U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 17,282 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering moving to Cincinnati next year. I'm 26/m from NYC and engaged--we're both liberal, into arts and music, physically active. I'd work downtown in the Central Business District near Fountain Square; she'd work at the University of Cincinnati. We'd have a combined income of around $180k, and a combined student debt of around $250k. Looking for somewhere reasonable in cost (under $200k), safe, and not too far out. What are the best areas for that description in your learned opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:06 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlawyer2010 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering moving to Cincinnati next year. I'm 26/m from NYC and engaged--we're both liberal, into arts and music, physically active. I'd work downtown in the Central Business District near Fountain Square; she'd work at the University of Cincinnati. We'd have a combined income of around $180k, and a combined student debt of around $250k. Looking for somewhere reasonable in cost (under $200k), safe, and not too far out. What are the best areas for that description in your learned opinions?
I think you'd have fun living downtown. Do a search on here for downtown living. Others may chime in on this alternative. But, its a mainstream choice for a new lawyer from out of town and convenient to the University.

Note that OTR is not downtown. OTR is north of downtown and a whole different thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 AM

14 posts, read 17,282 times
Thanks for the advice. What is OTR?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:17 AM

398 posts, read 1,161,199 times
OTR = Over the Rhine

It is a very historic area with a colorful past. It has recently been transforming itself. There are some nice lofts down there. It's definitely urban living, if that is what you are looking for. It gets a bad rap and some people will tell you to steer clear from the area but if you are looking for urban/historic/diversity it might be up your alley.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlawyer2010 View Post
Thanks for the advice. What is OTR?

See above.

I have nothing against OTR. I go to work there every day. I just am pretty sure you would like downtown a lot better.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM

14,217 posts, read 23,915,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
OTR = Over the Rhine

It is a very historic area with a colorful past. It has recently been transforming itself. There are some nice lofts down there. It's definitely urban living, if that is what you are looking for. It gets a bad rap and some people will tell you to steer clear from the area but if you are looking for urban/historic/diversity it might be up your alley.
It gets a bad rap for a reason. It is an inner-city area that is heavily blighted and is a high crime area. (My family lived in OTR for years and we were parishioners at Old St. Mary's at E. 13th and Clay St.)

Yes, some developers have begun to rehab some of the properties, especially in the eastern portion of the area. However, this process is occurring very slowly and is on a block by block basis.

In my opinion, unless you are an urban pioneer who gets into rehabbing old properties, I would pass. Most people who like the urban lifestyle would like a place where you and your family can actually walk down the street after dinner and meet up with your neighbors and the like. OTR is not there yet.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,960,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Yes, some developers have begun to rehab some of the properties, especially in the eastern portion of the area. However, this process is occurring very slowly and is on a block by block basis.

In my opinion, unless you are an urban pioneer who gets into rehabbing old properties, I would pass. Most people who like the urban lifestyle would like a place where you and your family can actually walk down the street after dinner and meet up with your neighbors and the like. OTR is not there yet.
The "eastern" part, huh? lol ... bro, leave the recommendations for people who are familiar with an area.

This ain't your parent's Over-the-Rhine

This is why Cincinnati sucks

Actually, the GQ is one of the hottest areas for RE sales in the city.

Be careful who you get advice from, newlawyer2010 ... a quick google search of "jlawrence01" reveals a 'neck that seems to spend his time using his old family church experience to advise people to avoid the whole part of the neighborhood. Go to the Gateway Quarter sales office and talk to someone in person, let them show you around, and I'm sure you're smart enough to make your own decision. There are already projects that are completely sold out ... and I'm sure this is because people like yourself are pouring into the area while it's affordable. A neighborhood is either on the rebound, declining, or stagnant.

THE GATEWAY QUARTER , Urban Loft Condos in Downtown Cincinnati

Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 AM

14,217 posts, read 23,915,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Be careful who you get advice from, newlawyer2010 ... a quick google search of "jlawrence01" reveals a 'neck that seems to spend his time using his old family church experience to advise people to avoid the whole part of the neighborhood. Go to the Gateway Quarter sales office and talk to someone in person, let them show you around, and I'm sure you're smart enough to make your own decision. There are already projects that are completely sold out ... and I'm sure this is because people like yourself are pouring into the area while it's affordable. A neighborhood is either on the rebound, declining, or stagnant.
Absolutely agree, newlawyer. Walk up Elm St. to 16th St, Then head back south on Race St and see if ***YOU ARE*** comfortable walking that neighborhood at night.

I am a realist NOT a promoter.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think you'd have fun living downtown. Do a search on here for downtown living. Others may chime in on this alternative. But, its a mainstream choice for a new lawyer from out of town and convenient to the University.

Note that OTR is not downtown. OTR is north of downtown and a whole different thing.
OK, now that that's all over, here is your advice.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,960,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Absolutely agree, newlawyer. Walk up Elm St. to 16th St, Then head back south on Race St and see if ***YOU ARE*** comfortable walking that neighborhood at night.

I am a realist NOT a promoter.
... and I'm an area resident, not a 'neck who "knows" what it's like because my family have been going to St. Mary's for the past 200 years. lol

Who has a stronger opinion: someone that lives there, or someone that avoids the area because they think their life is in danger?

I never said that the area is 100% there yet, but you've completely avoided my point for good reason.

I'll ask, is OTR on the rebound, declining, or stagnant? Let's see how honest you are.

newlawyer2010, one search I found, jlawrence01 was warning people not to walk from DT to Findlay Market ... my 95 pound wife used to do this weekly!

The best crime prevention is eyes on the street and there isn't an area in the entire tri-state hotter than the GQ in OTR as far as sales go - NAME ONE. These condos are going to skyrocket in value in the next 10 years, see D.C. and Boston for perfect examples.

Wilson, you work in OTR near Liberty, right ... is 3CDC not converting abandoned buildings like crazy? Actually, about a week ago city council just approved for a slew of even more buildings to be renovated. Don't take my word for it ... go to the site and see the sales for yourself, it's all public knowledge!

http://www.gatewayquarter.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or