Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,638 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 20's, my boyfriend is in his 30's and we're moving to Cincinnati from Columbus. We want to find a neighborhood where we can walk to bars, health food stores, wine tastings and a farmer's market would be a huge plus! Dog-friendly is also important! We are both liberal, young professionals and would like to be in a neighborhood that is not super conservative with lots of families. However, both of us are used to leaving the door unlocked and having a garage, so I'm not sure how we'd fair moving to OTR. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
You will only be happy in Hyde Park or Mt. Lookout.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM

40 posts, read 133,117 times
Gaslight Clifton. The area around Ludlow Ave. There is actually a great wine shop on Ludlow that has wine tastings all the time. You can get your groceries at IGA on ludlow and there's also an Indian grocery store behind Amol. There's also 2 coffee shops, a neighborhood bar, a gay bar, shops, pharmacy, banks, ice cream shop, bakery, indie theatre, hardware store (soon), hairstylist, etc. all within walking distance!! You really can live in this neighborhood without much need for a car. IGA has a decent amount of health food items, but you might have to go to Clifton Natural foods, which is probably too far to walk, but you could ride a bike there or take one of the many buses that are frequently available on ludlow ave.

Gaslight Clifton is a little expensive, but probably cheaper than the 2 neighborhoods wilson1010 listed. This neighborhood is very safe and lively. Northside is also just down the hill (too far to walk, but a 2 minute drive), offering even more bars, restaurants, a weekly farmers market, etc. Northside is also a great neighborhood, but it's not quite as safe as gaslight Clifton.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose9387 View Post
I'm in my 20's, my boyfriend is in his 30's and we're moving to Cincinnati from Columbus. We want to find a neighborhood where we can walk to bars, health food stores, wine tastings and a farmer's market would be a huge plus! Dog-friendly is also important! We are both liberal, young professionals and would like to be in a neighborhood that is not super conservative with lots of families. However, both of us are used to leaving the door unlocked and having a garage, so I'm not sure how we'd fair moving to OTR. Any advice?
You might want to consider Prospect Hill, the southern portion of Mt. Auburn/

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Working with your criteria I'd go with the gaslight district of Clifton or Hyde Park.
I definitely would not leave my doors unlocked though.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,638 times
Thanks for the advice! I'm coming into town this weekend to look at places and have scheduled some showings in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. We have friends in Prospect Hill. We're going to scope out the area again. I couldn't remember there being very many grocery stores, bars, etc. around it. Also, are there a lot of students in the gaslight district or is it a place YP gravitate towards? And what do you think about Columbia-Tuluscum? (I probably spelled that horribly wrong!)

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Columbia-Tusculum is really the border between Mt. Lookout and East End. Just a real estate agent's ploy to add some sizzle to the steak. Go to Zip's for lunch if you aren't a vegetarian, get a zip burger. Then sit on Hyde Park square and learn the demographics of HP in 30 minutes without lifting a finger. Mt. Lookout is the same. Bar scene? Walk around HP square and check out Arthur's, be sure to sit in the outside garden area and down a Corona, stick your head into Tellers. You can take his parents there when they come for a visit. They will think its cool. If you are around at night, go to Mt. Lookout and check out Million's where 90210 lookalikes get good and drunk, nightly, but rarely misbehave. Look in the window across the street at MLT, but don't go in - haha. Then move here and enjoy yourself.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt Lookout area. If you want to save some money, come to Norwood. You basically get all that Oak-HP-MTL has to offer for half the price. But you have to pick your area more wisely.

G Man

Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Go to Zip's for lunch if you aren't a vegetarian, get a zip burger. Then sit on Hyde Park square and learn the demographics of HP in 30 minutes without lifting a finger. Mt. Lookout is the same. Bar scene? Walk around HP square and check out Arthur's, be sure to sit in the outside garden area and down a Corona, stick your head into Tellers. You can take his parents there when they come for a visit. They will think its cool. If you are around at night, go to Mt. Lookout and check out Million's where 90210 lookalikes get good and drunk, nightly, but rarely misbehave. Look in the window across the street at MLT, but don't go in - haha. Then move here and enjoy yourself.
I agree with all of the above, but I'd like to add that while you're walking around Hyde Park Square drop in Graeter's and get yourself an ice cream cone.
Graeter's ice cream is a real Cincinnati treat. Our city has lots of fine things to offer. Best wishes.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,008 times
Oakley sounds more like your taste. Stay away from the burbs of Northern Concy. they are soul-crushing. Hyde Park is nice. Nice and expensive. Mt Lookout and Oakley are your best bets. But always check out Mt. Adams. Cool geography and bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati