U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,374 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm a 26 single male professional moving to Cincy in June and I will be a resident doc at the University med center starting July. I've been reading threads on this forum non-stop, and I have come up with a few places I think I could live in. I am visiting the city next week and have 3 days to tour a bunch of places and make a decision. So, what do you guys think of:

Downtown:
The Renaissance
Gramercy on Garfield
Groton Lofts
East 8th
Sycamore Place
Kinsey Flats

Newport:
Marx Corner

Also, I keep hearing good places about Hyde Park and Mount Adams, but don't know where to start looking.

I'm looking for a place that is close to stuff that a young professional single guy would be into doing (bars, restaurants, sports, singles scene, etc) in a place that is safe. I would like to be less than 15 minutes from the med center, although that's not my main concern. My budget is anywhere from 800 to about a thousand a month for a one bedroom (don't like studios). Since I'm moving from Southern California, that seems like really cheap rent to me. I like places with my own washer/dryer, but I could live without that if I like what the rest of the apartment has to offer.

So, help? Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
Those places you mentioned downtown all fit the description. Downtown is a great place to live.

Not familiar with Marx Corner.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Marx Corner is basically the Kinsey Flats equivalent in Newport. Owned by Middle Earth Properties.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 17,300 times
My dad said the Gramercy has horrible kitchens and The Renaissance has good kitchens.

That's all I can help with!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,578,963 times
The Renaissance bedrooms are really kinda small. Other than that, I like the apartments.

The only thing I like about the Gramercy on Garfield is the bay window feature. Other than that, they seem rather boring.

Groton Lofts are cool, but it doesn't seem like anything is available until May or June. So if you're interested, it might behoove you to contact them ASAP. Some of the 1BRs are rather boring, though.

East 8th has cool layouts, but some kitchens are small.

I REALLY like Sycamore Place. Very unique!

Kinsey Flats are very chic....but you might be hard-pressed getting one.

Of course none of that may be an issue to you, as your greater interest is probably in making sure you're in an active area for singles. If it were me, I'd go with The Renaissance, Groton Lofts, or Sycamore Place.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdoc27 View Post
Also, I keep hearing good places about Hyde Park and Mount Adams, but don't know where to start looking.
These areas have a couple large apartment buildings, but it's mostly individual or small rental properties. Your best bet is probably to scope out Craigslist or the classifieds, and then drive around the neighborhoods yourself when you visit and look for "for rent" signs.

Downtown sounds like a great option for you, but so does Mt. Adams. Certainly with Eden Park and all the bars, it sounds like Mt Adams would meet your needs.

Hyde Park could work as well - lots of young professionals. But it's definitely a more low key neighborhood. The bars and activities are more spread out. I guess it just depends on whether you want to see small yards (Hyde Park), tiny yards (Mt Adams), or no yards (Downtown).

Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM

43 posts, read 154,409 times
My husband and I are just moving out of the Groton Lofts and into a house, but we will miss the Groton tons! We lived in a 2 bedroom loft and it was great. The people from Towne Properties are extremely friendly and have monthly get-togethers. The Groton is above Sully's bar, so the weekends can be a little noisy (we lived on the 3rd floor), but it wasn't that bad and during the week it is not loud at all. I'm not sure about the 1 bedroom units, but we had a ton of space with a great closet and huge windows. You will be close to everything - bars, restaurants, entertainment, you name it and it's only a few blocks away. I highly recommend the Groton. Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDerringer0807 View Post
My husband and I are just moving out of the Groton Lofts and into a house, but we will miss the Groton tons! We lived in a 2 bedroom loft and it was great. The people from Towne Properties are extremely friendly and have monthly get-togethers. The Groton is above Sully's bar, so the weekends can be a little noisy (we lived on the 3rd floor), but it wasn't that bad and during the week it is not loud at all. I'm not sure about the 1 bedroom units, but we had a ton of space with a great closet and huge windows. You will be close to everything - bars, restaurants, entertainment, you name it and it's only a few blocks away. I highly recommend the Groton. Good Luck!
How about the noise in between apartments? Are the walls paper thin, or is this not a problem? And I keep hearing about the monthly get-togethers from Towne. Did you go?

Thanks a bunch, everyone.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 154,409 times
We never had any problems with noise in between apartments - it was actually a lot quieter than I expected as a whole. The monthly get togethers vary from happy hour at a bar to a pool party. . . we went to a few of them. They are a good way to meet people if you are new to the area. Another great thing about the Groton is that you have access to the Shilito lofts to use the gym and rec area there and you have access to the rooftop pool at the Gramercy - these are amenities that we will greatly miss once we're gone. Also, if you have a dog or are planning to get one, the Groton is the only Towne Property building that allows them. This never seemed to be a problem with noise either. We rarely ever heard other people's dogs. If you do have a dog, it's a great way to meet people in the building as you often have "dog run-ins" in the elevator. We have two pugs, so this was great. Let me know if you have any more questions...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM

So, I got a unit in Kinsey. I was lucky - it won't be available until my move-in date. It seems like these apartments are hot; they go really fast. I was going to look at one in Groton but it also went and I didn't even get to see it. I took a look at Renaissance, Sycamore, Gramercy, Sixth and Race, Kinsey Flats, and a few places in Mt. Adams. Overall, I'm excited about my choice, but from what I saw, I wouldn't mind living at Renaissance or Sycamore as well. If anyone has any questions about downtown places, I might be able to key you in on a few things.

Also, I had a blast while in Cincinnati. I went out to Nada for their Cinco de Mayo party and it was impressive. I already made some friends. It seems there are a lot of things to do out here and the city is more alive than a lot of places I have lived in. It's definitely a change from Southern California, but I think I will enjoy it. Thanks everyone for the tips, and see you next month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati