it from me to recommend attending one of the megachurches that have sprung up beside I-75 along with a large mosque, but "faith communities" have always served the prosaic function of getting people introduced to one another.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Avoid Lebanon at all costs! It's a beautiful town, and has many charms and advantages, but if you're even as "old" as 25, people will ask you why you're not married yet.

Would you be averse to living in the city -- either one -- and driving to your job every day?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,172 times
You will have plenty of options. As you leave Cincy headed up I 75 towards Dayton you pass the exits of Union Center, Tylersville, and Cincy-Dayton Rd. This is the Westchester area and is a growing suburban area. Its highly populated with white families who have moved from the city for better school, safer neighborhoods and just general white flight principles. With that being said it can be a very nice place to live. Should be a collection of young professionals up there as well as there are businesses springing up there too. Living up there is probably a better option than living in Cincy and especially better than living in Dayton and having a longer commute. Where exactly is the new job? Monroe or Middletown could be options but i wouldnt advice either - but it could cut your commute almost to nothing.

G Man

Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoods View Post
I just took a job between Cincinnnati and Dayton. Where should a single, late 20's professional woman look for an apartment/condo. I would like to be in an area where there are other single people to meet, go to a movie, the gym, theatre, or shopping. I am leaving a job in small town Ohio which could double for Pleasantville. Its a great place if you already have a husband and kids. - I want that - but everybody is already taken here. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I want safe, but want someplace vibrant. Does it exist north of Cincinnati or South of Dayton??
The area between Cincinnati and Dayton isn't exactly a mecca for singles. That being said, West Chester or Mason would most likely offer you everything else you're wanting as far as shopping, theaters, and gyms. There ARE single people that live in these areas (I live in West Chester), and I'm sure there are singles all over the area. But to describe these areas as "vibrant" in terms of "nightlife" would be a bit of a misnomer, because the activity is related more to shopping and restaurants, as opposed to bars, concerts and parties. There is no "street life" up here, primarily because it's not an urban environment. But if you're not into that kind of thing, then you could certainly meet people in this area. It would simply be more apt to take place in a bookstore, gym, coffee shop, or church.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM

257 posts, read 608,678 times
You might want to try to live in W. Chester but I don't know if I would hang out there. I know one guy who lived there (but was engaged) and said he liked it because it was "quiet." I know another single guy who worked in W. Chester and lived there, but moved to Norwood recently and commutes now because he said it was so boring up there. He said the commute is more than worth it, but not sure if it would be an even longer commute for you to live in Cincy.

If you were to choose between the two cities, I would choose Cincinnati or be closer to it than Dayton. Not that it is the singles mecca of the world by far but I've heard from several people the "scene" in Dayton is even worse.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
Living in West Chester is great...if, as New_to_town said, you like being somewhere quiet, or if your idea of vibrancy means shopping, movies, gyms, and restaurants. There are parks around the area, and great walking/biking trails. It really all depends on what you like to do. "Boring" is a relative term. For me personally, I'm not into the "vibrant, urban chic" singles scene, so WC doesn't bother me. But I DO agree you'd have much better luck living closer to Cincinnati.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 13,882 times
My thanks to everyone for your replies. You have been most helpful. I think that being closer to Cincy rather than in the northern suburban towns will meet my needs and I will begin my search there. I am looking for a location that will be convenient to taking an evening class, participating in latin and swing dance, maybe has a community orchestra open to the non-professional, and has a progressive mind-set. I may be describing downtown or a university town. I don't mind driving for outdoor activites when I feel the need for hiking or cycling. If you have specific recommendations please advise.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 PM

257 posts, read 608,678 times
You might like Clifton. You'd be close to the University, with a somewhat progressive mindset (for Cincy) and could go to the mad frog (also it's not far from downtown/Havana Martini Club) for Latin dance, you can also check here for more: Events - Global Mixx Party @ Mixx Ultra Lounge (Friday, April 17th) - News - MidwestLatino.

You'd also be close (5-10 minutes away) to Mt. Airy for casual hiking, but for anything more serious you'd have to get out of the city. Try meetup.com for hiking/mtn biking events.

Clifton is also close to I-75 to get up to the Dayton area.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM

94 posts, read 240,116 times
Yeah, I'd say the Gaslight district in Clifton would give you the culture you are looking for. I'm a 27 single female professional, and I live in Madisonville in the Madison Place section of town. I like it because it's close to downtown and all the area hot spots, but the area is walkable. I just wouldn't want the commute from Clifton to Dayton, but that's me. I hate to drive more than 15 minutes to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati