U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,897,875 times

Advertisements

Granted, most of my information about her comes from WLW... But it seems like she's more interested in pursuing higher political office than providing justice to the citizens of Warren Co. I think she tried to go WAAAY overboard on the Mason High School kids that disconnected the bus heaters. (Glad that it finally ended up as a school district matter). I'm also not convinced that Ryan Widmer is guilty of murdering his wife. What I believe is that Warren Co. (unlike Hamilton Co.) doesn't have a big crime problem, so Hutzel is trying to make a name for herself. Your thoughts...

Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,946,405 times
What would any of us do if something "high-profile" that was part of our job description but rarely happened, did happen? It's curious to me that we Americans eat up justice-as-theater when the grandstanding is done by plaintiffs', or defense, lawyers. But the more I think as I type, it occurs to me that the livelier the spectacle the better we like it no matter which side is supplying the theatrics. What we're actually seeing in the Hutzel-bashing is S-E-X-I-S-M. "Law is a man's profession...tsk, tsk, look how she's responding to being in the spotlight, I bet she's aiming to run for state rep and that's a man's job too...borderline personality disorder blah blah blah..." It's the typical backlash directed at someone who doesn't "know their place." But now it's cloaked in words that don't come right out and say it that way. Traits that make a man a "real go-getter" make a woman a "****** on wheels;" nobody in the media comments on how a guy is dressed and groomed when he appears on camera unless he looks a mess; on and on it goes.
I'm sure there are those who remain convinced that the Canadian who had the chick on the side came home to find his wife pouring kerosene in the upstairs hallway, and had to fight for his life against the smaller person's flailing at him with a skillet. Riiiiight. Had that crime in Mason been tried, his defenders would've been full of what a great human being he was and his mom would've had her turn too. And presenting the state's case? Somebody who didn't know her place and became an attorney instead of marrying one.
Besides the murdered spouse's family, naturally, the people I feel bad for are the ones who own the Widmer's Cleaners stores and who work in them. Only mentioned one time in all the ink spilled about this incident is the fact that the dry-cleaning family is "no relation" to that of poor Ryan, found innocent in trial by talk radio.
I'll accept the blame for promptly steering this thread off course, but let's face it, we all know what the catalyst was for getting it started. My take on it, though, is as I stated earlier. If the prosecutor peed standing up any perceived aspirations toward higher office would've been applauded or at least viewed less harshly.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
Ryan Widmer's saga aside, Rachel Hutzel is a miserable, self seeking, incompetent. She has repeatedly tried her cases in the press because she knows that nearly everyone in Warren County are news savvy, they read or hear her every word. (Warren County defendants do not have the advantage of clueless locals, like we have in HamCo, who see or read no news). By the time a case gets to court, she has effectively poisoned the entire jury pool. If you compare the things she says to the press with what is actually delivered in court, this is obvious. She has no judgment or sense of proportion. And, her unethical conduct with that DUI one of her relatives was involved in should have had her in handcuffs herself.

She should be disbarred.

Other than that, she's OK.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,288 times
It's her job to put people in jail, not help them out.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
What would any of us do if something "high-profile" that was part of our job description but rarely happened, did happen? It's curious to me that we Americans eat up justice-as-theater when the grandstanding is done by plaintiffs', or defense, lawyers. But the more I think as I type, it occurs to me that the livelier the spectacle the better we like it no matter which side is supplying the theatrics. What we're actually seeing in the Hutzel-bashing is S-E-X-I-S-M. "Law is a man's profession...tsk, tsk, look how she's responding to being in the spotlight, I bet she's aiming to run for state rep and that's a man's job too...borderline personality disorder blah blah blah..." It's the typical backlash directed at someone who doesn't "know their place." But now it's cloaked in words that don't come right out and say it that way. Traits that make a man a "real go-getter" make a woman a "****** on wheels;" nobody in the media comments on how a guy is dressed and groomed when he appears on camera unless he looks a mess; on and on it goes.
I'm sure there are those who remain convinced that the Canadian who had the chick on the side came home to find his wife pouring kerosene in the upstairs hallway, and had to fight for his life against the smaller person's flailing at him with a skillet. Riiiiight. Had that crime in Mason been tried, his defenders would've been full of what a great human being he was and his mom would've had her turn too. And presenting the state's case? Somebody who didn't know her place and became an attorney instead of marrying one.
Besides the murdered spouse's family, naturally, the people I feel bad for are the ones who own the Widmer's Cleaners stores and who work in them. Only mentioned one time in all the ink spilled about this incident is the fact that the dry-cleaning family is "no relation" to that of poor Ryan, found innocent in trial by talk radio.
I'll accept the blame for promptly steering this thread off course, but let's face it, we all know what the catalyst was for getting it started. My take on it, though, is as I stated earlier. If the prosecutor peed standing up any perceived aspirations toward higher office would've been applauded or at least viewed less harshly.
Goy Guy, I really enjoy your posts, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. My dislike for Rachel Hutzel has NOTHING to do with the fact that she's a woman. I see her as another part of the trend for SOME prosecutors to use their office as a stepping stone to bigger & better things. (As in "Mike Nifong, prosecutor of the Duke Lacrosse team"...) Delivering justice is one thing. I'm sure that if the case of the Mason guy that killed his family and set his house on fire had come to trial, Prosecutor Hutzel's office would've done the right thing and that the verdict would've been fair.

As for the Widmer case, granted I wasn't in the court room. but I have yet to hear any evidence that convinces me he's guilty. But plenty that he might be innocent.

Plenty of names are common in this country. I'd imagine sensible people wouldn't confuse the name of a convicted criminal with their favorite business of the same last name. Or wouldn't care, anyway...

I also believe the case of the young men in Mason who disconnected the school bus engine block heaters should've never reached her office. There was NO damage to school board property. And that her ranting about "the large financial loss incurred by many" over this incident was just political noise. Financial loss from an extra "snow day"? PUH-leeze.

Living in Boston, you may not have heard her commercials about parents providing alcohol to minors. And, granted, our American mores about alcohol are just plain nuts. But I'd be scared to death if I had kids and we lived in Warren County.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 PM

7,696 posts, read 5,424,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Ryan Widmer's saga aside, Rachel Hutzel is a miserable, self seeking, incompetent. She has repeatedly tried her cases in the press because she knows that nearly everyone in Warren County are news savvy, they read or hear her every word. (Warren County defendants do not have the advantage of clueless locals, like we have in HamCo, who see or read no news). By the time a case gets to court, she has effectively poisoned the entire jury pool. If you compare the things she says to the press with what is actually delivered in court, this is obvious. She has no judgment or sense of proportion. And, her unethical conduct with that DUI one of her relatives was involved in should have had her in handcuffs herself.

She should be disbarred.

Other than that, she's OK.
From all that I have seen, or read, you are 100% correct!

Widmer will win on appeal, if he doesn't commit suicide first

Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,669,758 times
I am inclined to believe that Ryan killed her, but this is just my opinion after reading many news articles and accounts out of morbid curiosity. The logistics involved could never fall in his favor or create any substantial/reasonable doubt. I would have liked to hear his testimony.

Last edited by HuskerDu; 04-13-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,531,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
I am inclined to believe that Ryan killed her, but this is just my opinion after reading many news articles and accounts out of morbid curiosity. The logistics involved could never fall in his favor or create any substantial/reasonable doubt. I would have liked to hear his testimony.
ITA I believe he killed her and it is so sad if juror misconduct gets him off.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
Anyone who has tried to dunk a younger brother or sister in teh tub knows he couldn't have killed her. She obviously has a seizure and it was probably the same undiagnosed disorder that caused her to "sleep" in inappropriate circumstances.

If you try to hold someone down under water, you both get hurt: scratches, cuts, briuses etc. Just try it at home if you didn't have aggressive siblings. It can't be done. We thrash around and kick and scream and claw with all our might to avoid drowning. Don't believe me? Try it for 10 seconds. I'd bet you can't even get a person under the water much less hold them there without significant injuries. And the wife was a full size person in good physical condition. The defense did a lousy job. And, they did a lousy job on that dry skin issue too. Better luck next time.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Good variety of replies! What I find amazing is that there are good arguments on both sides of the Widmer verdict. I still believe all the evidence I heard on WLW () suggests that he's innocent. And I'm inclined to agree after hearing that her recently-manacuerd nails we'ren't damaged, nor was there his DNA under them. I agree that she'd fought awfully hard if he had tried to drown her. Medical science is good, but I don't believe that they have all the answers yet.

Back to Prosecutor Hutzel, I still believe she brought this case to trial in a rush before a good investigation was complete...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati