Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM

37 posts, read 151,043 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking for any information regarding the areas of Hartwell, St. Bernard, and College Hill.

I ask about these areas because while searching for a home on the sibcycline.com site, I've come across some seemingly really nice renovated, historic homes for sale in these mentioned neighborhoods. The asking price of these homes are incredibly affordable as well.

We are currently in the market for a large home as we are a big family of 7- myself, husband, and our five still-growing children . DIVERSITY IS A MUST, as we are an AA, practicing Muslim family. We would like our children to experience people of all races/ethnicities (non ignorant, of course ; ). Originally, we had planned to move to the West Chester/Mason area, HOWEVER, we are now re-thinking that because it would be quite a commute to work for my husband (he works for an engineering firm in downtown Cincy). We are also investigating the Northern KY area (excluding Covington). I am a nurse, and since jobs are abundantly plentiful in my career field (thank God), I can be more flexible as far as employment location is concerned. I currently work for a health care facility five minutes from our home right now (Fairfield area), but am willing to commute no more than 15 mins. Although I homeschool our children, I still would like to live in an area that hosts an exceptional school district. I realize the areas I am requestiong info about is in the Cincy public school district which I will not ever send my children to, God Willing. We would just pay for private school.

Ok, enough rambling, thanks for any help you are able to give.

Sincerely,
Cincynurse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 PM

292 posts, read 990,767 times
I'm familiar with those neighboorhooods. I would drive around those neighboorhoods on the streets surronding your prospective house on a weekend night. What turned me off to Hartwell and St. Bernard is the smell in the air at night.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
I'm familiar with those neighboorhooods. I would drive around those neighboorhoods on the streets surronding your prospective house on a weekend night. What turned me off to Hartwell and St. Bernard is the smell in the air at night.
The smell in the air at night???? Oh boy....uh, say no more. Thanks alot for the advice Zorst!

Cincynurse

Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 AM
StB

8 posts, read 36,438 times
I reccomend St. Bernard, probably because I live there haha...but anyway, St. Bernard is actually not in Cincinnati Public. It has its own school district.. It's not exceptional, but it recently got an "effective" rating, and the elementary school is pretty good, but there is also St. Clement which is a catholic elementary school in St. Bernard. But, St. Bernard is not very diverse, and I don't know if there are any large enough homes for sale right now.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 70,503 times
Default Nch

i prefer north college hill. i my opinion it is the best for you because it is the most diverse and family friendly. NCH doesnt have the best school system, but has very nice private schools nearby. most of NKY is very family friendly and your best bet for safety, but i would never recomend you move there if you are an african american muslim family! hope this helps

Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM

CuriousGeorge1,

Thanks for your reply and advice...I was very familiar with N. College Hill when I was a teenager. But, the last time I drove through N. College Hill, it seemed a bit, well, undesireable. Maybe it was the particular part I drove though (Hamilton Avenue strip)..I saw alot of thuggish looking people strutting around or loitering around...Not saying that ALL people in N. College Hill are thuggish, but that's just what I observed on that particular day. I'll take a more thorough look at the area.

I'm disappointed to hear that about NKY though. What a shame.

Cincynurse

Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM

19 posts, read 70,503 times
Default look north

id have to agree with you that NCH is getting to look a little more run down everytime i drive through. if i where you, id look to the suburbs directly north of NCH. imo mt healthy is better than NCH and is very close by. also seven hills all the way up to forest park. (depending on how far north you are willing to go. these are all accepting to AA's and are in afforable suburban locations. also try looking in the northgate area of colerain township. again, non of these areas have top notch public schools, but they do have pretty nice private schools nearby.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,408,283 times
Have you considered possibly checking out Sharonville, or maybe Wyoming? I used to work with a lady that was Hindu (I know, not the same as Muslim) and she lived with her family in Sharonville. It's a shame your husband wouldn't want to commute to downtown, because West Chester or Liberty really would be your best bet, since there is a mosque up in this area. But I certainly understand the desire to live closer to work.

Hope maybe this helps some.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge1 View Post
id have to agree with you that NCH is getting to look a little more run down everytime i drive through. if i where you, id look to the suburbs directly north of NCH. imo mt healthy is better than NCH and is very close by. also seven hills all the way up to forest park. (depending on how far north you are willing to go. these are all accepting to AA's and are in afforable suburban locations. also try looking in the northgate area of colerain township. again, non of these areas have top notch public schools, but they do have pretty nice private schools nearby.
Curiousgeorge1,

Thanks for your reply...hmm, interesting choice of words - "accepting to AA"....To clarify, although I am AA, I do not want to be in an prodominantly AA community...When I speak of diversity, I mean exactly that - a potpurri of sorts...I am already very familiar with the areas you last mentioned - I actually grew up in Forest Park and graduated from FPHS ('90) and I'm sorry to say that it too is going downhill in quite of few of the neighborhoods...Oh, what used to be...But to suggest Seven Hills????? I was ROBBED in Seven Hills about one month ago (Against my better judgement, I was passing through and stopped at the Taco Bell that is there on Hamilton Ave because the kids wanted a taco or two....IT WAS BROAD AFTERNOON DAYLIGHT, and two thugs took my bags of food right out of my hands IN THE RESTAURANT!!)...I gave the bags up without a fuss because I wasn't about to get shot up over a bag of tacos!...Have you actually seen the area lately? If so, is it because I'm AA that you think that I would accept such an area?? I guess I'm just surprised you would even suggest it...Would you recommend the area to your mother, sister, daughter, or friends?? It's a completely crime ridden GHETTO over there.

Don't take my words as harsh, that truly is not my tone - I'm actually sort of laughing at the suggestion...

Thanks though,
Cincynurse

Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Have you considered possibly checking out Sharonville, or maybe Wyoming? I used to work with a lady that was Hindu (I know, not the same as Muslim) and she lived with her family in Sharonville. It's a shame your husband wouldn't want to commute to downtown, because West Chester or Liberty really would be your best bet, since there is a mosque up in this area. But I certainly understand the desire to live closer to work.

Hope maybe this helps some.
WCRob,

Thank you for your reply...YES, I am very enchanted with Wyoming right now and am getting familiar with the available houses for sale...I have to admit, as a large family, we won't get much house for the $$ - at least not the size we would like to have...We are looking in about the $250,00 - $290,000 range...And YES, West Chester/Liberty Township are is still in the top five of our choices right now - before coming back to homeschooling, all five of ourchildren attended the private international academy that is hosted by the mosque there...excellent academics, diversity (different parts of the WORLD), small, intimate, family-oriented environment...not without a price though $ : )... we just prefer the freedom of homeschooling...You are right about that area being ideal for us, I think we realize it but are "just seeing" what else is in the area...I'm beginning to see not much (at least for a family such as ours). I like the vibe of Liberty Township. But West Chester seems more diverse. I haven't looked too much into Sharonville, but I'll check it out!

Thanks again,
Cincynurse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati