U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,799 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I are planning on moving to the Cincinnati area within the next year or so. We've lived in Marquette, MI our entire lives but we're ready for a change. The area is beautiful but we're getting sick of the endless winters and lack of activities. Most of our family has moved away so we really have no reason to stay.

My son took a job in Cincinnati last year and now lives with his wife and our grandkids in Mason. My daughter and her fiance also moved down to Cincinnati. They're living in an apartment somewhere in the city. So my family has begun to root themselves in the area while we're getting a little lonely all the way up here in Northern Michigan!

We're looking to live in a suburban setting, although we would prefer to live in or close to Mason, but at the same time we don't want to be too far from the city. All the major cities (Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago) were very far from Marquette so it would be a treat to be closer to a city. My wife and I are in our mid 50s (55 and 57 respectively) and would like to work for another decade or so. I'm a semi-retired teacher, but am willing to sub. My wife is a RN. There seems to be a demand for nurses everywhere but we would like to double check with the job situation in the area.

We'll be visiting for the first time for a couple weeks in late November and early December for the Thanksgiving holiday. But any information and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by gmoss4333; 10-11-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,676,913 times
You might want to look in Montgomery. It's a nice suburban area with easy access to major expressways, numerous parks, and safety. You can walk at any time of the night or day without fear. Bethesda North Hospital is in our community, so if your wife got hired there her commute would be minutes and you could sub for Sycamore Schools. It's about a twenty minute drive to get downtown from here and about the same distance to Mason. MY BIL lives in Marquette and I can see where the cold would get tiresome. Welcome to town!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:58 PM

398 posts, read 1,136,793 times
Mason is a beautiful area - so are nearby Montgomery, Loveland, and Blue Ash. They are all kind of expensive though - not sure of your price range. That might help people to point you in the right direction. Cinci has a lot of great 'burbs. You might also check out Springboro, as it is also very nice and not far from Mason... a bit north.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 25,181 times
Thumbs up Cinci

Have never lived there, but have been there several times.
I LOVE CINCY!
Beautiful city!
If I were going to live in OHIO, it would be CLEVELAND or CINCY!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM

We're willing to go as high as $350,000. But with the recession I'm sure we could find something really decent for much less.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 AM

66 posts, read 166,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoss4333 View Post
Hello. My wife and I are planning on moving to the Cincinnati area within the next year or so. We've lived in Marquette, MI our entire lives but we're ready for a change. The area is beautiful but we're getting sick of the endless winters and lack of activities. Most of our family has moved away so we really have no reason to stay.

My son took a job in Cincinnati last year and now lives with his wife and our grandkids in Mason. My daughter and her fiance also moved down to Cincinnati. They're living in an apartment somewhere in the city. So my family has begun to root themselves in the area while we're getting a little lonely all the way up here in Northern Michigan!

We're looking to live in a suburban setting, although we would prefer to live in or close to Mason, but at the same time we don't want to be too far from the city. All the major cities (Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago) were very far from Marquette so it would be a treat to be closer to a city. My wife and I are in our mid 50s (55 and 57 respectively) and would like to work for another decade or so. I'm a semi-retired teacher, but am willing to sub. My wife is a RN. There seems to be a demand for nurses everywhere but we would like to double check with the job situation in the area.

We'll be visiting for the first time for a couple weeks in late November and early December for the Thanksgiving holiday. But any information and advice would be appreciated.
There are many nursing jobs in the area as Cincinnati is a big medical hub. On another note, there are many suburbs I could recommend. If you want a more established area with older trees, a nice little downtown/main street area I'd recommend Madeira, Mariemont, Kenwood, Montgomery, Wyoming, Blue Ash, Loveland, Glendale, Evendale, and Lebanon( farthest out but a very nice town and the county seat located in Central Warren Co.). Within Cincinnati limits, I'd recommend Hyde Park, Columbia Tusculum, or Mount Lookout. Other very nice suburbs/areas I'd recommend are Symmes Twp, Deerfield Twp/Landen, Hamilton Township, Liberty Township, West Chester, and Anderson Twp. I would just look around some of these areas and check out houses on sibcycline.com before making a decision. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,369 times
gmoss,

Just wanted to add my two cents to what everyone else has been saying. As far as where to live, I am sure you want to be as close to your grandkids as possible. I would recommend living in Mason or West Chester in that case. Living there would put you 30 minutes or less from downtown Cincinnati. A little closer to the city would be Montgomery, Loveland, and Blue Ash, which would put you 20 minutes or less from downtown, but 15 minutes or less from Mason. In all of these areas, you could definitely find a home in your price range.

There is currently no nursing shortage in the area. Most hospitals are on a hiring freeze and not looking for new applicants. I know this because my fiancee is currently going to school for her MSN (nursing masters) and is in the process of applying for jobs. However, your wife probably has lots of experience and might have better luck.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,347,881 times
I'd look into Montgomery if you want a posh 'burb, Mason if you want a sprawl-burb, Morrow if you want a little more country, and Mariemont if you want more urban and unique.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:17 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,846,421 times
^ I agree.

If you're going to choose suburban (which in my opinion will see free-falling homeprices) ... AT LEAST choose something with character, Montgomery or Mariemont.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM

We will certainly take a detailed tour of the region! Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc294 View Post

There is currently no nursing shortage in the area. Most hospitals are on a hiring freeze and not looking for new applicants. I know this because my fiancee is currently going to school for her MSN (nursing masters) and is in the process of applying for jobs. However, your wife probably has lots of experience and might have better luck.
That is quite surprising. Hopefully my wife will be able to find something down there. We're not desperate for jobs and we're in good shape financially, but she's not ready to retire. She loves working.

Best of luck to your fiancee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or