Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,871 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking into potential neighborhoods for our first home. We're in our mid-20's currently living in Covington, and even though we are both from Cinti, we need help with good neighborhoods/school districts.
Unfortunately, our top picks are in CPS district ie. Oakley, Mt. Lookout, Pleasant Ridge, Hyde Park (preference to central Cinti), and we're not interested in private or Catholic schooling, so those areas are out. So, now we're trying to think outside of the box!
Our budget is the $130's with the location no further north than the Kenwood area.
Any suggestions??

Does anyone know anything about Fairfax? I've researched a little and I know it's in Mariemont schools which is good...other than that, I don't know much.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
I've read that the schools are quite good in Ft Thomas, KY. It's also only about 10 minutes from downtown Cincinnati and it's in Kentucky; tax freedom day comes a full 8 days earlier for Kentuckians (The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®)

Old 10-30-2009, 01:54 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I think Fairfax could well be a hidden gem under the radar, for the longtime association with it has been with a blue-collar "hick/hillbilly" demographic much as is true of Norwood. But while the houses may be considerably more modest than those a stone's throw up Wooster Pike, and the average level of completed education of its residents is lower, those houses are fastidiously maintained and the neighborhoods continue to be close-knit and friendly therefore safe. If "status" in the form of snobbery isn't an issue, you could do well by investing there.
Milford, Silverton, and Deer Park also immediately come to mind on the east side, although Silverton is tied in with CPS (with its own primary-grade school) and the public districts of the other communities fall short of top tier. Looking toward the west, some logical choices would be White Oak, Monfort Heights, or Delhi, where the respective school systems of Northwest (for the first two) and Oak Hills score well but if you're not Catholic you could lose some street cred.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 AM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default Neighborhoods

If you are looking in Deerpark, you may want to add Dillonvale. Also, maybe consider Anderson.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,871 times
Thanks goyguy, good info... thankfully we have the street cred in Delhi (we actually grew up there) but to most people's surprise, we aren't the typical "conservative west siders." We have started to reconsider that area though because of the prices and Oak Hills district.

I did hear that Fairfax and Deer Park got the "hillbilly" stereotypes but since status isn't our thing, maybe we'll check them out. I just wonder if the kids in Mariemont ridicule the Fairfax kids?

Anderson and Ft. Thomas are also good places that we'll add to the list.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I really love Dillonvale. It's small, walkable, safe, and friendly. Most of my friends had their first homes in Dillonvale and quite a few are sorry they ever left.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Dillonvale is scrunched between Deer Park and Amberley Village. If I'm not mistaken, kids from there would attend Deer Park schools.
Re Mariemont vs Fairfax, I think that the same would hold true as it does in other locales (including Wyoming, my home for most of my younger years.) Up until perhaps as late as fourth grade, the children would interact freely without regard to economic status. After that - with no small amount of "parental guidance" - most of the social networks would center around income level, with the twain rarely meeting except in the case of some Big People on Campus. Outside of some deliberate meanness ("Oh m'gawd, Crystal, you've never been skiing, that's like the most pathetic thing ev-vurrr") the factions would coexist peacefully.
Adjacent to Deer Park and also lacking in "airs" is Reading, which might also merit some scrutiny. Both of these communities have older town centers, along with post-WWII developments chock full of unremarkable but solid brick ranch and Cape Cod houses. (Not unlike a good bit of Delhi!) They're also traversed by the Cross County Highway, as well as arteries like Ridge Ave + Plainfield Rd + of course Reading Rd, to make for easy access into the city and other suburbs. In terms of schools, both towns have a high college-attendance rate but can boast few if any Ivy Leaguers among their alumni.
Still farther (maybe too far?) north, Sharonville and Springdale might also fit the bill, being that they fall squarely into the "middle-class" category. They're two of the six wildly differing communities served by the Princeton schools, which do a good enough job that a lot of parents from upper-crust Glendale have no problem sending their offspring to them. With healthy representation from most demographic strata along with substantial (35-40%) "minority" presence, no one feels singled out or otherwise insecure. With the help of - or despite - "parental guidance," a lot of genuine and lasting bonds are formed across all sorts of lines as a consequence.
My favorite Website for house fantasizing is Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps, because you can search by ZIP code as well as by neighborhood/city and even view foreclosed properties separately. Best o' luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati