U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 41,321 times

Advertisements

Having mixed feeling because I would like to live in an area similiar to our Vinings/Smyrna area and not sure if that exist.
Can anyone help us out thats familiar with the Atlanta/Vinings area

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,851,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner1 View Post
Having mixed feeling because I would like to live in an area similiar to our Vinings/Smyrna area and not sure if that exist.
Can anyone help us out thats familiar with the Atlanta/Vinings area

Thanks..
Sure! Describe what Vinings/Smyrna have that you enjoy?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,465,907 times
I looked at some pages on that Vinings/Smyrna area in Atlanta. That's a pretty nice area. I'm not sure you will find exactly what you are looking for in Northern Ky. As much as I like N. Ky, I think Mason Ohio would be your best bet for a match. But, you should certainly check out Villa Hills in Kentucky. You'll probably like Villa Hills even if it isn't a match.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,911,710 times
Good news! There's NO kudzu anywhere in Northern KY or Ohio!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:33 PM

214 posts, read 751,184 times
I lived in north Fulton for a few years on a corporate relo, but I never spent much time in Vinings. I can compare parts of Cincinnati to the parts of Atlanta I know.

Mason is a lot like Alpharetta or parts of east Cobb. New homes, great schools, lots of relos, new stores that you would recognize, etc.

You might also like the feel of Union, Kentucky. It's a little like parts of northern Atlanta (including million dollar McMansions).

West Chester, Anderson, and Blue Ash in Cincinnati are like Roswell -- the "nice" areas of the 1970s through early 1990s with some neighborhoods that can seem a little dated now. Anderson is a short drive into Northern Kentucky over the I275 bridge on the east side of town.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Default What Vinings has

Its a very diversed trendy upscale area .
You can find lots of hardwoods in kitchen and main living area, spacious bedrooms and kitchens and a lot of open floor plans.. Lots of new developments.
We now live in a 3 story townhouse with 2 car garage ..very spacious, hardwoods, very large master with large bath. i just want to feel sort of at home with something similar.
There are great restaurants,parks, walking trails, and shopping all within minutes of our home. We don't have kids so schools are not important.
I did look at some things in the Union area, which seems to be very nice. Is anyone familiar with Triple Crown subdivision? We saw a couple of things there. Also i ran into a lady here thats from the Cincy area and she said Southgate area was also nice..
Thanks for all of your responses. 1 more thing is the snow really that bad there??

Old 09-27-2009, 05:03 PM

214 posts, read 751,184 times
The snow generally isn't bad, although a little snow on a very steep or curvy road can be dangerous. A lot of urban Cincinnati has steep hills. A lot of rural areas have curvy roads. The key is to drive slow and brake and turn carefully.

The one annual terrible ice storm is bad.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,851,282 times
So, you want diverse? Do you mean, culturally, racially, or economically?

Is the area you're referring to new construction, cookie-cutter or are you wanting something historical or with character?

Chain stores/restaurants?

Walkability important?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Default What Vinings has

Culturally as well as racially. Walkability not important. Chain as well as local restaurants,shopping is important new contruction, or newer homes.. Not historical.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,396 times
Culturally as well as racially. Walkability not important. Chain as well as local restaurants,shopping is important new contruction, or newer homes.. Not historical.
=============
i've lived in both places (currently in erlanger, ky, which is about 15 min south of the river). i think your best bet is burlington to fit your needs. endless new home construction and shopping nearby. not nearly the shopping you'll find in the atl, that's for sure. florence is about it. but it's real close to burlington. roads are being expanded to catch up to relieve rising traffic congestion, but compared to the atl, there is no congestion! or crime for that matter. you can throw out racial and cultural diversity. it's mostly white conservative here. local restaurants are sadly, very few and far between.

the area is extremely family oriented and having no children, i wish you luck making friends. it's a good ol' boy network of people who've lived here for generations, never left the area and neither will their kids. they already have their friends and family networks well established and don't seek to add to it-ESPECIALLY with those from outside the area. first question you'll be asked is "what high school did you go to?" amazingly small town mentality for a large metro area. burlington, however may bring you your best chance of rising above this. being so close to the airport, there is hope of meeting transplants who work there; they've actually ventured out into the rest of the world.

if i had to choose, i'll take n. ky over the atl, cause i was simply overwhelmed down there. the crime and traffic were horrific! but that's the tradeoff here-not nearly as much progress (if any), so the people aren't coming! the growth in the burlington/boone county area is largely movement within the metro area.

the snow isn't bad-10-20" a year, but you'll miss the sunny winter skies down there. the largest snowstorm i've seen in my 5 years is 11", and that was called a blizzard (lol). so that alone tells you it doesn't snow much here.

best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or