Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 51,107 times

Advertisements

Hi all...I am thinking of buying a nice old house in Franklin Oh. It's in a nice historic neighborhood on the river. It's close to the 75 and so it's an easy commute to Dayton or a little further down to Cincy. My question is - what's a good paper or source of job openings? I'm in accounting and payroll - also human resources. We fell in love with this house and with Franklin, Springboro and even Middletown. It's a nice area, country-wise, and in spite of some run down areas, it was very welcoming and "homey" feeling. So...any advice on the "job hunt" search would be welcome. I'd appreciate any super negative commentary be kept to a minimum. All towns and areas have problems, and politics etc. I'm really only interested in where I can possibly locate a decent source of job openings, tips or leads. I can use a combo of agencies, newpapers, etc. Also my husband is a musician and would probably be looking for gigs etc closer to Columbus. Any thoughts for his search also would be very welcome. Thanks all! I really want to become an Ohio resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
The "gold standard" for finding professional jobs is the web site Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed. It scrapes from many sources and is pretty impartial. You can search for specific disciplines by keyword and restrict the search to radius around a given zip code.

A commute to Columbus from that general area will be tedious. An alternate route to the I-75-675 corridor is to take Rt 73 east to the junction of I-71, and take 71 into Columbus. For spots on the south end of Columbus this can feel faster than 675. And is less stressful.

I'm not going to be negative but please allow me to point one important fact out. I assume that you have driven around and you have gotten an accurate flavor of Franklin and the neighboring towns. There are very few "urban pioneers" that live in any of the cities you listed. I don't think I have ever heard of an incipient urban pioneer movement in any place in Warren or northern Butler county.

By urban pioneer I mean smart professional types who choose to live in a given older neighborhood out of a sense of preservation and respect for the past and the architecture.

This is an incredibly blue collar slice of the area.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 05-29-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-moving View Post
Hi all...I am thinking of buying a nice old house in Franklin Oh. It's in a nice historic neighborhood on the river. It's close to the 75 and so it's an easy commute to Dayton or a little further down to Cincy. My question is - what's a good paper or source of job openings? I'm in accounting and payroll - also human resources. We fell in love with this house and with Franklin, Springboro and even Middletown. It's a nice area, country-wise, and in spite of some run down areas, it was very welcoming and "homey" feeling. So...any advice on the "job hunt" search would be welcome. I'd appreciate any super negative commentary be kept to a minimum. All towns and areas have problems, and politics etc. I'm really only interested in where I can possibly locate a decent source of job openings, tips or leads. I can use a combo of agencies, newpapers, etc. Also my husband is a musician and would probably be looking for gigs etc closer to Columbus. Any thoughts for his search also would be very welcome. Thanks all! I really want to become an Ohio resident.
Well, the only thing super negative I'll say is that you might be picking the wrong time to move here, given the nature of the job market. The Middletown area isn't exactly a job-searcher's haven. So your best bet would be to look down toward the Cincinnati area, as even Dayton presents some obstacles. Not too sure if the Enquirer would have much in the way of job ads. They utilize Careerbuilder in that respect.

Your best bet would be to go to a staffing agency, particularly one geared toward accounting jobs...such as Randstad, or Accounttemps - although that's basically for temp jobs. But they could probably find something that leads to full time, permanent for you. Just bear in mind, the commute from Franklin won't be fun. But hey, I don't dog you for finding the area attractive. Franklin's okay, and Springboro is nice.

You might also look into the area hospitals, even though that's the medical field. But surely they hire for accounting positions, too....and it's a growing field in the area.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Eeesh...I screwed up typing my link for the Cincinnati paper. Will try again here since I'm past my 90 minute limit for editing my post. It should be... Enquirer.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Okay, apparently NONE of my links are working properly. Is something messed up with City-Data today, because I've never had so much trouble posting links in the past.

Careerbuilder.com

Accounttemps.com

randstad.com

Old 05-29-2009, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 51,107 times
Hi again. I really appreciate these answers / info. Thanks 'Aquila' for your posts and suggestions - very much appreciated. I will check them out; hospitals have been mentioned a couple of times by some people I met from the area. (And p.s. I have trouble with the Internet anytime I want it to work properly, so it's OK about your links! LOL...) On the "commute from Franklin" not being much fun, do you mean to Cincinnati (or where?) Just curious. The drive to Cincy didn't seem that bad, but then I wasn't trying to get to work on time - I was driving at my own pace in a relaxed, vacation sort of way

Also, thank you 'Ohian58'. I'm not sure exactly what an "urban pioneer" is as I've never heard that expression...LOL...doesn't sound like something I'd want to be! I have travelled around the Franklin / Springboro area quite a bit, just recently, and was quite taken with it, "blue collars" and all. I currently live in a very rundown, 'blue collar', dirty, overcrowded, overpriced, rather miserable place in Southern California called Sunland - known for the last 20 years for bikers and meth, mostly - and the homeless people in the park. Franklin, in comparison to my town, seemed like Beverly Hills and Springboro was like Bel Aire! Poor old Middletown has seen better days, but her regular neighborhoods were still very pretty and they seemed to be trying at least - the old hotel dining room in downtown being renovated and the murals and all. The closed down factories were disturbing, but even they were picturesque in a grim, gaunt, photo journalistic sort of way...but I suppose it's not very picturesque if they were your place of work, however. More like devastating probably. I work in printing (literally 'blue collar'!) and I've heard of the Sorg Paper Mill, albeit some time ago.

Eating at local bars and restaurants in downtown Franklin (The Relik bar and the nice little restaurant next door, for example - I recommend them both!) gave us quite a vision of the townfolk coming and going, both at breakfast and at dinner. We were warned against some of the other local watering holes (bars), as they were a little "rough". (Try an L.A. biker bar!) We found the people we met there in Franklin and in Springboro to be very friendly and helpful, and very interested and curious about our desire to move there, since our desire is to find a long term "home". We are looking for a town where we can put down roots and become a part of the community - possibly join the historical society, etc. Also, checking out the local markets and spending an afternoon at the very nice little library in Franklin gave us an idea of what life could be like, or at least what we hope it could be like.

Columbus would certainly be a terribly long commute but my husband would be looking for music venues, so once or twice a month would be do-able. I'll investigate the online source you mentioned for job postings, though I know that here in Los Angeles, those sites are mostly a waste of time, sadly, with hundreds of people resonding to a single outdated ad. But maybe in Ohio it's different. I am hopeful. Cincinnati or Dayton (perhaps) would be my obvious target areas.

Again, thank you so much for responding everybody. Hopefully, I may get some more input down the road.

Have a terrific weekend

Old 05-30-2009, 07:57 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
You might consider the military. Wright-Patterson AFB is hiring. Here is a start: Employment Opportunities
You might qualify for some of the jobs there. It would be a longer commute, but not as far as Columbus. I know people commute from Springboro to Wright-Patterson, so a commute from Franklin would be do-able.

You made a good choice. Franklin, the older section along the river, is great. One of nicer riverfront areas along the Great Miami. An interesting place is, or used to be, Lakes Jewlers downtown, as they sold music too, old bluegrass and country music.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
Quote:
Also my husband is a musician and would probably be looking for gigs etc closer to Columbus.
You don't have to go that far, since the Cincy/Dayton area has a pretty good live music scene.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Cali-Moving: so you are in LA now and planning a move to Ohio? Your questions imply that you haven't lived in the midwest or in Ohio before this.

It's really interesting, because a generation ago, every young person who wanted to move out of Ohio (including me) wanted to go to California. I grew up in Dayton and the first job I took out of college was in Silicon Valley. I moved back after a couple of years because the area just seemed so damned alien to me. I just didn't think I fit in out there.

One thing I'm going to say is that the local culture is entirely different than what you're used to. California is blue and Ohio is medium to deep red.

Another thing is that I find that when I vacation in or visit an area temporarily I usually just see the positives. Like the Bay Area. Once I moved there I experienced things that indicated that for every positive there was usually a deep negative (for me).

I'm just going to tell you that Ohio is, in many ways, the polar opposite of what you're used to.

To me the biggest social difference between Ohio and California is that average people in California are (or were, when I lived there) optimistic and hopeful and open to change. Those qualities are pretty much reversed in Ohio - and one visit won't reveal the difference to a visitor. The Cincinnati - Dayton region is the apex of people "stuck in a rut". Of course, people act less "entitled" and spoiled in Ohio than California, but that's because people here work their asses off and don't seem to get very far. (Not only due to the current economy but in a long term economic sense.)

In general, California is where trends start and where everything happens first. At least that was true in the microelectronics industry. Ohio hasn't been a leader in much of anything since the mid 1900s, when it was the leader in industrialization.

And if this move is partly based on the economy now, I'll say this. The "hiring" economy in Ohio has not been healthy for two generations. Not since the 60s. Since then it has been a struggle for many types of white and blue collar workers to find a decent job here. Even during the last economic boom, employers here were damned picky. When the economy improves, it will probably improve the most and first in California.

I have a colleague who is a web designer in Visalia, California and he's explained that the central valley in CA is exactly like the midwest - Bible Belt culture and socially and politically. So there's my comparison for you: if you could see yourself moving to the central valley, then this may be a good move for you.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-moving View Post
Hi again. I really appreciate these answers / info. Thanks 'Aquila' for your posts and suggestions - very much appreciated. I will check them out; hospitals have been mentioned a couple of times by some people I met from the area. (And p.s. I have trouble with the Internet anytime I want it to work properly, so it's OK about your links! LOL...) On the "commute from Franklin" not being much fun, do you mean to Cincinnati (or where?) Just curious. The drive to Cincy didn't seem that bad, but then I wasn't trying to get to work on time - I was driving at my own pace in a relaxed, vacation sort of way
Okay, obviously since you are coming from the San Fernando valley, traffic here will be a piece of cake. For those of us who live in the area, it can grate on our nerves at times. Maybe we're spoiled...? I-75 in rush hour can be rather slow, and the roads in the area are somewhat narrow and not built to sustain the capacity they see. They are working on improving that, however. Anyway, since the traffic issue is seemingly no big deal for you, then I would definitely tell you to check out Cincinnati for job opportunities, because there will simply be more available down there by virtue of the city's size compared to Dayton.

As for finding a job, your best bet is to use different methods and resources such as the job search websites, newspapers, and agencies - but also just "get out" and knock on doors, so to speak. You can check here to find a listing for different newspaper websites in the area. Along with that, simply go to different places around the area and ask if they are hiring. At the very least, you have some major hospitals in the area between Cincinnati and Dayton, such as Atrium and West Chester Medical Center. Plus, there are a lot of distribution centers and office complexes in the northern Cincinnati suburbs.

I hope you'll find Ohio to be a comfortable new place to call home. Some of us who have lived here our whole lives would like to get away and explore new areas ourselves, so I know how you feel. All in all, though, I'd say you'll be moving to a place that is very accepting and friendly for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati