U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM

289 posts, read 1,318,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
But there WAS a Cherokee Motors, right? I even seem to remember the commercials -- the guy in a headdress, speaking in a fake, stereotypical Indian accent "Cherr-o-keee Mo-torrrs, Sev-en-tee-five Oh-Five Vine, Whurr Pad-dock Meets Vine at th' Big In'dyan Sign"

Or maybe just another hallucination . . . .
You're right. See the following clip:

Best of Cincinnati 2004 The Spine of the City

According to the article, Cherokee Motors was the name
of the lot from the mid-1960's, when Fords were sold there.
The sign was constructed in the 1950's, though, by
Jake Sweeney, who was selling Pontiacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM

133 posts, read 557,474 times
Jake Sweeney!! That's the name I remember associated with the sign. Now the sign will be doubly antique, since Pontiac itself will soon be in the "dust bin of history"

Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,507,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
You know that pigs do fly in Cincinnati, as can be seen by the four majestic winged pigs on the river front.
Apparently they can dance too ! Cincinnati Dancing Pigs Jug Band

Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,725 times
Does anyone remember Art Mehring the "Copter Cop"?....or him talking about flying over the Hopple St viaduct?......or the Gayety Burlesque?....or Ohio Tax Stamps?...or Around The World in 80 Days showing at the Albee Theatre for over two years?....or going over to buy cigarettes in Kentucky for less that $3.00 a carton?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
Art Mehring isn't remembered by me, but somebody liked him enough to get a street by the stadiums (re)named Mehring Way. It used to be fun - when stuck in traffic on 75 - to look up at the copters flying over to see which station they represented, at least when you were a kid. 'tain't the same having those big digital signs warning of congestion/construction ahead.
"The Sound of Music" also played at the Albee for eons. I think it got replaced as the main feature only when the film got made for TV. Geez, nowadays when you want to catch a flick in a theater you have to move fast. Two weeks or less and it's gone to DVD. Not that the theater experience itself is anything like it was when the RKO "palaces" existed downtown.
You can still buy cigs in Kentucky for under four bucks a pack. The question today is, where can you get away with lighting up?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
I definitely remember Art Mehring and his Eye in the Sky broadcasts. As you say there is a Mehring Way street by the stadiums, which is a testament to how much he was liked in Cincinnati.

The RKO Albee was truely a unique theater. But the rest of the chain in Cincinnati was also memorable, specifically the Palace, the Grand, and the Paramount. Going downtown to the movies on a weekend date back then was truely a memorable experience.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,431,459 times
I watched with fascination from above when the destroyed the Albee. It probably cost my employer $5,000 for me to spectate the demolition because I was fixated on it. At the time i worked in an office above it.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM

289 posts, read 1,318,575 times
Default Radio days

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativkentuckian View Post
Does anyone remember Art Mehring the "Copter Cop"?....or him talking about flying over the Hopple St viaduct?......or the Gayety Burlesque?....or Ohio Tax Stamps?...or Around The World in 80 Days showing at the Albee Theatre for over two years?....or going over to buy cigarettes in Kentucky for less that $3.00 a carton?
Yup - Lt. Art Mehring was a fixture of late-afternoon radio in the 1960's with his traffic reports. Seems to me he also appeared as a guest host on "Play it Safe" from time to time - in case anyone remembers that Saturday-morning classic.

Stops to visit Kentucky cigarette purveyors were de rigeur on the way back from the Boone County airport, even as late as the 1970's.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,672 times
Actually, I think it was Harry's Corner that said "I don't care about making money, I just love selling carpets." Harry used to come into the office frequently...I worked for the law firm that represented him. Wasn't Buddy's later than Harry's Corner?

My happiest younger days excursions were swimming at Coney Island and going to Moonlight Gardens with my date at night. We enjoyed all of the big name bands there. The sad thing was that they would not allow black people in Coney at that time. It was the late 40's and early 50's.

We also went dancing at Castle Farm which I think was located in Roselawn or Sharonville...can't remember. Many fraternities had dances there.

We used to stop at Frisch's after movies and dances...we ate big boys and drank their extra thick milkshakes, both of which were out of this world. The funny thing is that we never gained a pound eating that stuff. We were very active teenagers, playing tennis, baseball, walking everywhere because few had cars.

I remember going downtown to a movie on the streetcar with a date. Also remember climbing in the kitchen window because we came home too late from a date...stepped in the dog dish soaking in the sink while climbing in. Mom always said she never saw kids have so much fun as we all did. Life seemed much more relaxed and safer in those days.

I remember Art Mehring on the radio way back when, too.

Last edited by lizbeth333; 03-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: addition to post

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM

75 posts, read 84,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Nobody it seems, outside Greater Cincinnati, knows what a "pony keg" is. Fun list.
To the rest of the world, pony keg is an obscure term for a one-quater size barrel of beer, basically a smaller barrel to serve smaller parties. Its an interesting term with an unclear origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or