U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,045 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Cincinnati area from Milwaukee, WI this June for a new job that my husband received. We just found out and for me, it's late notice to be moving to another state. We have a 20 month old son, and we are in our twenties. We are used to city living, but have stayed in relatively good neighborhoods even though we do not have a lot of money. I am wondering where we could move that would be safe for our family, yet still entertaining and affordable. I have heard that Northern Kentucky can be good? I have also heard that we should avoid everything to the west of Cincinnati within the state of Ohio? Is this true? Ideally, I would like to be somewhere where we can go for walks, go to a library, and have access to parks. Safety is of utmost importance, however. It scares me not to know block to block what is good or not... here in Milwaukee I do. We also need to find a 2 bedroom apartment that is no more than $620 a month. Could you also give me any information on cheap places to shop, events, or anything that might make me more at ease with moving to this new city. Thanks in advance.

P.S. If you know of any sites to help me find apartments or townhomes that would be great!

Last edited by azraelmylove; 04-17-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 AM

310 posts, read 1,060,232 times
Default Cincinnati Newcomer

Newcomer,

Try using craigslist for rentals. Here is the link.

craigslist: cincinnati, OH classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

If you like urban living, try Towne Properties. Here is their link.

Find Your New Home in Towne

Good Luck,
Mike

Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 AM

189 posts, read 601,318 times
I would say whoever told you to stay away from the westside of Cincinnati was probably an eastsider. There is a big east/west rivalry in Cincinnati. Although I grew up here, it was pretty much "in the middle", and during the course of my adult life have lived on both sides of town, and think the rivalry is silly.

That being said, the east and west sides of town are different. The west side is predominately Catholic and conservative. There are some parts of the westside to avoid, mostly closer to the downtown area, but as you go farther west, most places are very safe. Look in Green Township, Bridgetown, Western Hills, Dent, Sayler Park. Also parts of Upper Price Hill, Delhi, Cheviot ~ just try to stay away from the larger, run down apartment complexes.

Places to avoid - Westwood, Fairmount, Lower Price Hill. Northwest areas such as Colerain, have become "Section 8" areas, and are not as safe as they used to be.

As for Kentucky, look around Fort Mitchell. It is a great place to live. It is safe adn close to a lot of things {and good school district, although you won't have to worry about that for a while}.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,623 times
For $620 a month, you'll be hard-pressed to find a decent 2BR apartment on the east side...which is typically the "hipper" part of the area where 20-somethings migrate to. You'll also have trouble in the northern and eastern suburbs which ring the circle freeway, yet are generally the safest. But as soozycue520 said, it's probably a lot of misinformation you're getting about the west side, and most likely coming from those on the east side. The west side is nice...it actually has one of the better school districts in the metro - Oak Hills. If you can, try to stay away from the apartment complexes, especially on the west side of town. If you look in a privately owned home, such as a duplex or 4-unit building, you'll typically find a much nicer place for $620 a month, and your landlord will most likely care more about your concerns than a complex management company will. That pretty much goes for the entire area.

On the west side, you're basically going to want to stay west of Anderson Ferry Road and Glenway Avenue, which will make it harder to find an apartment because those areas are predominantly private homes. Maybe consider Newport or Fort Thomas in Northern Kentucky. Fairfield might be an option for you, but stay south of Symmes Road. Pay attention to the apartment ads in the paper because you can find some really great places that are in private duplexes.

As for cheap areas to shop, I guess that depends on the kinds of stores you want to shop in. Cincinnati is one of the cheapest places to live in the country.

I'm not sure what kind of information I could give you about any specific events, but listen, don't be afraid to ask us about anything in particular. People in the metro are overall very nice and welcoming to newcomers. If you see a place and you're not sure about the area, ask us and we can tell you yea or nay. The Cincinnati area is comprised of so many pocketed areas that it's hard to point you to a specific area where you'll find everything you want and still be able to afford it. If there's any way at all you can increase the amount you want to pay for an apartment or townhome, your options will open up exponentially.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 42,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post

Northwest areas such as Colerain, have become "Section 8" areas, and are not as safe as they used to be.
I lived and worked in Colerain for 5 years. It is not bad. Though for $620, you'd be looking mainly at complexes which have the potential for bad neighbors. With the housing market the way it is, you may want to think about buying a house if you can. You may pay a little more than $620 with taxes and all, but you'd own your home and can find a nice neighborhood to live in. Plus, if you're a first time homebuyer, there is a $8000 tax credit you'll receive on your 2009 return (must stay in the house for 3 years) that can be a great help.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
That's a pretty tight budget. Cincinnati has a lower cost of living index than Milwaukee. Usually when people move here they have an expectation of rents at a higher rate. I'm not sure you will meet all your needs at $620.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,570,102 times
There have been numerous responses, all very good. One thing however has been missed. What part of the Cincinnati area will your husband be working. I have 2 sons who were working in Hamilton so they bought homes there. One is now working in Mason and the other near downtown Cincinnati. The drive can be time consuming during certain times of the day. With a 20 month old child, you probably would not want your husband on the road an hour or more each way going to or from work. If you could let us know which area of the city he will be working, you may get more suggestions of areas to live that are relatively close. Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
For $620 a month, you'll be hard-pressed to find a decent 2BR apartment on the east side... If you look in a privately owned home, such as a duplex or 4-unit building, you'll typically find a much nicer place for $620 a month, and your landlord will most likely care more about your concerns than a complex management company will. That pretty much goes for the entire area.

Recently, I saw a number of fourplexes along Beechmont Ave. on Mt. Washington hill for $450 including heat. Since I do not rent, I have no idea of what they look like inside but the area is pretty good but there is a lot of traffic in the area.

Personally, I have found that the cost of living in Cincinnati is pretty similar to Milwaukee although your mileage may vary.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Recently, I saw a number of fourplexes along Beechmont Ave. on Mt. Washington hill for $450 including heat. Since I do not rent, I have no idea of what they look like inside but the area is pretty good but there is a lot of traffic in the area.

Personally, I have found that the cost of living in Cincinnati is pretty similar to Milwaukee although your mileage may vary.
Some fourplexes are nice. You just have to check them out. I imagine the reason they are so much cheaper is because they are privately managed by the owners, and are most likely paid off...no mortgage for the owner to worry about, and thus he/she can keep the rents lower.

About 5 years ago I was looking for an apartment and saw one in a College Hill fourplex that was so-so. It had new windows, and I would have had my own garage space. I liked the place, even though the kitchen was a bit dated, and the bathroom was tiny.....the door opened into the hallway as opposed to into the bathroom, because otherwise it would have bumped into the sink. The bedroom was great...ceiling fan, cable jacks, A/C, etc. And it was decently quiet. But I ultimately turned it down because of the location, and I found one in Butler County that was much nicer.

I've seen some apartments in fourplexes, or eightplexes, that have exposed brick walls with huge kitchens, balconies, and unique layouts. So you just have to check them out. In general, I'd rather have an apartment in a smaller building as opposed to anything in a complex.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Some fourplexes are nice. You just have to check them out. I imagine the reason they are so much cheaper is because they are privately managed by the owners, and are most likely paid off...no mortgage for the owner to worry about, and thus he/she can keep the rents lower.
Especially in Cincinnati, small landlords really like to have stable renters - you know, the type of people that will stay for years and you never have to worry about them trashing the property. Especially in recent years, they have been as scarce as hens teeth.

Most landlords will avoid rent increases just to keep the stability,

One bad tenant can eliminate the profit from a property for a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati