Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefosho View Post
BTW here are some more accounts of people who move to Cincinnati and get the "locals only" vibe as well.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
No doubts that you can find a few people disenfranchised with the Cincinnati area. The fact is, people are people no matter where you live. You'll find friendly people and rude people.

However, I moved to Cincinnati 2 years ago and I've had nothing but great experiences. Not only does the city have tons of great things to do, it has tons of great people to do them with. My thought is, if you found a rude, stick-in-the-mud people, find some new people to hang out with. There are over 2-million people in the Cincinnati metro, certainly there's someone who you can get along with. If not, maybe the problem isn't "everybody else" after all...

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Well I have to admit that Cincinnati does have an insular vibe to it. However this is true for many midwestern towns. The keyword being towns.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well I have to admit that Cincinnati does have an insular vibe to it. However this is true for many midwestern towns. The keyword being towns.
So are we to understand that being a town is a bad thing? My sense of well being tells me feeling a part of the town you live in is a good thing. It may take a bit longer to be accepted by the local townspeople, but once you are it is for life. Make up your mind - are you a here today gone tomorrow type, or one who actually wants to establish roots somewhere.

I am extremely proud my ancestors from Germany decided to settle here in Cincinnati in the 1800's. The majority of us since then have been born here, raised our kids here, and will die here. If you have family, you have everything. What else is there?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
As an "outsider" myself, I found this area to be extremely attractive, and the people very nice and friendly. I know a lot of people that have moved to this region from elsewhere in the country and love it here.

Its all of what you make out of it. If you want to be negative, its going to be negative, if you want to make the best of it and be positive, you will have a much better outlook.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
As an "outsider" myself, I found this area to be extremely attractive, and the people very nice and friendly. I know a lot of people that have moved to this region from elsewhere in the country and love it here.

Its all of what you make out of it. If you want to be negative, its going to be negative, if you want to make the best of it and be positive, you will have a much better outlook.
2 high fives, a twirl and a snap for you! Rep points ALL around...

Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So are we to understand that being a town is a bad thing? My sense of well being tells me feeling a part of the town you live in is a good thing. It may take a bit longer to be accepted by the local townspeople, but once you are it is for life. Make up your mind - are you a here today gone tomorrow type, or one who actually wants to establish roots somewhere.

I am extremely proud my ancestors from Germany decided to settle here in Cincinnati in the 1800's. The majority of us since then have been born here, raised our kids here, and will die here. If you have family, you have everything. What else is there?
No towns aren't bad. Just understand that many people prefer the vibe of a city. People kind of expect a town to be cliquish even though many are not. People don't expect that out of a city.

And don't get it twisted. I want to establish roots. I just don't want to establish them here.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Several of the posters here who have not had "good" experiences seem to be using Cincinnati as a stopping off point on their journey to their final "destination". IMHO, you are going to look at what you find from a different perspective if you are just "passing through" than if you plan to "settle down". Many people around you have the ability to sense that feeling and may get the idea, right or wrong, that it is not in their best interest to put a lot of effort in the relationship as you have no intention of staying around and cultivating the friendship possibilities that exist.

Size of the community is irrelevant. 35 years ago I took a job in a town of about 7,000 people with the intention when I went in of only staying a couple of years and then moving on. The people there were, in my mind, amicable, but not what I would call warm and friendly. After 3 years I took a different job in a different town about the same size. This was in an area where I intended to stay. I found the people to be warm, caring, and very helpful. As I look back now, I realize the people around me were acting the same, I was just looking at it from a different perspective.

We currently have our house on the market as I have retired and DW was laid off last spring. Our plan when the house sells is to move to the Metro Cincinnati area. I am fully expecting to find people there who are friendly, helpful, and caring. I sure hope so anyhow, as we have no plans to ever move again.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Several of the posters here who have not had "good" experiences seem to be using Cincinnati as a stopping off point on their journey to their final "destination". IMHO, you are going to look at what you find from a different perspective if you are just "passing through" than if you plan to "settle down". Many people around you have the ability to sense that feeling and may get the idea, right or wrong, that it is not in their best interest to put a lot of effort in the relationship as you have no intention of staying around and cultivating the friendship possibilities that exist.

Size of the community is irrelevant. 35 years ago I took a job in a town of about 7,000 people with the intention when I went in of only staying a couple of years and then moving on. The people there were, in my mind, amicable, but not what I would call warm and friendly. After 3 years I took a different job in a different town about the same size. This was in an area where I intended to stay. I found the people to be warm, caring, and very helpful. As I look back now, I realize the people around me were acting the same, I was just looking at it from a different perspective.

We currently have our house on the market as I have retired and DW was laid off last spring. Our plan when the house sells is to move to the Metro Cincinnati area. I am fully expecting to find people there who are friendly, helpful, and caring. I sure hope so anyhow, as we have no plans to ever move again.
Well I am sure you will, because you sound like determined people who make the best out of their situation.

Best of luck to wherever you and your wife end up moving to.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 AM

26 posts, read 52,581 times
One more thing here. To anyone that thinks I don't like Cincy, I do like Cincy. I want the best for it, but it needs to adjust and oust ****ty Mayors like Mallory if it wants to go anywhere.

Over-the-Rhine is a great example of Cincinnati's missed oppertunities. That place should be thriving. Cincy needs to represent its German heritage like New Orleans represents its French heritage.

Also, P and G can't sustain the entire metro area forever, so you (the citizens of Cincy) need to decide if you want a Detroit or a San Francisco or somewhere in between. Mediocrity isn't going to cut it anymore.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
For those who comment P&G cannot hold up the whole area, maybe you have overlooked Federated Department Stores, Kroger, and GE Aviation. I believe they are still all headquartered here. If you want mediocre look somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati