Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Aquila, Our neighbors around the block from us have chickens. To a city boy like me thats pretty rural. We routinely have racoons, rabbits, and deer wander down the street in the early morning. I wouldn't say we are exactly the definition of an urban area, even though we are in the city. It is very low density over here and we are surrounded by woods and open space.
Well, sure....but you can see deer in Mt. Airy, or raccoons in the middle of Oakley and Eden Park, or rabbits in the backyards of homes in Clifton. That doesn't mean those are "rural" areas. I'd venture a guess you could find chickens being raised somewhere in College Hill....still, that doesn't define "rural". My house in Delhi was on a 1.5 acre lot, with woods in the backyard. But it wasn't "rural".

All I was pointing out was that, for most people, "rural" implies "country" and "farms"...not low density suburban areas.

And besides, the OP has since stated she would be willing to consider a suburban area so long as she has some space between her and the neighbors. So I posted my response to you before she said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 42,518 times
I've heard alot about the east side of the city being more liberal. Does that apply to the areas further out as well like Batavia?

Are there any areas to the east that are affordable and safe?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrynthlily View Post
I've heard alot about the east side of the city being more liberal. Does that apply to the areas further out as well like Batavia?

Are there any areas to the east that are affordable and safe?
If I had to guess, I'd say Clermont county is probably not considered "liberal" - but then again, as I said above, I'm not as familiar with the socio-political climate east of I-275. It seems a bit "Bible belt-ish" to me...not that I'm saying that in a negative way, since I'm a Christian. Just expressing it as an observation. Clermont county voted red in last year's election, if that is any indicator. But then, so did Butler county and it's pretty accepting up here.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Well, once again we struggle with stereotypes and labels. When asked for a "liberal" neighborhood, folks immediately look to red or blue, GOP or Democrat. On this basis, a really liberal neighborhood would be the West End where the population votes almost 100% Democrat. But, guess what? Urban blacks are the least of all demographic groups to be tolerant of homosexuality.

No, when a lesbian couple seeks a "liberal" neighborhood, what they really want is "tolerant." A place where the kids will not be ridiculed by other kids for having two "mommies." Where, they will be welcome in the block watch meeting, or not be excluded from the usual block activities because of their sexual orientation. That is not liberal, it is tolerant.

Mt. Lookout and Hype Park are the most tolerant neighborhoods and the most likely to accept alternative lifestyles. Just sit on HP Square for an hour and check out the people. You will see every combination of young and old, black, brown, white and Asian, and all sexual orientations. And, I've never heard of any incident of prejudice or bigotry in the 50 or so years I've lived here.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 77,362 times
Yes, but Mt. Lookout and Hyde Park are also two of the most expensive neighborhoods in Cincinnati - for that matter, in Hamilton County. It sounds like the OP is wanting something under $75k, and there is nothing in either neighborhood even close to that range.

If you get east of the 275 belt, you can generally find cheaper properties. Or check out neighborhoods within Cincinnati, like Madisonville. I live there, and have never felt unsafe and it's an extremely diverse neighborhood.

The fact is - your budget is going to limit the places you can buy. If you want diversity and a guarantee of accommodation, you'd be better off sticking within the city limits. Otherwise, head out to the rural areas on the north, east or west, but you will find more conservative attitudes there generally.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Wilson1010, read the OP again. I'm not disagreeing with what you said regarding the difference between being "liberal" and "tolerant", but usually when you hear that someone is laid back, eco-friendly, and open-minded - and expresses mild concern about Cincinnati's "conservative" reputation - it generally means they are liberal, and more interested in finding a liberal environment, not simply one that is tolerant.

And I agree with WhereForARt...Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout are simply FAR too expensive.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Wilson1010, read the OP again. I'm not disagreeing with what you said regarding the difference between being "liberal" and "tolerant", but usually when you hear that someone is laid back, eco-friendly, and open-minded - and expresses mild concern about Cincinnati's "conservative" reputation - it generally means they are liberal, and more interested in finding a liberal environment, not simply one that is tolerant. . . .
You are right about the broader picture of "liberalism." But, I would take issue with the eco-friendly part. I would bet that West Chester (not known as the bosom of liberalism ) has more recycling bins and hybrid vehicles per capita than Northside, Clifton, etc. Same for Mt. Lookout!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Actually, I've never seen any recycling bins around West Chester. I certainly don't have them available to me in my neighborhood. I know for a fact that Oxford has them. And I see more SUVs around here than anything....which, granted, honks me off. (No pun intended.)

West Chester may be more red than blue, but it's still open and accepting enough that a lesbian couple could feel comfortable in the area. I really don't think there are too many liberal areas around Cincinnati that are going to give the OP all that she's seeking....cheap, eco-friendly, rural. I simply think when it comes to Butler as opposed to Clermont county, Butler county would be the better choice. But as I've said, I'm just basing that on my own observation of what Clermont county seems to be like.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Oh, do you have private trash pick up up there? Geez, you gotta figure out how to recycle everything.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
Why do people think Conservatives are closed minded, hate minorities and gays and want to destroy the environment??????????????????????

I never could figure that one out. I like to think of myself as an Anarcho-Capitalist, which is neither lib or conservative, and I think it is funny how libs are always painting conservatives.

It is obvious to any objective bystander that libs are by far the least tolerant of any group and don't give a rat's ass about blacks or gays or the envoronment. Conservatives only dislike foreigners. Libs hate everyone.

Never mind the fact that libs are retarded when it comes to economic issues. Unless you like everyone being poor.

If your going to have a government then conservatism ideas are clearly superior to anything the libs came up with.

I'm not trying to start an argument here. But it is little (lot) ridiculous how the "enlightened" libs try and pretend to be.

If I were gay I would much prefer to live in a "conservative" neighborhood. It's a no-brainer.

Last edited by NorthPoleMarathoner; 06-04-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati