Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 18,921 times

Advertisements

I am in the Army and I am relocating to the Cincy area (Sharonville for work). I was hoping to get some advice on where to settle...
Late 20's early 30's with kids and middle class tastes. I have been smashing through Craigslist looking for something in Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley, Mt. Adams, Clifton, Montgomery, Blue Ash, Mason, Loveland, and Prospect Hill. Looking for a 3(+) bedroom (with a small dog) for 600-1100. not much out there. Am I even looking in the right places? HELP!!!???
-Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

303 posts, read 917,490 times
Dear Jim,

"Middle-class tastes" can cover a broad swath, so more specificity might be in order. For example, how much commute time can you choke down? Will your children be in public or private school? Do you want a Wal-Mart within two miles or would you rather walk to a locally-owned restaurant?

The neighborhoods you list are all great neighborhoods, but they have their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, I lived in Hyde Park for many years and it has one of the few non-magnet good elementary schools in the Cincinnati School District (Kilgour), which makes it appealing. It also is one of the more walkable areas with a great sense of neighborhood, two big parks, lots of joggers and dogs out, etc. However, it would be very hard to meet your budget for a three-bedroom in Hyde Park, and you'd have what is by Cincinnati standards a very long commute. Mt. Lookout is Hyde Park's sister, so all of the above applies to that area, too, except that it is further from I-71 so your commute would be longer.

Oakley is still "up and coming" enough that rents will be somewhat more affordable, and it is a very nice place. Commute will be just as long as Hyde Park and perhaps longer, depending on how close you are to the highway. Schools are not as good as Kilgour, though if you're interested in Catholic, St. Cecelia's is right there.

All the above neighborhoods are mostly detached houses around 100 years old, and most (not all) "apartments" will be houses that have been divided up, some more elegantly than others.

Clifton is my personal mecca, having a very liberal atmosphere, great main street with a real movie theatre, and fabulous restaurants. We didn't move there because there weren't any playgrounds and not enough kids. Public schools are not appealing unless you get into a magnet (the local one is Fairview German, which is an immersion program.) Clifton has lots of apartment rentals because of the college nearby, but that may not be the type of rental you want. Commute perhaps not as bad to Sharonville as you're already on the west side of town, but highway access is not quite as immediate as in Hyde Park.

Montgomery and Blue Ash are more recently developed suburbs that are close to each other, close to Sharonville, and have a very good public school system (Sycamore). They're a little bland for my taste but not as bland as Mason. Mason is, with very few exceptions, all new McMansion developments, more politically conservative, and probably out of your price range. Its school system is well-considered but I don't know more than that. Lots and lots of kids in all three places.

I don't know enough about Loveland to comment, and don't know anything about Prospect Hill.

Depending on your personal tastes, I'd shoot for something in the Sycamore school district. Another good option would be Evendale. If not much comes up on Craigslist, try the local newspaper's web site - enquirer.com.

Feel free to post back with specific questions - I'll do my best to answer.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM

303 posts, read 917,490 times
I forgot to say - Mt. Adams is a cool neighborhood near downtown, but probably not what you're looking for. It's mostly very well-dressed and well-paid singles in their 20's and 30's, not many kids, and very expensive. Also not close to Sharonville.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,145,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandheather View Post
I am in the Army and I am relocating to the Cincy area (Sharonville for work). I was hoping to get some advice on where to settle...
Late 20's early 30's with kids and middle class tastes. I have been smashing through Craigslist looking for something in Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley, Mt. Adams, Clifton, Montgomery, Blue Ash, Mason, Loveland, and Prospect Hill. Looking for a 3(+) bedroom (with a small dog) for 600-1100. not much out there. Am I even looking in the right places? HELP!!!???
-Jim
Those are all decent areas, although as a general rule I would advise against going into the Cincinnati Public School system if you can avoid it....which would mean Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley, Clifton, Mt. Adams and Prospect Hill are out of the picture. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? If you're wanting to rent a house, I highly doubt you'll find anything in that price range in Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Mason or Montgomery...and certainly not Mt. Adams. Mt. Adams is expensive, period.

We really need more criteria from you before we can give a good recommendation. What do you want in the way of schools, parks, commute time, general ambience, amenities, etc....?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 AM

254 posts, read 982,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandheather View Post
-Jim
I am not sure how old your kids are but you should try Evendale or Sharonville, Princeton schools are decent especially for elementary ages. You should also search the classifieds at cincinnati.com for rentals.

Personally I am in Sycamore schools(blue ash, montgomery area) which is one of the best districts in the city. I can point you to some rentals in the
area. sycamore creek apts 3 bd room 1000/mo, walnut creek townhomes as well also in bluie ash.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:59 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
I would look in the Sycamore School District as well. There are places in your price range and the area is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati