Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 135,313 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Miami, FL for a teaching position and WOW do I miss Cincinnati. The people here are extremely rude; they are the worst drivers in the world (as far as I know); they barely acknowledge you if you are not Hispanic (much less if you are outright WHITE); they also are simply engulfed by abject materialism, the likes of which I have never seen!
I am a lifelong Cincinnatian &, unfortunately, I did not know how great I had it. Horrible moving experience. Anybody with comparable experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Davis1071, I did it in reverse; Lived in Hollywood for my high school years, then joined the military and moved away. Have visited over the years. Now I'm married and living just south of Dayton. I deliver to one of the local retailers and just love driving around the Cincinnati area! As a "naturalized" Tri-Stater, I feel like I'm trying to play "catch-up" But all the local traditions and treats are WONDERFUL! Jungle Jim's and SO many other great retail and dining establishments, Cincinnati Museum Center and on and on! I've become a WLW and WGRR (Oldies 103.5) junkie! (If you didn't know it already, WLW streams online, maybe WGRR does, too but I just listen in the truck, mostly). Honestly, I didn't leave a DARN thing in South Florida that I'd want to go back for. Two weeks in the winter is nice, but that's all the FL I can stand...

Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,240 times
I moved from Cincinnati when I was just out of college at 22. I lived in Hawaii for a few years and have been in Los Angeles for just short of a decade. I can't wait to move back. Traffic, cost of living, quality of life, materialism to the point I have begun to change...you name it. And crime! I know Cincinnati is getting a bad rap, but if all the crime is concentrated in one small area, the rest of the city shouldn't worry. In LA, you can live in the Hollywood hills, but you have to come down sometime. You can own a 800K home in the San Fernando Valley, but the closest supermarket is in the barrio and you may be the only one speaking English, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the gang related homicide that occurred there last night. Sometimes you need to leave the nest to realize how comfortable it was....

Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
i definately feel you there... try moving to NEW YORK CITY... holy heck was that a change. Talk about no manners and WIERD accents... and no one even knows where Cincy is .... "Isn't that near Cleveland?"... after I heard that comment for the 100th time I decided it was just about time I get to going on back where I belonged.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 PM

59 posts, read 233,836 times
Default I cant believe I'm ready to go back home too!

I moved to florida over a year ago and I didnt think I would ever want to go back to cincy once i left but surprise,surprise!! I'm moving back home next year, dont get me wrong i have enjoyed my time in fl but not enough to make it home. To be honest it seems fl is worst off then ohio with crime,prop. taxes,low wage jobs,cost of living, overcrowding,insurance and everything in between. I'm looking forward to coming back although i will miss the weather here.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 PM

9 posts, read 24,671 times
We have been in Orlando for 5years. Moved here from Cincy. If I could get my husband to move back trust me I would be on the road tommorrow. We live in a good community but if you dont speak spanish you are out of luck. Good Luck on finding a good doctor or aleast one who speaks english. With what they pay here you cant afford much. I have a family and there is nothing to do here, just disney and the beaches but once you have been there its nothing special. Nothing like the festivals in Cincy. I miss Skyline and LaRosa's.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm not a native to Cincinnati; I moved there a couple of years after college, swore I was staying for a year or two, but got sucked in and stayed for 22 years.

Most of me wishes I still lived there instead of Philadelphia, where I've lived for three years. Aside from the obvious outrageous costs of living and housing, I find the East Coast much too crowded and the people much too abrupt. And while Cincinnati has its materialistic folks as well, I've noticed that attitude is much more pronounced here, as are the gaps among economic classes.

Cincinnati has its problems and it's far from perfect. But it can be a fabulous place to live. Even when you're a Browns fan.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
I lived in Cincinnati all my life up until the past six years. Employment was much better in Cincy and I would give my right arm for a LaRosa's pizza, Gold Star, Frisch's and White Castles, but other than that, I have no desire whatsoever to return there.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Talk about extremes! Going from such an awesome place as Cincinnati to a h*ll-pit like Miami? Wow...

Although not a Cincinnati native (duh! my handle sez it all) I have spent lots of time there over the years and it really is a cool place. As big cities go, it's among my favorites.

Miami...uck! Well, Mom always told me if I can't say anything nice...

So, I hope you'll find circumstances that favor a return to your lovely hometown soon...or at least lots of opportunities to come back and visit

Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM

59 posts, read 233,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I lived in Cincinnati all my life up until the past six years. Employment was much better in Cincy and I would give my right arm for a LaRosa's pizza, Gold Star, Frisch's and White Castles, but other than that, I have no desire whatsoever to return there.
Oh and penn station, and those awesome UDF malts! I'm not in hurry to get back my move will be a career move with the company I'm with and just for a short period of time before I'll leave again and hopefully I'll be gone for good. But you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati