Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,504 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think about the proposed passenger rail system to link Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati? Do enough people in each of these cities regularly travel to the others so that such a rail system would be warranted? The I-71 corridor that presently connects these cities is quite busy, but how many Clevelanders make Cincinnati or Columbus a travel destination and vice versa?

If the Ohio plan were joined by a continued rail route south, perhaps all the way to Tampa, FL or Miami (following the I-75 corridor through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida), I think the interest in rail travel would be much more substantial. Presently, anyone who wants to travel south by rail from Ohio (and only from Cleveland and Cincinnati--Columbus has no rail service now) either has to head to Chicago first (a 10+ hr train trip from Cincinnati) or go way east to Virginia before they can pick up a southbound line.

Amtrack's current routes are shown here: http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
I think it is a great idea. For trips of this distance rail is airline competitive. It is worth noting that it will also tie in with an upgraded Cincy-Chicago and Cleveland-Chicago system. If gas goes back up to where it was last summer (and at some point it will) we will be thankful we have this system in place.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
I can't answer the question about whether there is enough intercity travel in the state to warrant having an Amtrak connection. I haven't been to the Cleveland area since 1988. Sure, it would be a nice idea to have a line following the I-75 corridor south to Florida. (Of course if they did that, no doubt the actual "Cincinnati" stop would be somewhere in Northern Kentucky, as Cincinnati can't seem to get its act together when it comes to these kinds of things. Amtrak is already saying they don't want to use Union Terminal. I'm being a facetious snot right now.)

My understanding of the new rail line is that it was supposed to be high-speed. But apparently, from what I've read, the Cincinnati/Cleveland connection would take 6 hours...hardly "high speed" when you consider it takes less time to drive between the cities.

So as I see it, an Amtrak connection between the 3 Cs is pretty useless...unless of course, as you've stated, it would be part of a large line that goes all the way down to Florida.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times
Default Getting there is only half the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
My understanding of the new rail line is that it was supposed to be high-speed. But apparently, from what I've read, the Cincinnati/Cleveland connection would take 6 hours...hardly "high speed" when you consider it takes less time to drive between the cities.
Yeah - 6 hours is a bit too long. Does that mean it would take 3 hrs from Cincinnati to Columbus?

These days, I travel quite a bit from Cincinnati to Columbus and I can tell you, I have quite a few companions on the road so from that standpoint, there is a need. BUT what what would people do when they alight from the train? How would one get around his destination city?

When I go to Cols, I may want to take in a game at OSU, take my daughter to supper and go to the Kroger store a couple of miles up high street. If my wife is with me, she may want to visit her aunt north of the city.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
It would be nice if, somehow, NW Ohio could be included in some of this. It currently takes a scheduled 22 hours to get from the Amtrak station 10 miles from our house in NW Ohio to the station in Cincinnati. And that is if things are running on schedule, not likely to happen when the freight trains have priority. The return trip is 25 hours. The only way rail travel will ever catch on is if passenger lines reappear and the freight trains use their own tracks. Then the schedules can be maintained. I would love to take the train to go visit the kids, but I can drive it in under 4 hours. No way am I going to spend 22+ on a train to get the same place.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
If there is all this stimulus money to use for building new rail lines, how much would it cost to build an elevated bullet train such as what they have in Germany and Japan? Why bother with Amtrak? I overheard some tidbit of info tonight on the news about Oxford wanting a stop on the Amtrak route. As much as I like Oxford, that's ridiculous. If all these other little communities in between want stops, it kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,283 times
While the idea is nice, I doubt from an economic standpoint that it is a good use of taxpayer monies. I dont envision people in Cincinnati saying, "Hey, lets hop on a train and go to Cleveland". Most business travelers drive because they need a car once they get to their destination.

This isn't New York where people live 3 hrs away and commute and to me thats the best use of passenger rail services, to service areas with long commutes.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 PM

40 posts, read 133,088 times
I agree with restorationconsultant. I think that it is a great idea, but we need better public transit in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus in order for people to ride a train between the cities. These trains work so great in Europe, because European cities are either walkable and/or have good public transit.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Hopefully, this boondoggle turkey is dead!

Kasich says 3-C plan "dead" if he's governor, as Ohio applies for millions more for train stations - Columbus Government | Examiner.com

Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
even though this would have been federally funded, this will die under Kasich. republicans hate alternative transit.

on a bright note, a few billion has been appropriated to test some high speed rail in the northeast. hopefully we can get in on that some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati