Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 17,932 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I just moved into an apartment on Dana by Xavier University and I need to set up an internet provider ASAP. It seems that my two options are Road Runner and Zoomtown. Both are advertising promotions with Road Runner offering their Standard service (7.0 Mbps down and ~500 kbps up) for $35 for 12 months while Zoomtown has 5 Mbps down and ~700 kbps up (as advertised, anyway) for $30 a month for the same 12 months.

Now my main concern is that I plan on using my connection for such a large amount of stuff that I want it to be as good as possible. I plan on using it for gaming, streaming Netflix and Hulu videos (with my Xbox and comp), school work, downloading stuff, etc. I'm concerned that the DSL may be limited because I do not know where Zoomtown's "hub" is and I've heard that the further away you are from the DSL provider, the slower the connection. At the same time I think there may be a lot of people on Road Runner around here since I am close to the University and Time Warner is a popular option around here (most people I know use Time Warner) so I'm thinking this may slow down connection speeds.

I know cable is generally faster but, being in an apartment complex, I'm afraid that it may be slowed by the people around me. Is there anyone who has had experience with both or can tell me which one would be a better idea for my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aic173 View Post
Hey guys I just moved into an apartment on Dana by Xavier University and I need to set up an internet provider ASAP. It seems that my two options are Road Runner and Zoomtown. Both are advertising promotions with Road Runner offering their Standard service (7.0 Mbps down and ~500 kbps up) for $35 for 12 months while Zoomtown has 5 Mbps down and ~700 kbps up (as advertised, anyway) for $30 a month for the same 12 months.

Now my main concern is that I plan on using my connection for such a large amount of stuff that I want it to be as good as possible. I plan on using it for gaming, streaming Netflix and Hulu videos (with my Xbox and comp), school work, downloading stuff, etc. I'm concerned that the DSL may be limited because I do not know where Zoomtown's "hub" is and I've heard that the further away you are from the DSL provider, the slower the connection. At the same time I think there may be a lot of people on Road Runner around here since I am close to the University and Time Warner is a popular option around here (most people I know use Time Warner) so I'm thinking this may slow down connection speeds.

I know cable is generally faster but, being in an apartment complex, I'm afraid that it may be slowed by the people around me. Is there anyone who has had experience with both or can tell me which one would be a better idea for my needs?
Have you called Cincinnati Bell about speed options? I live in Northern Kentucky and my apartment was just converted over to fiber optic service. I now have download speed at 30 Mbps. In addition, I do not need phone service at all with this service.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 17,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyd01 View Post
Have you called Cincinnati Bell about speed options? I live in Northern Kentucky and my apartment was just converted over to fiber optic service. I now have download speed at 30 Mbps. In addition, I do not need phone service at all with this service.
Yeah I called them to ask if I could get Zoomtown in my apartment and gave them my address. They told me I could get DSL without a phone line and gave me the promo option for the 5.0 Mbps (which is otherwise $40). I don't want to spend more than $30 or $35 but I'm just not exactly sure if I should go with cable or DSL.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,582 times
Road Runner

Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 AM

71 posts, read 229,338 times
Go with RR.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,582 times
I was hitting 7.3-7.5 mbps with standard RR and with Zoomtown Max, I'm hitting 5.3.

Just a tidbit, on speedtest.net, Cincinnati Bell has the record for the fastest speed in the state of Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati