U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 48,997 times

Advertisements

We moved to Bloomington, IN from Seattle at the end of last summer. We are trying to find out what there is to do on the 4th of July. Where in the midwest can we go for the best 4th of July celebration? Who has the best fireworks out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,579,354 times
This is the Cincinnati forum.....in Ohio.....

....or were you specifically looking for places within a few hours' drive of Bloomington?

The Cincinnati area generally has individual displays held in various smaller communities around the area instead of a huge one downtown. Near as I can tell, there will be a fireworks display at Coney Island on July 3rd.

Hamilton has a festival and huge parade on July 4th, culminating in a fireworks display over the Miami River later that night.

Cincinnati's major fireworks display takes place on Labor Day weekend, so you might want to check out Columbus (Ohio) instead. I know they have "Red, White and Boom".

Last edited by aquila; 05-25-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 48,997 times
thanks aquila. I've asked this question here and a few other places because I'm looking for the best fireworks display in the whole midwest. Thanks for the info on the Cincy area.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Assuming a legitimate display with 5" shells, to me, the "best" fireworks display depends one one thing: how close can you get to the fireworks. If you are right under a shell, you have a different experience than when you are viewing at a distance. The low frequency shock waves and the illumination against a night sky are why I look for. So, sometimes smaller is better.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,502,361 times
If you really like fireworks though, Cincinnati puts on one of the best shows in the nation when it comes time for the Tall Stacks festival.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jmac View Post
thanks aquila. I've asked this question here and a few other places because I'm looking for the best fireworks display in the whole midwest. Thanks for the info on the Cincy area.
No problem. And thanks for clarifying...you did say "midwest" in your OP. I don't think I was thinking very clearly yesterday. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
If you really like fireworks though, Cincinnati puts on one of the best shows in the nation when it comes time for the Tall Stacks festival.
Yeah, but it doesn't look like there will be one this year, and maybe not next year either. Besides, that's in October.

Actually, Louisville has the largest fireworks display in the country, as well as the best (just one more big thing Louisville has learned to do better than some "other places in the region" to gain positive national attention) - Thunder Over Louisville - but it's held in the Spring around the time of the Kentucky Derby.

Strange how there really aren't many major fireworks displays around the 4th of July.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,502,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Yeah, but it doesn't look like there will be one this year, and maybe not next year either. Besides, that's in October.

Actually, Louisville has the largest fireworks display in the country, as well as the best (just one more big thing Louisville has learned to do better than some "other places in the region" to gain positive national attention) - Thunder Over Louisville - but it's held in the Spring around the time of the Kentucky Derby.

Strange how there really aren't many major fireworks displays around the 4th of July.

Ya, but Cincinnati is a bigger, more powerful city with a much more diverse economy.

Cincinnati also has many more amazing city districts than Louisville, Cincinnati is seeing more development than Louisville, and Cincinnati has density in its skyline. Louisville is flooded with parking lots.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Ya, but Cincinnati is a bigger, more powerful city with a much more diverse economy.

Cincinnati also has many more amazing city districts than Louisville, Cincinnati is seeing more development than Louisville, and Cincinnati has density in its skyline. Louisville is flooded with parking lots.
I'm not disagreeing with that stuff, but it seems like Cincinnati needs to step it up and get a seriously large event...the "largest of its kind in the country"...that puts the national spotlight on us for a day, just like the Kentucky Derby/Thunder Over Louisville weekend, and Indianapolis' Indy 500. Somehow Tall Stacks doesn't cut it, and I don't see any major celebrities coming to Cincinnati for Oktoberfest or Riverfest.

Just jealous, I guess.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,181 times
Me and my wife just moved here a month ago. are there any festivals on the fourth of july worth going to. and where are the best communities to see a firework display?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati