U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 37,588 times

Advertisements

Are there any neighborhoods downtown that are actually walkable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
What do you mean by walkable?

I consider "walkable"

Downtown/OTR
Covington
Newport
Bellvue
Gaslight Clifton
Northside
Hyde Park
Mt. Lookout

Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Walkable like... (and I'm coming from Chicago, so I realize this may not happen)

I can walk out of my apartment/house/townhouse and be in walking distance to a grocery store, retail stores, maybe a few little restaurants or delis. Basically, to where I can spend my days outdoors.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
What do you mean by walkable?

I consider "walkable"

Downtown/OTR
Covington
Newport
Bellvue
Gaslight Clifton
Northside
Hyde Park
Mt. Lookout
Followup on this one.... which of these are safe neighborhoods? I've heard mixed reviews about OTR, but they have some great lofts.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM

all are safe. Some neighborhoods have rough parts, but you aren't going to be in any of the rough patches accidentally. It is unlikely you will be, for example, on Republic Street in OTR for any reason at 1am. There isn't anything there if you understand what I am saying. East OTR and South OTR are fine. You will have no problem walking up to north OTR in the day, and there isn't anything open at night that you would be going to anyways.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM

246 posts, read 881,867 times
Add Deer Park to the list . . . .

Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
Add Deer Park to the list . . . .
I would say that Deer Park walkable but you really don't see any walkers.

Cheviot could be added to the list as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 PM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
Tons of Cincinnati is walkable, including virtually everything near downtown. I agree with jlrosen's list of walkability.

But it almost sounds like you are asking if one can live Car Free in Cincinnati - which is a different question entirely.

I'd argue that nowhere in Cincinnati would be a good place to live car free. Maybe Downtown/OTR, but even that's pushing it because of a lack of acceptable grocery options and movie theaters. You're going to want the use of a car to maximize your retail and entertainment options.

The good thing is that none of the listed neighborhoods are totally auto-centric either. You can comfortably walk to a wide variety of services depending on your location. There just aren't many places where you would want to walk to ALL of your needs.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Tons of Cincinnati is walkable, including virtually everything near downtown. I agree with jlrosen's list of walkability.

But it almost sounds like you are asking if one can live Car Free in Cincinnati - which is a different question entirely.

I'd argue that nowhere in Cincinnati would be a good place to live car free. Maybe Downtown/OTR, but even that's pushing it because of a lack of acceptable grocery options and movie theaters. You're going to want the use of a car to maximize your retail and entertainment options.

The good thing is that none of the listed neighborhoods are totally auto-centric either. You can comfortably walk to a wide variety of services depending on your location. There just aren't many places where you would want to walk to ALL of your needs.
AMC at the Levee for movie theater, walkable (seasonally) or take the southbank.

As for groceries, Vine St. Kroger has come a very long way. Add in Findlay Market and Avril Bleh's on Court and you have just about what you need grocery wise.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM

77 posts, read 169,038 times
Try this site: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati