Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,937 times

Advertisements

Aquila , you can't give up. thats the point. I worked in neighborhood much worse than anything Cincinnati has. Indy had gangs, real gangs, 15 years ago. I turned around neighborhoods that people thought I was crazy to go into. I bought a house back in 89 where someone was killed two days earlier. I paid 5 grand for that house. Today it would cost you 400K. I've set up crime watch programs, started neighborhood associations . It does work.

Since we started working over in our neighborhood Knox Hill in Fairmount, 2 drug dealers and a sex offender left the neighborhood. We set up a neighborhood association, a community website, a crimewatch. Six more people have bought houses and started restoration and we have 1.2 million dollars of investment happening in a neighborhood frankly the city of Cincinnati is trying to systematically bulldoze. Because they are part of that failed urban renewal model "Blight=bulldozer".

I have accomplished more in a few months in that neighborhood than the city has in 20 years.

You just have to plug away at it. But if one depends on the city to do it for you, well , you may wait a looong time! I think Westwood residents are tired of waiting.

Do you know a group of Westwood residents , frustrated with the city not boarding up a empty drug house on Harrison that had all sorts of activity actually boarded it themselves? You know what the city did? They sent squadcars, several in fact.

Personally I don't blame Westwood residents for the way they feel. It is totally justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,696,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
I agree that it would be a battle, but it depends on how much the community wants it and what they are willing to go through to get there. Just because the City would say no, it can still be fought.
No, it can't be fought if the city doesn't want the separation to happen ... that's just the way it is.

Some of you mention that this would help Cincinnati statistically ...

This is interesting to check out:

District 3 (westside) does carry a lot of the burden ...

28.1% of the City's Part 1 crimes
25.3% of the City's Murders
27.1% of the City's Rapes
23.4% of the City's Robberies
25.4% of the City's Agg Assult
35.8% of the City's Burglaries

27.4% of the City's "calls for service" come from District 3.

Westwood alone:

20,484 (calls for service) 2,364 (Pt. 1 Crime) 4 (Murder) 24 (Rape) 157 (Robbery) 55 (Agg Assult) 623 (Burlary) 1,308 (Larceny) 193 (Auto Theft)

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...e_pdf32699.pdf

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM

For the record, I am a Cincinnatian first, Ohioan second.

I think it's a damn shame that these people with the current stats and trend they are going in are wanting to secede.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Believe it or not, I COMPLETELY agree with you. The city's image is its own fault. And yes, it DOES have potential. But in the nearly 44 years I've lived here, I've seen it consistently WASTE that potential - to the point where I finally gave up and I'm no longer impressed by anything it does.

*coming from someone that resides in West Chester*

What the past city government has done has NOTHING to do with what's happening now. I always do this (I'm in sales) ... I try to compare myself to my past ... it doesn't mean anything nor does it have anything to do with my achievements in the present.

Our mayor has balls and he gets ***** done.

By the way, Louisville is on the right track, but it still hasn't caught up to Cincinnati when it was in its prime yet.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM

If you were to trend Westwood Crime by address, probably 90 percent of it would be rental addresses. There are other areas of Westwood that are totally crime free. If you actually drive around Westwood as I have, The vast majority of it is overwhelmingly stable and crime free. There are major problems along the southern end of Harrison before you reach Fairmount Neighborhood and a few of the streets that bisect it. You have homes on the northern end of Harrison in the 175-350K range. You actually have some architectural Masterpieces in Westwood that rival any area in Cincinnati.

Most of the problem lies with a some apartment buildings and illegally converted single family houses. IF, the city actually worked with Westwood , did their job cleared out the illegal conversions that have NEVER pulled a building Permit. Enforced the codes that are on the books 2/3 rd of the problem wouldn't be there. BUT they do not do that.

Therein lies the problem, people pay taxes they expect results. Westwood isn't getting results. It probably sounds like "not in my back yard", BUT if Westwood had its own zoning plan and tougher requirements, Maybe a certificate of occupanncy ordiance for rentals, Historic Districts, maybe even Preservation districts, the problem would go away. Do you think the City of Cincinnati wants that to happen and that problem moving elsewhere? NO They MOVED the problem to the west side when they cleared out OTR and West End.

The problem is they have decimated the tax base because everyone is leaving the city proper and Cincinnati is "investor heaven" for get rich quick, out of state investors who know the city wont do anything. In fact there are websites for investors that state Cincinnati is an easy city to rent in because they are so lax, how to get around the VBML's, how to avoid condemn orders by switching properties to other holding companies.

There is no enforcement!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times
Westwood has an enormous surplus of housing in a shrinking market. Hence a reduction in the apparent desirability of the demographic makeup of new residents. One of my employees recently sold her deceased parents' beautiful home in one of the nicest sections of Westwood for about what they had paid for it in 1979. And, the buyer was on public assistance which counted in her subprime loan approval, she paid no closing costs and paid no money down. I'm sure the neighbors feel their street has gone down hill. But, from the buyer's standpoint, she must think she has moved up and for her, that's a good thing. Westwood is the epicenter of fear driven bigotry in Cincinnati. The only reason they would like to separate themselves from Cincinnati is to try to stop an economic phenomenon that can't be stopped.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Wilson I am seeing an awful lot of restoration work and improvement going on in Westwood. My plate is pretty full with clients and my own projects right now but I get inquiries from people in Westwood frequently for consulting and these are people putting major bucks into historic restorations. Ever try to go to the Home Depot on a weekend? Its packed.

Perhaps because I am not "from here" I see things with a clearer perspective and without the prejudgements that many do. If Westwood gets better organized and promotes itself on a statewide and regional level, it could accomplish remarkable things. The city of Cincinnati is, in effect, "holding back' the neighborhood.

As for the 'economic phenomenon" Code work for black, many who live in Westwood are Black and upper middle class and are just as offended by the problems brought forth by renters who cause that majority of crime in the district.

I don't see the "bigotry". I just see people wanting everyone to act in a civilized, respectfull manner. Personally, I take the position if you do not want to behave , GET OUT! and I dont care what color you are. If you deal drugs, engage in prositution,a thief, a gangbanger, get out of my neighborhood and I would use whatever legal means at my disposal to accomplish that. People who break the law need to go, plain and simple and that applies to landlords who break the law. Who do substandard work without permits, convert houses to multifamily illegally. The problem is the city isn't doing its job!

If you REALLY want Cincinnati toi thrive? Pay the city council what other cities do for part time council people 20 grand a year and take the 42,000 you would save from that reduction from each council member ( who currently get paid 62K a year) and HIRE more building inspectors. Cities 2-3 time the size of Cincinnati have part time council people. Being a council person is NOT a Full Time Job which is why the council people often have full time jobs as well.

Bet a lot of people on the council wouldn't run if they only made 20K for the part time job it is? But I bet the peopl who did run really would be there for all the right reasons.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

307 posts, read 541,097 times
how much can a city do if a property is illegally converted, or in regards to permits not being pulled? Do you take away someones houses because they finished there basement without pulling permits? If such a staunch permitting system was enacted I think you'd run the risk of homeowners becoming leary of starting a rehab and investors leaving properties to rot rather than deal with the red tape.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM

If work is done without permits the city can order a property vacant until it is in complience. They can require a VBML (Vacant Building Maintence Permit) cost 900 a year. They can require proper permits be pulled, the property inspected. they acn Board a dangerous property and **** lien against the property.

If the property owner will not comply they can issue a condemn order and cut the utilities. At the end of the day it is about the safety of the tenants. No one should live in some of the stuff on the rental market riight now. If you want to see HOW BAD it is, go on Craigslist or take a drive up Harrison and respond to some "For rent" signs. Take alook at the "apartments'. Substandard wiring no smoke detectors, deteriorated windows. Things I wouldnt let a dog live in, much less families with children.

These slumlords don't care about their tenants they care about making a buck.

Private property owners can make reasonable repairs to their house. You can go on the city website and see what you can and cant do. When you need a contracxtor , when you dont.

In fact I think the city should streamline its permitting process to be in sync with cities of similar size. I think owners who buy vacant or foreclosed properties should recieve rebates of permit fees ( to encourage people to do it right) as an incentive to owner occupy.

It cost 12-15 K to demo a house. I'd rather see the city offering facade grants.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post

If you REALLY want Cincinnati toi thrive? . . . and HIRE more building inspectors.
A lot of people don't understand that Cincinnati is a 100% "complaint driven administration."
In other words, there are no patrols or inspections as to construction other than in furtherance of building permits. And there are plenty of inspectors for that system. If someone complains they are all over it. If no one complains, you could open day care in a trailer.

The exception to this is the CPD who for some reason feel free to disregard calls for police assistance if it involves anything that might also be a "civil matter" such as a home occupied by squatters, etc.

But as for the inspectors, building, trash, health department, etc., just a phone call and a confirming fax will usually bring them running.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-16-2009 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati