U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Deer Park, OH
246 posts, read 881,867 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

I'm seeking information about Linden Grove School and Summit Academy, both local schools for children on the autism spectrum. I'd be appreciative to any parents who can give me some inside info about either school. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
 
3 posts, read 23,511 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
I'm seeking information about Linden Grove School and Summit Academy, both local schools for children on the autism spectrum. I'd be appreciative to any parents who can give me some inside info about either school. Thanks.
Hello, I signed up here to answer your question! I don't know anything about Linden Grove... is it private? Anyway we send our two children to Summit Academy in Cincinnati. It has been a GODSEND to us. Our son has severe ADHD, and the public schools could not handle his behavior. They even wanted to hold him back a grade. He's been at Summit for 2 years now, where they are talking about having him skip a grade! He is very intelligent, but we do not have him on any meds - he just needed to be instructed a specific way geared to his individual needs, and they accommodate him beautifully there. (Our other "regular needs" child enjoys Summit too!)

If on the other hand your child suffers from Autism I think you would still be happy at Summit. The staff works hard to provide a great education for every student at the school. Your best bet is to call them at (513) 321-0561 right away as they have a high demand for the upcoming school year. Good luck in your search.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Reputation: 8239
Since you asked about Linden Grove, I assume that you are looking for K-8. For special needs children, the best school within 500 miles is right across the street from The Summit, Springer School. Springer costs about the same as the Summit High School and has scholarship money available. The ratio is about 2-3 students for each in class faculty, most of whom have post graduate degrees in special ed. They have a full time on site psychologist for 200 kids. I found it strange that you had not asked about Springer. Is there a reason?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Deer Park, OH
246 posts, read 881,867 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Since you asked about Linden Grove, I assume that you are looking for K-8. For special needs children, the best school within 500 miles is right across the street from The Summit, Springer School. Springer costs about the same as the Summit High School and has scholarship money available. The ratio is about 2-3 students for each in class faculty, most of whom have post graduate degrees in special ed. They have a full time on site psychologist for 200 kids. I found it strange that you had not asked about Springer. Is there a reason?
We looked into Springer and got the impression that it catered more to ADHD kids and children with learning disabilities rather than kids on the autism spectrum. Is that not the case?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:05 AM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Reputation: 8239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
We looked into Springer and got the impression that it catered more to ADHD kids and children with learning disabilities rather than kids on the autism spectrum. Is that not the case?
Springer accepts children who are high functioning on the autism spectrum (which are "learning disabled" children by definition). Low functioning autism children would not do well at either Springer or Summit. But I can tell you as a parent who has had children at both Springer and Summit, if your child qualifies at Springer, Springer is where you want him or her to be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Deer Park, OH
246 posts, read 881,867 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Springer accepts children who are high functioning on the autism spectrum (which are "learning disabled" children by definition). Low functioning autism children would not do well at either Springer or Summit. But I can tell you as a parent who has had children at both Springer and Summit, if your child qualifies at Springer, Springer is where you want him or her to be.
Are your children on the autism spectrum? Our son is high-functioning -- no academic problems -- he has social delays and can be disruptive in class at times (e.g., shouting) -- but when we visited Springer a few years ago we got the distinct impression from the school administrators that he wouldn't really be welcome there . . .

Technically, I believe autism is considered a developmental disability rather than a learning disability . . . not everyone on the autism spectrum has a learning disability (though some do, certainly) . . . my son doesn't have trouble learning, he has trouble relating to peers and dealing with the typical classroom routine . . .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Reputation: 8239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
Are your children on the autism spectrum? Our son is high-functioning -- no academic problems -- he has social delays and can be disruptive in class at times (e.g., shouting) -- but when we visited Springer a few years ago we got the distinct impression from the school administrators that he wouldn't really be welcome there . . .

Technically, I believe autism is considered a developmental disability rather than a learning disability . . . not everyone on the autism spectrum has a learning disability (though some do, certainly) . . . my son doesn't have trouble learning, he has trouble relating to peers and dealing with the typical classroom routine . . .
I see. They have an excellent screening process at Springer. I'm sure that they would have encouraged you if there had been an opportunity to help your child. I'm glad that your son is not having learning troubles. Best of luck. Summit is great too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
 
3 posts, read 23,511 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
Are your children on the autism spectrum? Our son is high-functioning -- no academic problems -- he has social delays and can be disruptive in class at times (e.g., shouting) -- but when we visited Springer a few years ago we got the distinct impression from the school administrators that he wouldn't really be welcome there . . .

Technically, I believe autism is considered a developmental disability rather than a learning disability . . . not everyone on the autism spectrum has a learning disability (though some do, certainly) . . . my son doesn't have trouble learning, he has trouble relating to peers and dealing with the typical classroom routine . . .
First of all, I think it's important to clarify that there is a Summit Country Day here in Cincy, which is a Catholic school. It is in no way related to Summit Academy, a free, publicly-funded charter school for ADHD, Asperger's, PDD-NOS, etc. Summit Academy's website is summitacademies.com. We considered Springer despite the high tuition and while I have heard great things about it, when we sent our DS for testing there they could not determine whether he had any LD's - his ADHD precluded an accurate LD assessment!

I also wanted to say however that I think given your description of your son, he would really benefit from Summit Academy since they understand how important consistent routines are. Also they devote a lot of time to socialization, making friends, etc. For me one of the best aspects of Summit Academy is that with their small class sizes, each child gets specialized attention from the two instructors per class; that means each child pretty much gets to work at his or her own pace/ability. My husband and I are hoping and praying that they survive this horrible state educational budget crisis. I don't know where else I would send my children - and we live in an "excellent" school district outside the city!

Last edited by AZLULA; 04-18-2009 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: clarification
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
 
1 posts, read 9,479 times
Reputation: 11
What about high school? My son is on the spectrum, high functioning, and has been turned down for the Catholic High Schools, even the one with an "autism program" due to not having "a level of independence that the reports indicate he does not have right now".....PC talk for NO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
 
1 posts, read 8,537 times
Reputation: 10
Kaykay....did you ever get any good feedback on High Schools for kids with ADHD in the Cincinnati area?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top