U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,745 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my family and I are visiting Cincy on the weekend of June 12-14th. What are some attractions to hit up? Among the 5 of us, we have a broad range of interests, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM

40 posts, read 115,328 times
What's the age range of your family? What kind of things are you into (sports, music, theater, nature etc)? Have you been to Cincinnati before? To be honest, Cincinnati is not much of a tourist city so the typical touristy activities aren't cheapened by over-marketing, exploitation and such. That being said, you should definitely go to fountain square to see an event (Fountain Square :: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) or to just eat some graeter's ice cream and people watch.

You have to eat skyline while your here. I suggest you go to the skyline on Ludlow ave. for the most authentic experience, then take a stroll down Ludlow and look at the shops or beautiful big old houses down one of the side streets. There's also a lot of other really good resaurants on this street, so you can get ideas for your next meal.

Cincinnati is also has many hills and many beautiful views. I suggest going to Eden Park in Mt. Adams and get a good view of the city. While your there you can go to the Art Museum.

honestly they have a lot of information on this website:
Plan for More in Cincinnati USA | CincyUSA.com | Cincinnati USA Convention and Visitors Bureau

And right across the river there are 2 cool cities that are definitely worth checking out. Both Covington and Newport also have great views of Cincinnati:
Newport on the Levee
MainStrasse Village Association

Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM

69 posts, read 171,512 times
Here's a few things I like to do in the city:

Visit the "painted ladies" Victorian houses on Sachem Ave - its a steep road overlooking the river.

Picnic in Alms Park overlooking Lunken Field (airport).

Visit Immaculata Church in Mt. Adams for the views, and walk around Mt. Adams.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:19 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,581,598 times
Are you wanting to strictly visit Cincinnati itself, or are you open to things in the metro area...for example, in the suburban/outlying areas?

I'd say you should check out Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, as well as Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park in Hamilton, and also

Also, maybe check out Anderson Ferry for an old-fashioned ride on a historic ferry across the Ohio River to Kentucky.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 AM

363 posts, read 833,018 times
If you're into parks and nature, may I suggest a visit to Winton Woods? I love that park.

http://www.greatparks.org/parks/wintonwoods.htm

Or you can go to Devou Park in Covington, Ky. The park offers a BEAUTIFUL skyline view of Cincinnati. Take I-75 South into Kentucky to Exit 192 (Stay right on the ramp to Crescent Avenue) then make the right onto Crescent. Then make a SHARP left onto Western Avenue. Drive a short ways and you should see entrance signs and the like.

I'm a park guy, what can I say? :-P

Last edited by badguykc; 06-07-2009 at 04:34 AM..

Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,908,656 times
Some more thoughts:
- Dixie Chili, with locations in Newport (the original), Covington and Erlanger
- Historic Downtown Bellevue, KY
- Licking Riverside, Covington, quite possibly my favorite neighborhood in all of Northern Kentucky
- Findlay Market, Over-the-Rhine
- Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Norwood
- Cincinnati Observatory, Observatory Ave.
- Ault Park, end of Observatory Ave.
- Mt. Airy Park

I'm sure I'll find more as I explore Greater Cincinnati.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM

363 posts, read 833,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescent View Post
That being said, you should definitely go to fountain square to see an event (Fountain Square :: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) or to just eat some graeter's ice cream and people watch.

I second this recommendation as well. Fountain Square is a great place.

If I'm not mistaken, Fountain Square also has a Summer Concert Series going on with concerts just about every night of the week. Hopefully someone can confirm or correct this for me.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM

400 posts, read 936,314 times
Default old thread, i know

I found this old thread and have some additions:

The American Sign Museum
American Sign Museum

Stricker's Grove
Stricker's Grove
Nothing like heading north on Hwy. 128 and thinking you're going to drive up the rollercoaster tracks!

Minges Farms
Minges Pumpkin Festival

All those free national concerts I mentioned in another thread
Is there more to do this summer?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Heres what I did last time I visited Cincy:

Checked out some St. Patricks day festivities on fountain square. Ate some skyline chili and graeters ice cream that night. Check out the festival festivals. Cincinnati has some great festivals.

The next day, I wanted to get some exercise. The hilly terrain, includes numerous forested parks. Check out the trails in Mt. Airy, its pretty cool to have those woods right in the city like that.

Check out the southern edge, revitalizing edge of Over-the-Rhine. If you can, I would check into performances at Music Hall. (I think it will be closed for renovations, so if you like classical music, I would do that quickly) Music Hall is one of the largest and oldest performance halls in the country. The music heritage is very rich.

Check out the Riverfront, a lot of nice parks, the ballpark is great (check out the Reds hall of fame) and eat some barbecue at the Montgomery Inn boathouse. Then consider having a drink or two at the lounge at the Cincinnatian to get a taste of the very posh side of Cincinnati.

Thats what I did last time I was there.

Next time, I really want to explore Mt. Adams, maybe I'll visit the Taft art museum nearby. And maybe actually see a concert at Music Hall.

Also, you might want to register with the Procter and Gamble consumer village, you might be able to take part in some surveys while you are there. They will give you some monetary compensation for taking part, which can offset some of your travel expense. I just registered. Where I can make the 5 hour drive for a couple day trip there.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

477 posts, read 530,298 times
These guys are kind of touristy, but the tour is amazing, they take you into Beer tunnels beneath the city in OTR (highly recommended): Queen City | American Legacy Tours

Architreks - Any neighborhood will do (though OTR and Mt Adams are the best), Cincy's got some of the finest Victorian Architecture in the country: http://www.cincinnati-walks.org/

Also I'd drive, not walk past Dayton Street in the west end. Its incredible and an under-appreciated treasure that rivals mansions in similar districts (mostly long gone) in New York and Chicago: Cincinnati Dayton St. West End - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11236515@N05/sets/72157618123919235/ - broken link) - sadly the neighborhood is pretty rough so I figured I'd warn you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati