U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,307 times

Advertisements

Hi - I moved to Cincinnati 3 weeks ago (was relocated for my job). I only know a few people here who I have met through work. I'd like to get to know some people outside of my job, any ideas? I'm wondering what the popular places for a people around ages 24-35ish to hang out at in the Hyde Park area. I'm living in Hyde Park and I see lots of restaurants and bars everywhere but its hard to tell what the 'scene' is at these places without going to all of them. I'm not into super snobby bars but I don't want to hang out with a bunch of college kids either. I'd like to meet other young professionals (I'm a 23yr old female). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM

8,636 posts, read 12,308,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCinci View Post
Hi - I moved to Cincinnati 3 weeks ago (was relocated for my job). I only know a few people here who I have met through work. I'd like to get to know some people outside of my job, any ideas? I'm wondering what the popular places for a people around ages 24-35ish to hang out at in the Hyde Park area. I'm living in Hyde Park and I see lots of restaurants and bars everywhere but its hard to tell what the 'scene' is at these places without going to all of them. I'm not into super snobby bars but I don't want to hang out with a bunch of college kids either. I'd like to meet other young professionals (I'm a 23yr old female). Any suggestions?
My 20 something sons tell me that Millions in Mt. Lookout is a good hookup bar, Tellers has a regular polished crowd, The Pub in Rookwood is a great place to meet a friend for drinks at the bar, MLT has a somewhat rough late night crowd. Arthur's has good eats and goes on all night. Sounds like Millions. But, is there really any place you can go alone when you are 23 and female? You will need a girlfriend or two to be comfortable in any of these spots.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,307 times
Ok thanks, having a couple of recommendations helps, I have heard of several of those places. No, I definitely wouldn't go out alone... it's not safe and I'm not THAT outgoing to go have a fun time by myself.
I am hoping people here are friendly. I've lived in a couple of places (GA, SC, WI) and people were very nice all over but I heard that Cincinnati is very cliquish, hopefully that's not really the case.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 27,972 times
You should take salsa dancing lessons! There are a lot of professional people that do that and have built a nice little community where people of all ages, professions, and hues can have fun. I've been taking lessons for a while now and I've met some pretty amazing people in the process. If interested in learning the closest place to you is Kamasalsa in Mt. Lookout. The places where people dance are The Mad Frog on Mondays; Havana Martini Club on Wednesdays and Fridays; I think the Corinthian on Fridays as well, and El Habenero on Saturdays. Mad Frog and Corinthian are in Clifton, Havana is downtown, El habenero is in Fairfield

And cincy is very cliquish. That's why it's best to venture to different neighborhoods and build yourself a nice base of friends from different sects in the community.It's easier to invade cliques that way.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,441,590 times
Cincinnati isnt any more clique-ish then anywhere else ive been. I seem to find that certain areas and certain bars can be clique-ish but not an entire city. For instance, if you go to Mt Adams, prepare to be dressed very preppy and see a lot of people who are the same. A little too uptight for my liking but even i go up there now and again. Being in the Hyde Park area you have plenty of good places to go. Probably a few even within walking distance which is always a good thing. Its a safe area and im sure you will meet a lot of people. Send me a message if you want some more detailed info!

G Man

Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM

4,093 posts, read 6,400,072 times
I like Zip's in Mt Lookout Square, which has been a favorite after-work spot in Cincinnati for generations. They've occupied the last building in the Delta Ave commercial strip (headed north from the square) since about 1930. The burgers that "everybody" talks about are good if overrated, and the electric train running around towards the ceiling is a hoot (and a helpful distraction, or conversation starter.) People from all over the area go; matter of fact, I first heard about it a long long time ago from co-workers in Sharonville. So you wouldn't see folks only from a certain neighborhood or economic ranking by any means. It's much more of a "friendly" atmosphere as opposed to "meat market."
The hole-in-the-wall sushi place on Delta called Dancing Wasabi looks intriguing, in large part due to its staying open insanely late by Cincinnati standards. But I'd ask around first before dropping by at, say, 2:45 AM on a Thursday. It could just as easily be a spot where fun people go who aren't ready to call it a night as it could be a watering hole for frustrated guys to have one for the road in before going home alone.
You might also want to see what's what in Oakley, particularly along Madison Rd. Just as Clifton joints cater heavily toward students and those of Northside heavily toward artsy boho types, Mt Lookout and Hyde Park (aka "Hype Park") are sort of permeated by a WASP'y preppie feel that can get old fast if you're not into J Crew and skiing and Hilton Head. Oakley, as well as nearby Norwood and O'Bryonville, are historically blue-collar sections that're getting reinvigorated by native and transplanted younger folks. So the sense of turf and level of pretentiousness would be noticeably lower.
Of course, in terms of making social connections there are also the tried-and-true methods of joining a "faith community" or doing volunteer work.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM

8,636 posts, read 12,308,487 times
Oh, Geez, Goyguy. You must be as old as me. You won't find the J Crew crowd in Hyde Park any more. Or anything approaching "preppie." Hehehe. And, Zip's is a great place to take the wife and kids for a Saturday afternoon burger, or a late night stop for some eats with the guys. But there really is no social scene there. Actually, never was. I've been in Zip's once a month for 50 years and I don't think I ever saw a girl meet a guy she didn't already know there. Millions is the place in Mt. Lookout.

Oakley is interesting. Habits is a raucous place. Animations is not a place to send your little sister with a friend, unless the friend is the Hulk. But people do hook up there. I don't know about the new place on Markbreit, Oakley Pub or something. It looks good from the outside but I have never been there. Deweys is a fun place. Best pizza crust in the world. But, no real social scene.

Did we mention the East End Cafe? For the adventursome, it can be a lot of fun. Again, I wouldn't send my little sister there without back up. The neighborhood around it sucks. Park right out in front or keep on driving.

One more point on Hyde Park. Most people even from around here do not realize that Hyde Park is its own destination. People come from all over Cincinnati to hang out in Hyde Park. Most of the people you see at the HP bars are not from Hyde PArk. But, they know its safe and upscale. They can park a block away from the bar or restaurant and not worry. And, a visiting thug or disorderly person on the Square will last about 5 minutes. We call for police service at the drop of a hat (or the drop of a fast food bag in the street). Love it or hate it, it is safe. You could sleep on the park benches on the Square and still have your wallet when you wake up. But, the cops would move you along after 20 winks.

I do think that Lookout Joe's coffee house and Awakenings on HP Square are probably more wholesome places to meet new people. But, then, its usually the alcohol that gets things moving.

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-01-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

345 posts, read 520,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCinci View Post
I've lived in a couple of places (GA, SC, WI) and people were very nice all over but I heard that Cincinnati is very cliquish, hopefully that's not really the case.
It is but it isn't. It all depends. Most native Cincinnatians are of the cliquish type, only hanging with who they went to school with. But the transplants I've met here, I've made strong friendships with. I guess you just have to have an open mind.

Last edited by badguykc; 01-03-2010 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: fixing a quote error

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 15,762 times
Mt. Lookout for sure

Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,443 times
meetup.com is a great place to meet people to hang out with whatever your interest you can probably find a group or start your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati